Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do Flordia players not buy buy Mega Millions tickest like they do Powerballtickets

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 3 years ago by schmuckatelly.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
WV
United States
Member #107175
March 2, 2011
100 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2014, 5:04 am - IP Logged

I was looking at another site where they show the ticket sales for each MM and PB dales for each drawing with state by state results and noticed that for PB drawings Fla usually almost for every PB drawing ranks usually second in tickets sales behind Californial. Sometines they are third with New York selling the second most money wise. But when it comes to Mega Millions a lot of times 6 or 7 states will sell more then Fla. There are some draws i noticed where Calif Texas New York New jersey Illinois and Pennsylvania will outsell Fla. Some times even states like GA or Ohio will sell just as many but when it comes to PB Fla will outsell those states by pretty big margains. Fla just started selling MM tickest about a year ago and the people there never have spent % wise anywhere close to what they do with PB. Anyone have any idea what would be the reason for this?

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    11931 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2014, 5:58 am - IP Logged

Some people hate change or are set in there ways.  Up until last year Florida was always a Powerball State. They joined MM in 2013...

You should also compare Jackpot size when you check the sales numbers

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
      Member #149820
      December 9, 2013
      644 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2014, 8:45 am - IP Logged

I was looking at another site where they show the ticket sales for each MM and PB dales for each drawing with state by state results and noticed that for PB drawings Fla usually almost for every PB drawing ranks usually second in tickets sales behind Californial. Sometines they are third with New York selling the second most money wise. But when it comes to Mega Millions a lot of times 6 or 7 states will sell more then Fla. There are some draws i noticed where Calif Texas New York New jersey Illinois and Pennsylvania will outsell Fla. Some times even states like GA or Ohio will sell just as many but when it comes to PB Fla will outsell those states by pretty big margains. Fla just started selling MM tickest about a year ago and the people there never have spent % wise anywhere close to what they do with PB. Anyone have any idea what would be the reason for this?

When you get a really big jackpot or also a big jackpot winner of MM then the numbers will go up

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
        Jacksonville, Florida
        United States
        Member #140364
        March 17, 2013
        195 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2014, 9:39 am - IP Logged

I only play MM when it gets to about 300 or more.  MM is still new to Florida, and with the odds so high, I've maybe bought only 3 tickets since introduced to Florida.

WV
          United States
          Member #107175
          March 2, 2011
          100 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2014, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Some people hate change or are set in there ways.  Up until last year Florida was always a Powerball State. They joined MM in 2013...

You should also compare Jackpot size when you check the sales numbers

The Dec 10 2013 advertised JP was 363 million which is a pretty good amount and for that drawing Fla was 7th in sales total. it rolled and the next drawing the JP was for 425 million and it was 7th in sales again. I guess when they joined people just didnt embrace it like they do the Powerball.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2014, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Do you think it may have to do with MM's expanded matrix? Picking 5 out of 75 vs picking 5 out of 59?

Also Florida has a lot of retirees, i.e. people on fixed incomes. Maybe they just choose one game over the other and that's that.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
              SW Florida
              United States
              Member #145673
              August 11, 2013
              152 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2014, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I agree with the fear of change thing, especially by older people which there are a lot of here.  I'm no spring chicken myself but living here I feel that way sometimes, looking around at all my elders.  Personally I prefer MM because I get a lot of small prizes off of them, compared to PB and Florida Lotto.

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                Jacksonville, Florida
                United States
                Member #140364
                March 17, 2013
                195 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2014, 7:34 am - IP Logged

Do you think it may have to do with MM's expanded matrix? Picking 5 out of 75 vs picking 5 out of 59?

Also Florida has a lot of retirees, i.e. people on fixed incomes. Maybe they just choose one game over the other and that's that.

I don't know about that. I have seen seniors buy more higher cost scratch off's than I would on $1 tickets, and I work.