Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 12:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TLC The Lottery Changed My Life

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Mattapan.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2014, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

I too agree these shows prove anyone can win.  An update on the winners lives today would be interesting.  I would not be a participant, preferring to disappear on my terms.

They got one lejardin its called big jackpots big changes and I think they will play it on the 8th too

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
    Member #118609
    November 4, 2011
    1053 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2014, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Shelby, that should be interesting, just what I would like to see.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1203 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2014, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Are you kidding?

It can be a great learning experience.

Plus it can help you save money on travel expenses.

Cuz once you've seen the Fabulous Ficks, you will have experienced Kentucky and you'll never have to go there!

In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread where everybody talks about their favorite scene from the Fabulous Ficks.

I'm particularly fond of the one with Junior demonstrating his mastery of the Kung Fu Sword in the motel room.

It was spellbinding.

You are so right. The kung fu demo is almost impossible to beat, close second is Cynthia shopping for $20 million jets when she only took home $21 million.

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2014, 11:35 am - IP Logged

You are so right. The kung fu demo is almost impossible to beat, close second is Cynthia shopping for $20 million jets when she only took home $21 million.

LOL I saw that one with Stafford. One jet was 5 million and the other was 8 million, but what they left out was the price of the

1. Pilot

2. Storage (cant keep a lear jet in your homes garage LOL)

3. Maintenance

4. Gas

To me jets are for billionaires, theres alot of companies where you can just buy time in one or even rent one

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
          Member #142686
          May 17, 2013
          94 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2014, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I've never seen it so thanks for the heads up I will dvr it!

United States
            Member #118609
            November 4, 2011
            1053 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2014, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Great!  I think anyone interested in the lottery will enjoy these!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
              Texas Panhandle
              United States
              Member #136843
              December 20, 2012
              1360 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2014, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I remember one episode w/ a gay couple;  one guy had won a lottery, but it wasn't a "huge" one, something like 4.5 million.  He had already bought a nice car for himself and a luxury one for his partner and some other stuff and they were shopping for a house.  The real estate agent was showing them several homes and the partner was really pushing for the guy to buy a huge place which cost something like two million, trying to talk him into it because it had a separate wing for his mother to live in.  I don't remember their names,  exact amt. of the jackpot or price of the house, but I do remember thinking he wasn't going to have a whole lot left after IF he did buy that place.  I wonder what became of them, if they're now broke or if he wised up and jetted his partner for being so high maintenance.*  Anybody remember that show?

*I also remember that the guy who won the jackpot was a good size fellow and his partner was a skinny dude, several inches shorter. I'm not gay, but if I were, I'd try to find a partner close to my size so we could share a wardrobe. <grin>

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
               - George Orwell

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                United States
                Member #50210
                March 1, 2007
                843 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2014, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

I remember one episode w/ a gay couple;  one guy had won a lottery, but it wasn't a "huge" one, something like 4.5 million.  He had already bought a nice car for himself and a luxury one for his partner and some other stuff and they were shopping for a house.  The real estate agent was showing them several homes and the partner was really pushing for the guy to buy a huge place which cost something like two million, trying to talk him into it because it had a separate wing for his mother to live in.  I don't remember their names,  exact amt. of the jackpot or price of the house, but I do remember thinking he wasn't going to have a whole lot left after IF he did buy that place.  I wonder what became of them, if they're now broke or if he wised up and jetted his partner for being so high maintenance.*  Anybody remember that show?

*I also remember that the guy who won the jackpot was a good size fellow and his partner was a skinny dude, several inches shorter. I'm not gay, but if I were, I'd try to find a partner close to my size so we could share a wardrobe. <grin>

I saw that episode and found the partner who had a high pitched voice to be really annoying. I believe they were looking at a house that cost more than what he took home from his win. These folks simply had no clue and unfortunately have the same financial aptitude as other jackpot winners such as Cynthia Stafford.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1360 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2014, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I saw that episode and found the partner who had a high pitched voice to be really annoying. I believe they were looking at a house that cost more than what he took home from his win. These folks simply had no clue and unfortunately have the same financial aptitude as other jackpot winners such as Cynthia Stafford.

Didn't the guy who won want to do something "useful" with the money, like go to cooking school and open a restaurant?  I agree w/ you about the partner, he was a prissy guy, playing up to the swishing, limp-wristed stereotype.  (I've known several gay men, a couple of them were good friends and I roughnecked with one. I wouldn't have known they were gay except they told me...more "manly" than many hetero guys I've known)

United States
                    Member #149820
                    December 9, 2013
                    644 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2014, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Yeah Burt and Jamie were their names. Burt won like 3.2 million on a slot machine in Dover Downs I think, he has an upper management job also something like a executive recruitment position or something in the like, he bought a mercedes truck for his boyfriend and bought his boyfriends mom a mercedes as well. They look at some expensive houses but I dont think they bought any of them with Burt saying they were out of their price range

Texas Panhandle
                      United States
                      Member #136843
                      December 20, 2012
                      1360 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2014, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks f/ the names;  I Googled them and found this post in the "Television Without Pity" site:

"Anyone see what I think was the latest ep with the gay couple? How on earth is it o.k. to spend 3 million on a house when you won 4 million? After taxes he had to have brought home closer to 2 million, right? I'm sorry, I don't see the point of spending it all, much less all at once. You can get a perfectly nice house for three people for under a million if you REALLY want to go fancy. If not, you can do even better. Kinda worried about them. The fabulous one had me at first, but when the segment was over I felt big resentment toward him."

Then this reply:

"I know Jamie and Bert personally and Jamie told me that the showrunners wanted them to be filmed looking at high-end real estate that they knew was not within their budget. Believe me, these guys are being extremely smart with their money and have hired a financial planner to make sure they don't go overboard. They both have really good jobs and a strong work ethic. They're not letting the new-found wealth go to their heads."

If that's true, then that's the problem I have with most so-called reality shows, this one included;  we don't know what's really "real" and what's scripted by the show's producers.   I gave up on Deadliest Catch after the last seaon's fake crapola.

United States
                        Member #118609
                        November 4, 2011
                        1053 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2014, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Thanks f/ the names;  I Googled them and found this post in the "Television Without Pity" site:

"Anyone see what I think was the latest ep with the gay couple? How on earth is it o.k. to spend 3 million on a house when you won 4 million? After taxes he had to have brought home closer to 2 million, right? I'm sorry, I don't see the point of spending it all, much less all at once. You can get a perfectly nice house for three people for under a million if you REALLY want to go fancy. If not, you can do even better. Kinda worried about them. The fabulous one had me at first, but when the segment was over I felt big resentment toward him."

Then this reply:

"I know Jamie and Bert personally and Jamie told me that the showrunners wanted them to be filmed looking at high-end real estate that they knew was not within their budget. Believe me, these guys are being extremely smart with their money and have hired a financial planner to make sure they don't go overboard. They both have really good jobs and a strong work ethic. They're not letting the new-found wealth go to their heads."

If that's true, then that's the problem I have with most so-called reality shows, this one included;  we don't know what's really "real" and what's scripted by the show's producers.   I gave up on Deadliest Catch after the last seaon's fake crapola.

Scripted by the producers, are they politicians too?

I am glad to hear they have hired financial advisors as they werent portrayed in the best light.  Once again the negative side wins out.  I would much prefer to see the good things they have done than to see a train wreck which is how I thought these two would end up.

United States
                          Member #118609
                          November 4, 2011
                          1053 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2014, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Saturday, February 8 is running the shows again starting at 1:00 through 6:00 (based on my time PST).

For those who may not have seen or just want to dream and watch reruns, Saturday, March 01 @ 9:00 thru 12:00 PST, TLC is running four shows of The Lottery Changed My Life.

boston,ma
                            United States
                            Member #150102
                            December 15, 2013
                            112 Posts
                            Posted: February 28, 2014, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I remember that episode from the marathon. I remember also thinking that they were going to be broke within a year from that foolish spending, and yes the small one played the stereotypical limp wristed gay man well. But someone said that the producers were egging them on, so maybe they will be smart with their money.