Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 12:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do you play the lottery?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 3 years ago by grwurston.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

The answer obviously is  " to win"- but the guy asking this of me over the weekend  said my response was too simplistic.
I thought about it for a moment and came to the conclusion that he was right.
Obviously people play it for different reasons so l guess mine has to be to  " get out of the rat race & live life on my own terms!" To be independent so to speak.
Some may answer: To buy a farm, to get the kids through College & so forth.
What be your reason folks?

* Have a Great Week People.
*** Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

The answer obviously is  " to win"- but the guy asking this of me over the weekend  said my response was too simplistic.
    Obviously people play it for different reasons so l guess mine has to be to  " get out of the rat race & live life on my own terms!" To be independent so to speak.

*** Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Yeah obvious to win, and also just financial freedom period

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #148675
      November 8, 2013
      54 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I play the Euro-millions lottery to give my  Dad , Sister, Brother a better life. We always lived and still live tight. So a lottery win would definitely change that and give me the opportunity to set up a foundation for disabeld people back home in Switzerland. Wish me luck there's special draw coming up on 7th of March a guaranted £80m Jackpot which is roughly $135m after tax.Whoop whoop!!Hyper

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Hi noise-gate,

Being able to be financially secure is the main reason I play. Started out playing initially hoping to be able to help my daughter with college. Just not having to worry about ever having to work in low paying jobs again is another big reason I play. Since retiring is not in my future the only way for that to happen would be if I won enough to not have to worry about working anymore. There are so many things I'd love to be able to do if I won. Helping my family out would be number one and also being charitable to people in need would be another. It's nice to daydream about the lottery when life gets me down. Realize that banking on a lottery win is just a pipedream but it is nice to have that daydream when life gets depressing.  Will continue to keep myself in the game on my usual budget process and if by some miracle a win should occur then wonderful but I'm realistic enough to know that the possibility of that happening is slim to none, lol.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4146 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

I play the Euro-millions lottery to give my  Dad , Sister, Brother a better life. We always lived and still live tight. So a lottery win would definitely change that and give me the opportunity to set up a foundation for disabeld people back home in Switzerland. Wish me luck there's special draw coming up on 7th of March a guaranted £80m Jackpot which is roughly $135m after tax.Whoop whoop!!Hyper

Jordi- l am pulling the lever for you at this very moment,Now win.Don't forget about me as you apply saliva  to your thumb when counting that hard cash..ok?

Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4146 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Hi noise-gate,

Being able to be financially secure is the main reason I play. Started out playing initially hoping to be able to help my daughter with college. Just not having to worry about ever having to work in low paying jobs again is another big reason I play. Since retiring is not in my future the only way for that to happen would be if I won enough to not have to worry about working anymore. There are so many things I'd love to be able to do if I won. Helping my family out would be number one and also being charitable to people in need would be another. It's nice to daydream about the lottery when life gets me down. Realize that banking on a lottery win is just a pipedream but it is nice to have that daydream when life gets depressing.  Will continue to keep myself in the game on my usual budget process and if by some miracle a win should occur then wonderful but I'm realistic enough to know that the possibility of that happening is slim to none, lol.

I hear you loud & clear Shyguitar.

henfield's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg
              Nassau
              Bahamas
              Member #44778
              August 8, 2006
              1323 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

To try help pay of my morage an bills

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4146 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2014, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Help?- l think you meant to disappear completely!

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1732 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2014, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

It would be nice to have financial freedom and to wake up ever morning to the California sun.  mmmmmmmmm, what am I going to do today!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2014, 12:36 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

For the guy who said your answer was too simplisitc I'd say something like this:

I'd like to win a jackpot so I could organize and finance an expedition into the Louisiana swamps to catch a swamp monster.

(Now the fun part for the LP folks):

After I caught him (?) I would ask him if he plays his own numbers or quick picks, if he'd remain anonymous or hold a press conference, ans if he'd take cash or the annuity.

//

But seriously as has been said, financial freedom. Being able to do what you want to do when you want to do it and affording whatever you want. No debts. "Heat, eat, and taxes".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: February 25, 2014, 12:56 am - IP Logged

I'd buy a big mansion.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2014, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Why do you play the lottery?

Because it's there.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19964 Posts
                          Posted: February 25, 2014, 5:02 am - IP Logged

Because it is FUN to WIN $$$PartyBananaHurray!

Let it Snow Snowman

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                            Hard Luck, Ak
                            United States
                            Member #23472
                            October 13, 2005
                            279 Posts
                            Posted: February 25, 2014, 6:32 am - IP Logged

Financial Security! But overall I would like to quote the great Herm Edwards as I have done in the past!

"HELLO........HELLOOOOO..... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!!"

"We make a living by what you get, You make a LIFE by what you give!"

Sir Winston ChurchillSun Smiley

London
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #148675
                              November 8, 2013
                              54 Posts
                              Posted: February 25, 2014, 8:22 am - IP Logged

I won't  @ noise-gate :-) You can join me sipping Mojitos in my holiday house in Cannes,  South of France   Hurray!