Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You won it but do you think your kid should have to earn it??

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 3 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2014, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

So if you won a jackpot would you make out a will (after you got settled in your money of course) that said your kid(s) would get all or even some money. Do you think they wouldnt have a work ethic if they knew one day they were going to cash in big someday? How would you handle that particular situation?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2014, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

People appreciate money and things more if they work for them.

You don't do anybody a favor by giving them free stuff. You just make them lazier and more demanding.

Kids should be given any inheritance after they have made it on their own in life.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1203 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2014, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Even though winning the lottery means I didn't earn that amount of money, I've certainly worked really hard before that point. I would definitely leave them money but they would have to earn it...there would be stipulations in the trust fund. Graduate from HS, x amount. Graduate with honors, x+y amount. Living expenses for and college tuition covered. Etc etc etc. For each milestone completed, comes a reward. Enough to keep them from struggling but not enough so that they end up spoiled. A condo or townhouse paid for if they get a job, for the life of the job. Doesn't matter what the pay is because their basic expenses would be covered. It's learning and growing as a productive member of society that matters. And they won't appreciate anything if they never have to work. If they quit their job, all funds stop and they have to find another place to live. 

As long as they're responsible and abide by the stipulations, they will never have to worry about losing their home, or any of the big financial stressors we have. They'll have security but they will also have responsibility. Win win.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6305 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2014, 9:26 am - IP Logged

They would have to earn it, my 16yr just started working on weekends at the grocery store I am a true believer as parents we have to instill work ethics. My father told me when I was 17 yrs old not to depend on anybody even him (thanks dad) the reason he said not him was because him & mom would not always be there one day they would pass away(and they did RIPBlue Angel).

Hubby and I told our boys not to depend on anyone for anything even us. My oldest understood but my 15yr he thought we were telling him we would not take care of him(he get's that from his father sideBig Grin) I told him no sweetie we just want you to be able to provide for yourself because mommy & daddy will not always be here. He finally understood after a few hours lol like I said he get's it from his father.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
          Member #145267
          August 1, 2013
          1723 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2014, 9:37 am - IP Logged

They should still go to school and may-be take up finance so they will know what to do with the money as far as making it last forever.  Also, tell your kids not to watch the show, Rich kids of Beverly hills, a very dumb show.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2014, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Like the rest of you, I'd be concerned they'd turn into ne'er-do-wells.  They'd get enough to pay for college without having to work.  They could go as long as they wanted as long as they went full time, passed all their classes, and earned degrees at appropriate intervals.  No dinking around. 

The big chunk would be held in trust till they were at least 30, or until 5 years after their last payment for college -- so if they went for advanced degrees till they were say 28, they wouldn't get the big chunk till they were 33 -- , so that they'd be forced to do something productive to make their own way in life for a few years between college and the inheritance.

I doubt I'd leave them the full amount of my estate if I had won a huge jackpot.  I think 3 or 4 million each is plenty to set them up for a really comfortable life, and the rest would be left to a charity.

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2014, 11:33 am - IP Logged

They should still go to school and may-be take up finance so they will know what to do with the money as far as making it last forever.  Also, tell your kids not to watch the show, Rich kids of Beverly hills, a very dumb show.

LOL I watched an episode of that show and is where I got the idea for the question. I can't believe that one girl's father is worth 3 billion dollars. He'll be taking care of her for the rest of her life

New York,
                Panama
                Member #73078
                April 4, 2009
                3490 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2014, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

I have a different Plan...(Of Course no one in their right mind is going to leave their lottery money to a Kid!!)  You see I already Raised my son not to be a free loader, a moocher, And stood back to see if it took; and by Golly it did!

I nugged him out of the house when he was 18, so he worked and put himself through College, he and His Best friend Bert, a childhood friend, moved in  a place...Then He  decided he, was going to get Married. 

and left his Buddy, and  well that marriage did not turned out too good..

However all through this,  He kept his Job and he is very Responsible...Now he has some Ideas for Business.....

So I would give him a portion of my Winnings while alive!!  Just to see how he Handles himself!!  and so he would not have to Borrow the Money from a Bank!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                  Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2014, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

It depends how much you won. You probably should not give them a fortune, they just might start with cigarettes, alcohol and hard drugs. Giving nothing is rather cruel.

Talking of work ethic, that reminds me the independant people that didn't pay me in the past for done work. (...) How about pay ethic?

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4974 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2014, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Like the rest of you, I'd be concerned they'd turn into ne'er-do-wells.  They'd get enough to pay for college without having to work.  They could go as long as they wanted as long as they went full time, passed all their classes, and earned degrees at appropriate intervals.  No dinking around. 

The big chunk would be held in trust till they were at least 30, or until 5 years after their last payment for college -- so if they went for advanced degrees till they were say 28, they wouldn't get the big chunk till they were 33 -- , so that they'd be forced to do something productive to make their own way in life for a few years between college and the inheritance.

I doubt I'd leave them the full amount of my estate if I had won a huge jackpot.  I think 3 or 4 million each is plenty to set them up for a really comfortable life, and the rest would be left to a charity.

I would do the exact same thing but make it 7 years after the last degree.

J'aime La France.

luckyshoes's avatar - nw lady.jpg
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #79502
                      September 2, 2009
                      6447 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2014, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

They ll get theirs the same way I got mine....I had to be 30 yrs old and a college grad with 2 degrees.

Theres no substitute for hard-work.

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                        Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1403 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2014, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

"People appreciate money and things more if they work for them."

Truer words were never spoke.  My first car cost fifty bucks and my pop helped me fix the transmission, overhaul the carb and do some body work.  I finally could travel to work where I couldn't before b/c we lived so far out in the country.  Worked all that summer, bought a newer car, a hot rod.  Dad really didn't want me to buy it, but I really wanted it.  The down payment cost me what little I had saved, but I was working that summer so I was going to have a paycheck coming.  I worked f/ the county and they paid once a month and I needed some rear tires in order for my car to pass inspection but didn't have the cash.  Dad bought them for me - as a loan-  and I burned the tread off even before I got paid. (left some great lookin' scratch marks, though)  I had to replace those tires and I assure you, I laid off the accelerator after that!  With the payment to my pop, tires, gasoline and car payment, I was broke until the next payday.

I don't have children, so my opinion doesn't count f/ much, but from that hard lesson I learned, I'd say yes, kids need to learn the value of a buck.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5143 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2014, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

So if you won a jackpot would you make out a will (after you got settled in your money of course) that said your kid(s) would get all or even some money. Do you think they wouldnt have a work ethic if they knew one day they were going to cash in big someday? How would you handle that particular situation?

SM:  ??? if U won a "BIG" JP>>>>>>>>>$$$$$$$

SM:  ??? so U won a $$$$ JP>>>>>>>>>bigRsml

SM:   ??  RU going 2 rush out & git ah PHD n 1 yer!

SM:  ??? ?????????????????????????????????????

SM: DON't try 2 Control UR KID'$$$$$$!

Big Grin AngelJack-in-the-BoxBig Grin Angel