Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery at Giant Eagle in Toledo

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Toledo, Ohio
United States
Member #70700
February 9, 2009
548 Posts
Posted: February 27, 2014, 7:58 am - IP Logged

I wanted to play the pick 3 a little after 7:30 p.m. for the next day.  The lady at the service desk said it was closed.  I told her I could use the machine and just use a card.  She said they put the cards away and I couldn't.   Is this correct that some places close their lottery down after 7:25?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 27, 2014, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

I wanted to play the pick 3 a little after 7:30 p.m. for the next day.  The lady at the service desk said it was closed.  I told her I could use the machine and just use a card.  She said they put the cards away and I couldn't.   Is this correct that some places close their lottery down after 7:25?

Depends on what time the drawing is held. The machine will reject your card if it's too late.

Some jerky stores set their own shutdown times well ahead of the official shutdown times though.

Which causes some disgruntled people to take whole fish and expensive steaks out of the meat section and hide them on the shelf behind the Spam.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1129 Posts
      Posted: February 27, 2014, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

In my state you can still use the machine if the counter is closed, but not until like 15 minutes after the draw. So if they draw at 9:00 then you can't buy tickets for any games until 9:15 at the earliest. The same period applies before the draw, too.

The lottery may have a shutoff time outside of drawings; for example, here you can't buy tickets from counter or machine between 12:30 AM and 5:30 AM.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
        OHIO
        United States
        Member #4164
        March 27, 2004
        14586 Posts
        Posted: February 27, 2014, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

Another one of the stores dumb rules, that's why I carry an envelope of those cards around with me, the tellers and cashiers are so lazy here, it is just unreal the things that they want you to believe...after I started carrying around my own cards, I've found them all to be such liars............but putting the good steaks behind the spam sounds fun to me...........since they don't want to work let's find them some work......Green laugh

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
          OHIO
          United States
          Member #4164
          March 27, 2004
          14586 Posts
          Posted: February 27, 2014, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Depends on what time the drawing is held. The machine will reject your card if it's too late.

Some jerky stores set their own shutdown times well ahead of the official shutdown times though.

Which causes some disgruntled people to take whole fish and expensive steaks out of the meat section and hide them on the shelf behind the Spam.

Ridge, I luv it.............Green laugh

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: February 27, 2014, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Ridge, I luv it.............Green laugh

Well thank you, Jani.

Of course you know I'd never do that!  Wink

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
              upstate NY
              United States
              Member #108791
              March 31, 2011
              549 Posts
              Posted: February 27, 2014, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

It does sound fishy, but there could be a reasonable explanation.  The Ohio Lottery website only says that Pick 3 wagering closes at 7:25, it doesn't say when it opens back up again.  It's possible that the system was down; after all, why would the store close themselves off to all lottery sales simply because the Pick 3/4/5 had just been drawn?  It's possible that the store does not sell lottery tickets for a period of time after each drawing as a way to protect itself against false claims and the like.  It's possible that the service desk was about to close; it's been my experience that customer service desks at supermarkets tend not to be regularly staffed at night.  If so, that would also explain why the self-service kiosk was shut off; if something were to go wrong with the machine, there might not be anyone around to look into the matter.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19824 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2014, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

Was this the first time you ever brought lottery ticket?  If so then get to know several places that sell them and only shop at the ones that have procedures that fit your buying habits especially if you intent to keep buying near the cut-off times.  Some places sell tickets for the next drawing after cut-off time, but it's your responsible to know that and not claim you were cheated because of the date on your tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5118 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2014, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Suzie:

BA GIANT EAGLE 4R "Ronnie">>>>>>>>>>not D other>>>>>>>>>"Ronnie"!!!!

Diagnostic<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<NOT GOOD 4>"Ronnie"!!!!

Thinking of...

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7302 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2014, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Was this the first time you ever brought lottery ticket?  If so then get to know several places that sell them and only shop at the ones that have procedures that fit your buying habits especially if you intent to keep buying near the cut-off times.  Some places sell tickets for the next drawing after cut-off time, but it's your responsible to know that and not claim you were cheated because of the date on your tickets.

It looks more like ordering breakfast at McDonalds seconds before they changed to their lunch menu. Just a guess, but maybe the service desk closes at 8 and they shut off lottery sales at 7:25?