Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Pools

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Lucky Loser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you play in a lottery pool?

Yes [ 9 ]  [40.91%]
No [ 13 ]  [59.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  

United States
Member #152943
March 1, 2014
2 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2014, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Do you play in a lottery pool?  If so, how many people are in your pool? How do you handle signups/payments/sending copies of tickets? Do you have a legal agreement in place?  Do you have a minimum amount for a jackpot before your pool will play? If so, how much?

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    699 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2014, 12:29 am - IP Logged

Do you play in a lottery pool?  If so, how many people are in your pool? How do you handle signups/payments/sending copies of tickets? Do you have a legal agreement in place?  Do you have a minimum amount for a jackpot before your pool will play? If so, how much?

I run a lottery pool in my office and have done so for around 12 years or so. Our pool currently has 12 members. Each member pays $4 on payday, which is every 2 weeks. I use that money to buy a mix of Powerball, MegaMillions, and Louisiana Lotto tickets. I buy tickets for all of the drawings between paydays, a total of 4 on 3 different games. We don't have a written agreement in place and I hope all the members are trustworthy. We play every drawing regardless of what the jackpot is. Lower tier prizes are rolled back in for additional tickets. The best we've done is around $50 dollars, never anything big. As for sending out the tickets, I scan them into a PDF file and Email them to all the members so there's no dispute about which tickets belong to the pool and which are our own tickets.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2014, 4:25 am - IP Logged

I run a lottery pool in my office and have done so for around 12 years or so. Our pool currently has 12 members. Each member pays $4 on payday, which is every 2 weeks. I use that money to buy a mix of Powerball, MegaMillions, and Louisiana Lotto tickets. I buy tickets for all of the drawings between paydays, a total of 4 on 3 different games. We don't have a written agreement in place and I hope all the members are trustworthy. We play every drawing regardless of what the jackpot is. Lower tier prizes are rolled back in for additional tickets. The best we've done is around $50 dollars, never anything big. As for sending out the tickets, I scan them into a PDF file and Email them to all the members so there's no dispute about which tickets belong to the pool and which are our own tickets.

no office pool type thing. i run a pool for my  family members. so 5 in that. im in a pool with 2 friends so 3 in that, and me and a buddy   play togther, he sends money and  buy tickets. they all pplay regular sets of numbers. i had had more people in the pals one,  but they where mostly dicks, who kept saying i cant afford it this week, and if you win ill just sue. so now that pal pool is down t 3 of us

we have player registration cards, and ea pool is played on a different cardi hear theyre planning on charging us $5  a year soon  instead of for free,  thats going to suck  having 3 cards, thats $15 id rather send on tickets.

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

LAKE HAVASU AZ
        United States
        Member #44729
        August 8, 2006
        446 Posts
        Posted: March 2, 2014, 5:07 am - IP Logged

i run the work one, but no one wants to play till it's 250 + Partyone day...one day

===

some day....some day

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
          TX
          United States
          Member #121193
          January 4, 2012
          1637 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2014, 9:05 am - IP Logged

i run the work one, but no one wants to play till it's 250 + Partyone day...one day

===

I used to do that with former coworkers...To be in the pool(my group was 7) for the drawing you had to bring a ticket and we would make copies of them to pass out. I would have each person put their initials next to their ticket on the master copy sheet. If you didn't bring a ticket because you were sick/on vacation/forgot, then another person could buy one and bring it in for you. If you didn't bring in a ticket at all, you were not part of the winning split for the next draw........Now its just between 2 close associates...keeps it simple

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1510 Posts
            Posted: March 2, 2014, 9:27 am - IP Logged

You need a pool that is willing to play every drawing.  One ticket just won the powerball in california, yes california mmmmm
            But it is real cash to win at any amount.

United States
              Member #152943
              March 1, 2014
              2 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2014, 11:16 am - IP Logged

At work, we have a lottery pool of about 20 to 30 people depending on the jackpot size.  Our lottery pool manager has a signup sheet.  We pay her the buck or two which goes into an envelope and sign our name on a sheet.  She then makes copies of the tickets and hands them out.  Whenever we win a few bucks, the winnings are rolled over into the next drawing.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2014, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

no office pool type thing. i run a pool for my  family members. so 5 in that. im in a pool with 2 friends so 3 in that, and me and a buddy   play togther, he sends money and  buy tickets. they all pplay regular sets of numbers. i had had more people in the pals one,  but they where mostly dicks, who kept saying i cant afford it this week, and if you win ill just sue. so now that pal pool is down t 3 of us

we have player registration cards, and ea pool is played on a different cardi hear theyre planning on charging us $5  a year soon  instead of for free,  thats going to suck  having 3 cards, thats $15 id rather send on tickets.

"...and if you win ill just sue."

Now that's an example of one of the most inexpensive systems available for today's discerning lottery player.

Undulating lawyers go into full twerk mode at the mere mention of it.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                  East of Columbus, OH
                  United States
                  Member #120843
                  December 28, 2011
                  451 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2014, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I run the pool at work.  I have an envelope in a community filing cabinet that is marked for the next draw, the date, and the amount.  If someone wants to play, they put in $2 and then sign their name on the envelope.  I get the tickets on the day of the drawing and then copy them and send an email to everyone that paid in along with a copy of the tickets.  Any money won that isn't enough to pay everyone in the pool back their $2, goes in for the next drawing.  We do not have a legal agreement in place, but I put a disclaimer on the email outlining the rules for participating in the pool.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1648 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2014, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

We don't have a written agreement in place and I hope all the members are trustworthy.

so there's no dispute about which tickets belong to the pool and which are our own tickets.

If it's okay, I'd like to discuss these two items briefly. First, I hope that the (12) years of trustworthiness will also prevail in the event of a winning ticket without an agreement in place. For the record, with the type of money involved here with winning, a signed and notarized agreement should be standard issue for everyone to possess.

Second, and the one I consider the absolute most interesting, how does this deal with the separate tickets purchased work from a 'moral' perspective? See, all these years, you've all shared the idea of possibly hitting the big jackpot on one or the other games. So much that you're faithful with the funds to purchase the tickets and not even worry with an agreement. Well, wouldn't it stand to reason that should one of you win outside of the pool, on a personal ticket, that you'd still be willing to split that jackpot with the other (11) people in question?

I mean, we are talking about winning and sharing here. Would this not be the morally correct thing to do considering everything else discussed? Twelve friends, twelve years worth of playing...lotta devotion there in my opinion. Please oblige me because I'm intrigued with the whole notion...honestly. I'm a very, very deep thinker and thank my Critical Thinking instructor of many years ago.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Baton Rouge, LA
                      United States
                      Member #4602
                      May 7, 2004
                      699 Posts
                      Posted: March 2, 2014, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

We don't have a written agreement in place and I hope all the members are trustworthy.

so there's no dispute about which tickets belong to the pool and which are our own tickets.

If it's okay, I'd like to discuss these two items briefly. First, I hope that the (12) years of trustworthiness will also prevail in the event of a winning ticket without an agreement in place. For the record, with the type of money involved here with winning, a signed and notarized agreement should be standard issue for everyone to possess.

Second, and the one I consider the absolute most interesting, how does this deal with the separate tickets purchased work from a 'moral' perspective? See, all these years, you've all shared the idea of possibly hitting the big jackpot on one or the other games. So much that you're faithful with the funds to purchase the tickets and not even worry with an agreement. Well, wouldn't it stand to reason that should one of you win outside of the pool, on a personal ticket, that you'd still be willing to split that jackpot with the other (11) people in question?

I mean, we are talking about winning and sharing here. Would this not be the morally correct thing to do considering everything else discussed? Twelve friends, twelve years worth of playing...lotta devotion there in my opinion. Please oblige me because I'm intrigued with the whole notion...honestly. I'm a very, very deep thinker and thank my Critical Thinking instructor of many years ago.

L.L.

You're probably right about the written agreement thing. When it first started, it was just me and my officemate, but she told others and membership increased. We've been doing this for a long time, so I do trust the people in the group.

As for if anyone wins on their own personal tickets, I've never considered the idea of sharing that. After all, there's no dispute over which tickets belong to the pool and which are separate. I have one coworker who said if she did win it big, she would like to give a few people enough money to retire early. The way I look at it, my tickets are my tickets, and I don't have an obligation to share with anyone.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                        Economy class
                        Belgium
                        Member #123700
                        February 27, 2012
                        4035 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2014, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

The only way to get enough money to play is to rob a bank or start a pool. The chance to win is so small that nobody wants to play.

With the introduction of Euro Millions they killed the local lotto. At the beginning for 6 euros I had 12 lotto combinations or 3 Euro Millions combinations. It is evident that you don't play Euro Millions. The greedy ones started playing Euro Millions and dropped lotto. Now the lotto costs double and there are more numbers. People are unbelivable. Good times are over.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2014, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Do you play in a lottery pool?   Yes sometimes.

If so, how many people are in your pool? Usually about 10. We have one member that comes in once in a while

How do you handle signups/payments/sending copies of tickets? We just make copies of the tickets for everybody in it and then hang one copy on the office fridge with the names of everybody in the latest pool and how much they contributed. We have never won anything haha. 

Do you have a legal agreement in place? No. only the tickets presented for the pool are considered pool tickets and any winnings are shared according to the amount contributed

Do you have a minimum amount for a jackpot before your pool will play? No but seeing it is such a hustle to buy the tickets and collect the money and make copies we only do it when the jp is a little high

If so, how much?Goof

That money's gone fo ever

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                            NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3702 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2014, 8:09 am - IP Logged

Yes I play in an office pool.  I run it.

There are approximately 20 people who play, sometimes there are more than 20 people, sometimes there are less than 20.

I run around and collect either 1 dollar from anyone who wants to play if we play Mega.  I collect 2 bucks if we play PowerBall.  I keep a list of names of everyone who plays for each drawing.  Your name does not go on the list if you didnt pony up.  I save all of the lists of names because sometimes a person doesnt play but they did play last time. If we won 3 bucks last time we played and because I roll that 3 bucks into the next time we play, I figure the person who played last time should be in the mix if we won the JP for the current drawing because they won a small fraction of that 3 bucks we won last time we played.  To me that's the  ethical (not to mention morally correct) thing to do.   

I scan all the tickets I bought with pool money, and send everyone that played an email with the PDF file of the tickets in it.

A legal agreement?  What's that?

Because JP's get big fairly frequently these days, we play only when either the MM or PB jackpot is geater than 300 million.  I wont run around collecting money and do all that other work for a 40 million dollar JP. And I dont want to be a pain in the butt to the people I work with by bugging them for money every week. They probably dont have it every week either. There are weeks where "Joe" will pay for his buddy "Jim" to be in the pool because Jim hasnt got the two bucks to play but Joe does. I'm sure management where I work wouldn't like me running a pool every week either.  Because I run the pool, I dont pay for anybody but myself. I cant afford to cover people who dont have it or are on vaction or out sick etc. I may not ever see my money again if I did that, and I cant afford that. Nor am I running a charity either. If a player misses a drawing, and they weren't in the last drawing where we won 3 bucks, then they will not share in any major winnings should we be so lucky. If the pool votes/decides to cut that guy in because he always played in the past and was out sick the day I collected money, then that's fine with me.

I roll any winnings where an individual player cant be paid back the amount they chipped in back into the pool for the next time we play. That happens about a little more than half of the times we play because I do self picks for either the PB number or the Mega number. (If we play PB and I have a total of 40 bucks of pool money to buy tickets, I self pick 20 of the 35 PB numbers.  By doing that we hit just the PB fairly regularly and win 3 bucks)

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2014, 9:11 am - IP Logged

here is  a sample of the bank account i use for 1 of the lotto pools,. all money paid to the pool goes into it,  and winnings go in, all costs come out.

see there is 2x $25 thats ea monthand monthy costs are around $46, this one is me and 1 guy. another account only has my family putting in $10 ea month. including me thats $50 also.  i offer the PDF file of transactions, but no one cares to  look at them,. its not proof i buy the tickets. but the occasional win is I guess.

as a side note. i think the fact only certain people  deposit  money in the bank accounts, would  have some weight  on proving who is actually included in ea pool. and good luck to any scammers wanting to go the legal route trying to get a cut.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297