Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Much Money Do You Spend Playing the Lottery in a Week?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 3 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
allwins's avatar - winifrid

United States
Member #150736
December 29, 2013
8 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2014, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

How much money have you spent in a week/month/year playing the lottery?Type

Are your winnings (>) more than your investments?Let It All Out

Does the financial loss outweigh the winnings?I Agree!

What are your favorite games to play?Drum

How often do you play?Bed

Do you buy more tickets when the lotto grows to 100+Million status?Hyper

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2014, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

I just buy a ticket for every drawing I usually only play MM and PB anyways and sometimes my state cash 5 when it gets over 500k

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1649 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2014, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I must say, these are some very good questions you ask. Every single of one them will define or decline on just how well a given system really works.

1) If I answer this question, it'll cause great confusion among the masses...so I won't.
      2) Yes.

3) No. (That's a trick question...it's just worded differently than question #2).

4) Pick 4 because that's where the real money is.

5) Whenever the numbers cater to what my system needs to produce the win. It's the smart and efficient way to play.

6) Hell naaw! That type of strategy is for greedy folks who seem to think that the minimum jackpot amount can't fix their financial problems! With a game that large, buyin' more tickets is a waste of time and money because only a couple of tickets will match anyhow. I'd focus more on matching (5) numbers with the multiplier!

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
        Member #150370
        December 20, 2013
        451 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2014, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

I must say, these are some very good questions you ask. Every single of one them will define or decline on just how well a given system really works.

1) If I answer this question, it'll cause great confusion among the masses...so I won't.
        2) Yes.

3) No. (That's a trick question...it's just worded differently than question #2).

4) Pick 4 because that's where the real money is.

5) Whenever the numbers cater to what my system needs to produce the win. It's the smart and efficient way to play.

6) Hell naaw! That type of strategy is for greedy folks who seem to think that the minimum jackpot amount can't fix their financial problems! With a game that large, buyin' more tickets is a waste of time and money because only a couple of tickets will match anyhow. I'd focus more on matching (5) numbers with the multiplier!

L.L.

I never knew u play cash 4. I  thought u played cash 3....

United States
          Member #150736
          December 29, 2013
          8 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2014, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

Shelby, I just started playing the Lotto TX two months ago and seem to spend between $4-$5 each time I play.

Similiar to your plays I wait until the PB and MB grows enormously before I play.

United States
            Member #150736
            December 29, 2013
            8 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2014, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Lucky Loser & Lottery Post Members,

Great feedback, thank you. Before your response I never considered to play Pick 4 ... just not as attractive as the bigger payouts.

So, you are an advocate of Quick Picks?

ALLWINS

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3051 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2014, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

I play mega millions twice a week for $2 so $4 a week and powerball I play $6 twice a week so $12.  So I spend less than $20 a week on mega millions and powerball combined about $16.  It keeps the dream alive that maybe I might win some day.-weshar75

US Flag

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2014, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

I spend about 5 bucks a month now on Florida Fantasy Five tickets.

No, my winnings aren't more than my losses.

Yes, the financial losses greatly outweigh the winnings with this very high matrix of 36 numbers, especially If one believes they will win the JP eventually.

My favorite game to play is Pick-3.

I play the pick-3 on hunches spending about a buck a day. Until I find a consistent system, I refuse to spend anymore.

No, I don't buy more tickets when the JP rises. My astronomical odds of winning a JP does not improve when the stakes are higher.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                  Happyland
                  United States
                  Member #146344
                  September 1, 2013
                  1129 Posts
                  Posted: February 7, 2014, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

Like my signature implies, I see no reason to play terrible odds games like PB or MM unless their jackpot is significant (and even then, not really worth it).

Last year I spent about $800 on the lottery and ended up with a loss of $285. Only $18 of my winnings came from drawing games, yet I bought nearly 3 times as many draw tickets as I did scratch-off tickets. That should tell you a lot.

This year I haven't bought any tickets yet. Been a little too busy and waiting on some games to get juicy. When I do play, it's usually a couple times a month. I don't really buy more when the jackpots are at certain thresholds, but if they keep rolling into record territory I may buy a couple more than usual.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                  If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                  P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2014, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Like my signature implies, I see no reason to play terrible odds games like PB or MM unless their jackpot is significant (and even then, not really worth it).

Last year I spent about $800 on the lottery and ended up with a loss of $285. Only $18 of my winnings came from drawing games, yet I bought nearly 3 times as many draw tickets as I did scratch-off tickets. That should tell you a lot.

This year I haven't bought any tickets yet. Been a little too busy and waiting on some games to get juicy. When I do play, it's usually a couple times a month. I don't really buy more when the jackpots are at certain thresholds, but if they keep rolling into record territory I may buy a couple more than usual.

Like my signature implies,

So winning 30 million is insufficient for you?

I'd be hysterical right now if I won a Million bucks take home, heck, a hundred grand even. ha 

It's nice to dream though. I know there's a 99.9% chance I won't win, so I don't dwell on it night and day. Crazy

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2014, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

Your signature above.

The problem with that logic is that the payoff is TOTALLY dependant on the odds. And when the odds are beyond rediculous, practically untouchable, the prospect of a real payoff is almost non-existent.

Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: February 8, 2014, 12:01 am - IP Logged

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

Your signature above.

The problem with that logic is that the payoff is TOTALLY dependant on the odds. And when the odds are beyond rediculous, practically untouchable, the prospect of a real payoff is almost non-existent.

Exactly. Which means you shouldn't play. So, if I AM going to play, at the very least it should be when the payoff is signficant. It's like the lesser of two evils.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

United States
                          Member #128790
                          June 2, 2012
                          5431 Posts
                          Posted: February 8, 2014, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Exactly. Which means you shouldn't play. So, if I AM going to play, at the very least it should be when the payoff is signficant. It's like the lesser of two evils.

it should be when the payoff is signficant.

What part of what I wrote earlier didn't you understand?

United States
                            Member #128790
                            June 2, 2012
                            5431 Posts
                            Posted: February 8, 2014, 12:11 am - IP Logged

It's like the lesser of two evils.

You seemingly claim in your recent replies to me that even though you know your chances of winning doesn't increase when waiting for a bigger payoff, in your very next sentence you write how that behavior is so beneficial. Which one is it?

Do you even get it?

Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146344
                              September 1, 2013
                              1129 Posts
                              Posted: February 8, 2014, 12:13 am - IP Logged

it should be when the payoff is signficant.

What part of what I wrote earlier didn't you understand?

Sounds like you are the one misunderstanding.

For a player, it doesn't matter that the prospect of realizing the payoff is non-existent. If they are going to play in a negative situation, the most logical option other than not playing is playing in the least negative situation. Hence playing during higher payoff situations.

I could also go into the maths of expectation values and variances and such, but I won't bore you with that.

As far as being happy winning $30 million, sure I would. Just not on PB or MM, where that size prize does not justify the odds. My state lottery, absolutely.