Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does anyone know if there were many jackpot winners who really bought just one ticket?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 3 years ago by jjtheprince.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2014, 8:56 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious to know if there were many winners of the PB or MM jackpots who really just bought one ticket? I'm not talking about someone who goes to different stores and buys tickets but someone who won on a ticket with a one line draw. It seems that often when someone wins a jackpot it might be that the person bought 3 or more tickets. With odds being so astronomically high a person could be a few thousand worth of tickets and still win nothing. Sometimes when I buy my one ticket I just wonder about people who have just bought the one ticket and won.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #77815
    August 1, 2009
    3459 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2014, 9:03 am - IP Logged

Ira Curry won half of the $648 million jackpot with 1 ticket of her own numbers.

Guess Who's Back?

United States
      Member #149820
      December 9, 2013
      644 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2014, 9:07 am - IP Logged

Ira Curry won half of the $648 million jackpot with 1 ticket of her own numbers.

Yeah the lady down in GA. right Win? That's who I was thinking of, and why I now will only buy one ticket LOL

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2014, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Hi Win$500Quick,

Thanks that's good to know. I was wondering more about people who by QP's like myself who have won with just buying 1 ticket only.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2014, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Carl Hunter was picking up a gallon of milk for his wife when he decided to also purchase one Powerball “quick pick” at West Metairie Shell on West Metairie Avenue in Metairie.

This is from the powerball website under winners stories.

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2008/050808LA-hunter.shtm

Also Jeffrey "Jeff" Pintuff On the way home, Pintuff stopped at the Stewart's Shop on Route 50 in Wilton and purchased the $1 Quick Pick ticket for the December 25th Powerball drawing for $48.8 million.

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2010/122510NY_Pintuff.shtml

Go to the Powerball website and click on winners stories. Hope this helps.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2014, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Carl Hunter was picking up a gallon of milk for his wife when he decided to also purchase one Powerball “quick pick” at West Metairie Shell on West Metairie Avenue in Metairie.

This is from the powerball website under winners stories.

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2008/050808LA-hunter.shtm

Also Jeffrey "Jeff" Pintuff On the way home, Pintuff stopped at the Stewart's Shop on Route 50 in Wilton and purchased the $1 Quick Pick ticket for the December 25th Powerball drawing for $48.8 million.

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2010/122510NY_Pintuff.shtml

Go to the Powerball website and click on winners stories. Hope this helps.

Hi dallascowboyfan,

Thanks for that info. I read the article. It gives me hope that some people out there can win with the 1 ticket. The few times I've bought more than one ticket for the MM or PB it's been frustrating because I've gotten the right numbers bought spread across 3 or 4 tickets so won nothing.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6290 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2014, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

That is correct all it takes is one(1) ticket to win itBig Grin  I'm sure there are some Mega winners as well I didn't click on their stories I just remember these two when they won. Don't forget your ticket for tonight $400 Million Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                United States
                Member #50210
                March 1, 2007
                843 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2014, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! I agree Dallas! all it takes is one ticket and a WHOLE lot of luck. Smile

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10345 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2014, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

There was a 19 year old girl in Georgia who won a jackpot - I think it was MM before the Megaplier - the first time she ever played. Turned $1 into millions. Sorry if she is the Georgia winner already mentioned.

There was a female prison guard in NY who thought she had bought a ticket for PB or MM and won the jackpot for the game she thought she didn't have a ticket for.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2014, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious to know if there were many winners of the PB or MM jackpots who really just bought one ticket? I'm not talking about someone who goes to different stores and buys tickets but someone who won on a ticket with a one line draw. It seems that often when someone wins a jackpot it might be that the person bought 3 or more tickets. With odds being so astronomically high a person could be a few thousand worth of tickets and still win nothing. Sometimes when I buy my one ticket I just wonder about people who have just bought the one ticket and won.

Sometimes when I buy my one ticket I just wonder about people who have just bought the one ticket and won.

I do too, but then I start thinking about the millions who also bought one ticket and didn't win. Then reality kicks in.  Green laugh

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19752 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2014, 4:02 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Renia      Martin-Harris         Game Name:       MEGA MILLIONS         Purchased City:       Indianapolis 

Date Won:       3/22/2013         Amount Won:   $250,000   

Indy mom wins $250,000 on free Mega Millions ticket   

Call it beginner's luck.  Renia Martin-Thomas of Indianapolis won $250,000 on her first-ever Mega Millions ticket - and it was a free ticket, taboot!  Renia had never played Mega Millions until she got a free ticket in a recent statewide promotion. 

Let it Snow Snowman

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40339 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2014, 9:24 am - IP Logged

That is correct all it takes is one(1) ticket to win itBig Grin  I'm sure there are some Mega winners as well I didn't click on their stories I just remember these two when they won. Don't forget your ticket for tonight $400 Million Thumbs Up

Yep, just one ticket.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Afghanistan
                          Member #101087
                          November 25, 2010
                          52 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2014, 9:44 am - IP Logged

I  WILL  ONLY  BUY 1  TICKET.  THATS  IT,  ITS  HARD  ENOUGH  TO  WIN  THE  PICK   3.   BUT I  DO  TRY  AND  MASTER  THE  PICK  3. I  DO  OK, I  CONCENTRATE  ONLY  ON  PICK 3,  ALSO   PAIRS  I  FOLLOW. AND  THE  DOUBLES,  AND  DIGIT  POSITION

United States
                            Member #106134
                            February 13, 2011
                            806 Posts
                            Posted: February 20, 2014, 11:12 am - IP Logged

It's not possible to win if you buy more than one ticket I hear.