Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have any of you forgotten to check your tickets in the past?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 3 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 6, 2014, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I started thinking this morning about the years that I would buy draw tickets and either forget to check them or just assumed I didn't win the jackpot (since my local news or newspaper would have announed a winner in my state for a jackpot win). In the past I would only buy a ticket for MM etc. if the jackpot was over 100 million and would only buy 1 ticket at a time. Since I wasn't really much of a lottery player for those years and the 2nd prize and other prizes were not that great I was really most concerned with the jackpot win.  I could kick myself for not at least checking those tickets years ago just in case I had won something. For the past 3 years I've always checked my numbers in case I win anything. I get happy even if I just get the powerball number, lol. Just wondering if anyone else was like this?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1534 Posts
    Posted: February 6, 2014, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I can say today, that I do not rush to check my tickets anymore.  I just check to see if someone has won the jackpot, and than I would check my tickets a day or 2 later to see if I won anything.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5615 Posts
      Posted: February 6, 2014, 10:57 am - IP Logged

I always check my tics right after the draw. I guarantee I will not be the one you read about missing out on a big win because of a lost tic or forgetting to check, etc.

I work with a guy that will tell me he bought a tic last week and hasn't checked it. I ask him why bother buying it in the first place?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
        TX
        United States
        Member #121193
        January 4, 2012
        1637 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2014, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I always check my tics right after the draw. I guarantee I will not be the one you read about missing out on a big win because of a lost tic or forgetting to check, etc.

I work with a guy that will tell me he bought a tic last week and hasn't checked it. I ask him why bother buying it in the first place?

RCB, have to agree with you there. I usually check them right after the drawing and, then in the trash they go if its a non winner.

Course, if I did win ??? I probably would be up all freakin night doing the happy dance(like Wesley Snipes<Willie Mays Hayes> did outside the ballpark in the 1989 movie Major League)!!!...Banana

Heck  might even wake the Mrs up just to wind her up too !! (HA, that will teach her to tell me to not check the tickets til morning)ROFL

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2014, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I think some people hold off checking their tickets so they can fantasize longer about winning. This is echoed in the scratch-off threads here on the board.

Others either forget or are too busy to check. Unrelated to the lottery, but one time I was so busy I didn't check my emails for a week. When I finally checked, I had many emails from business associates who were worried I might have gone missing. LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Pinellas County, Florida
            United States
            Member #151493
            January 18, 2014
            35 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2014, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

That's me. I don't check for a few days because I don't want to be depressed when I see that I didn't hit.

You gotta be in it to win it.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
              Member #118609
              November 4, 2011
              939 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2014, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I can say today, that I do not rush to check my tickets anymore.  I just check to see if someone has won the jackpot, and than I would check my tickets a day or 2 later to see if I won anything.

I do the same thing.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: February 6, 2014, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Never. Always check my tickets since I started playing lottery. Why buy it an not check? I just don't get all those stories of people almost missing out on a Jackpot because they forgot the ticket in the glove compartment or something.

Also, I keep track of every single lottery ticket I buy, so I know the exact amount spent for every type of game along with the amounts won, if any.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40609 Posts
                  Posted: February 7, 2014, 7:48 am - IP Logged

Right away, or if it's late the very next morning.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                    Columbus, Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #128906
                    June 5, 2012
                    592 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2014, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I generally stay up and check the numbers the night of the drawing

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #92330
                      June 5, 2010
                      887 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2014, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

This. I buy multi-draw, which means I check one ticket once a month.

Whenever I bought for each draw I would check either that night or the day after.

New York,
                        Panama
                        Member #73078
                        April 4, 2009
                        3490 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2014, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!Spoken like a true player!!!  You will not read about me forgetting!! 

You my see me cashing it, most definitely!! ha,ha,

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina