Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Some day with advanced math...

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19813 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2014, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Lottery players will look back and wish lotteries were played the same as they are today and wonder where the players heads were that they didn't win more often than we do. 

I look back now twenty years ago when Ohio's Super Lotto Plus(6/49+1) was a major lottery in this area and generated jackpots of $20M-$50M every other month and was won as often.  I don't know what happened but now its Classic Lotto(6/49) takes a year or two to generate such a jackpot and it's take even longer for someone to win it.

Are lottery jackpots getting harder to win or lottery players just getting dumber?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2014, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

I have seen 3 million euro jackpots being paid out in the local 6+R/42, 50 cents/combination.
    I have seen 700 000 euro jackpots being paid out in the new local 6+R/45, 1 euro/combination.

Can you explain this?

United States
      Member #136507
      December 12, 2012
      55 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2014, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I hope I'm not dumb because I'm not the best at advance math. It seems the classic jackpot only rises by hudres of thousands lately. Was the classic jp always 13 million to one? I think those are pretty good odds, I had a ticket with almost five of the numbers not long ago. I wouldn't say people are dumb, I just think people aren't to good a predicting doubles and they happen fairy often in ever game I surmise, there was a triple just two days ago.

I've been playing the classic for awhile now and doubles come out fairly often, if its one thing that stops me its that. What has changed in this game in the last twenty years? Is there some math formula that would be useful in picking numbers?

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2014, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Without looking at your Ohio sales figures, it's probably just a matter of increased choices that people have these days for their lottery dollar.  You have tons of scratchers from $1 to $30, and even $50 in Texas.  Then you have all the daily draw games and two major national lotteries, Powerball and Mega Millions. Too many games competing for your money. 

In Ohio, you guys probably don't get the combination coverage you once did when choices where limited and more people in Ohio played their own Classic Lotto/SuperLotto.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2014, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Lottery players will look back and wish lotteries were played the same as they are today and wonder where the players heads were that they didn't win more often than we do. 

I look back now twenty years ago when Ohio's Super Lotto Plus(6/49+1) was a major lottery in this area and generated jackpots of $20M-$50M every other month and was won as often.  I don't know what happened but now its Classic Lotto(6/49) takes a year or two to generate such a jackpot and it's take even longer for someone to win it.

Are lottery jackpots getting harder to win or lottery players just getting dumber?

Lottery players will look back and wish lotteries were played the same as they are today and wonder where the players heads were that they didn't win more often than we do

I suspect that most states will either tighten the Cash 5 games to reduce number of winners or get rid of them altogether. They are the only games that mint winners with substantial winnings every other day. This year I am playing Mass Cash daily but have not won anything so far. I hope I win before the "major changes"

That money's gone fo ever

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5586 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2014, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Without looking at your Ohio sales figures, it's probably just a matter of increased choices that people have these days for their lottery dollar.  You have tons of scratchers from $1 to $30, and even $50 in Texas.  Then you have all the daily draw games and two major national lotteries, Powerball and Mega Millions. Too many games competing for your money. 

In Ohio, you guys probably don't get the combination coverage you once did when choices where limited and more people in Ohio played their own Classic Lotto/SuperLotto.

I think that's it in a nutshell. There are so many games to play these days. I mostly play all the jackpot games, and Daily 4. And I have to work at keeping my cost at $26 a week.

Too many games competing for limited dollars in the budget.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19716 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2014, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

I think that's it in a nutshell. There are so many games to play these days. I mostly play all the jackpot games, and Daily 4. And I have to work at keeping my cost at $26 a week.

Too many games competing for limited dollars in the budget.

I Agree! especially when you play in different states as i do Party

Let it Snow Snowman

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7295 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2014, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

"Are lottery jackpots getting harder to win or lottery players just getting dumber?"

Maybe it's a combination of both or just preference. Players justify playing the higher odds games and/or ignore the odds because of the huge jackpots. Sometimes personal preference outweigh playing choices that seem much better to others. Compare betting $42 to win $200,000 at 10,000 to 1 odds to making 42 $1 bets to win $200K playing Cash Ball at 1,268,520 to 1 odds.