Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch off dilemma. What should I do?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RSINNOTT.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pinellas County, Florida
United States
Member #151493
January 18, 2014
35 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2014, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I collect losing scratch offs. Today I was at a gas station and saw a guy scratching several $20 and $25 scratch offs. I asked if I could have his losers, he gave them to me. I left the store and when I looked over them I saw that one of them won. It was only $25 but I still think hat I should go back to the store and try to get in touch with him. Am I crazy? Should I just count his as good luck or try to find the rightful owner?

You gotta be in it to win it.

p4wanbi's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    WA
    United States
    Member #122238
    January 27, 2012
    180 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2014, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

It depends, if he is a casual player and that you feel bad then give it back to him. He may have given you all the tickets without rechecking to see if he had won or he may have inadvertantly given it to you without realizing it's a winner.

Go with your gut telling you to do.

playing what can be afforded...spend half of what was reclaimed.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4144 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2014, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

I collect losing scratch offs. Today I was at a gas station and saw a guy scratching several $20 and $25 scratch offs. I asked if I could have his losers, he gave them to me. I left the store and when I looked over them I saw that one of them won. It was only $25 but I still think hat I should go back to the store and try to get in touch with him. Am I crazy? Should I just count his as good luck or try to find the rightful owner?

I asked if I could have his losers, he GAVE them to me.

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
        Yonkers, NY
        United States
        Member #127830
        May 10, 2012
        123 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2014, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Well, He rightfully gave them to you.. so it's not your fault..  It's yours now... If you have seen this person many times before.. Give it back if you want... But if it was someone you only seen once in your life and probably will never see again...  What a person does not know won't hurt em... Count your blessings.. If you feel weird about it still..pay it forward... donate it to charity.. Hyper

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: January 30, 2014, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Would you want it returned if it was yours?

He may have realized later that he put that winner in with the losers he gave you.

Do the right thing and return it. 

You'll feel good about yourself and good things will come back to you.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
            TX
            United States
            Member #121193
            January 4, 2012
            1637 Posts
            Posted: January 30, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Let your conscious be your guide....Just remember, Karma has away coming back(good or bad)

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3159 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2014, 1:27 am - IP Logged

I would give it back. Those losing tickets may help out big time if you can use them.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19895 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2014, 10:58 am - IP Logged

"I collect losing scratch offs.......I asked if I could have his losers, he gave them to me."

Since you were only interested in collecting losers why do even have to think about giving his winner back?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2014, 11:02 am - IP Logged

To help clarify your moral dilemma, change $25 to $25,000 and then see what your gut reaction is.

LAKE HAVASU AZ
                    United States
                    Member #44729
                    August 8, 2006
                    446 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2014, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

.................karma........... the good the bad the ugly..........

some day....some day

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #149492
                      December 2, 2013
                      919 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2014, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I would at least go back to the station and ask the clerk.  It's possible that by you asking, he didn't check his tickets as carefully as he normally does because you were standing there waiting for him to hand you the tickets.  Perhaps, the guy was a passerby and there would be no way to return the ticket, but at least you tried.

Pinellas County, Florida
                        United States
                        Member #151493
                        January 18, 2014
                        35 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2014, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

As I anticipated, split reactions. Yea it's not like I've ever seen this guy before and I don't even normally buy my lottery tickets there. After work though I'm going to stop by and ask if he is a regular and leave my business card. If no one calls me in 30 days i think I'll cash it.

You gotta be in it to win it.