Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Data base to check what number sets were played??

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 3 years ago by bigbear29.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1492 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2014, 11:52 am - IP Logged

I wish there was a data base to check how many times your number set was played.  I still feel that the lottery looks for the least played number sets for winning numbers.

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
    Ontario
    Canada
    Member #109243
    April 9, 2011
    31437 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2014, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I wish there was a data base to check how many times your number set was played.  I still feel that the lottery looks for the least played number sets for winning numbers.

What About The us lotteries Site?

There Is Another Way But You'd Have To Upgrade Here To Use The Search Past Results Feature

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1492 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2014, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

The data base I was thinking about is something like this:  enter your set of numbers,  than it would come back with:  your set of numbers was played 20 times in the last drawing.  Than I would change my set of numbers to something else hoping that I find a set of numbers that would be checked as, this set of numbers were played 2 times in the last drawing.

This goes back to when people use to say "your numbers should be unique, (without equal or distinctive) = different than someone elses numbers.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: March 5, 2014, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

If such a system existed, then any advantage gained from choosing less frequently played numbers would quickly be erased (since everyone would choose unique sets). Lotteries guard this information for a reason. The more unique combinations played, the more likely a winner will be drawn.

I believe that the Canadian lottery used to provide this information, however.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
          Member #145267
          August 1, 2013
          1492 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2014, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

So are you saying the lottery is not random?

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
            Ontario
            Canada
            Member #109243
            April 9, 2011
            31437 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2014, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

The data base I was thinking about is something like this:  enter your set of numbers,  than it would come back with:  your set of numbers was played 20 times in the last drawing.  Than I would change my set of numbers to something else hoping that I find a set of numbers that would be checked as, this set of numbers were played 2 times in the last drawing.

This goes back to when people use to say "your numbers should be unique, (without equal or distinctive) = different than someone elses numbers.

So You're Referring To Jackpots Games.

I Was Referring To Pick 3/Pick 4

Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1129 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2014, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

So are you saying the lottery is not random?

The lottery is random—  the numbers that players choose is not.

Extreme example: assuming pari-mutuel jackpot, if everyone chose 1-2-3-4-5 but you chose 6-7-8-9-10, who is likely to come out with the most winnings? You would, because you are not sharing the jackpot with anyone else. Now, it does not change your probability of winning....just the payoff.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

United States
                Member #145267
                August 1, 2013
                1492 Posts
                Posted: March 5, 2014, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes, powerball and mega millions.

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1492 Posts
                  Posted: March 5, 2014, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Reading all of the post, and taking part of one post, I ask the following question.

if everyone chose 1-2-3-4-5 but you chose a mix of family birthdays and the lucky number 7, like Ira Curry and she won. How was that connected to the computer and the balls in the machine to win? She had a unique set of numbers ( only two tickets won). I hope this is not a dump question, but I get confused on how numbers are picked, winning states, the randomness of the numbers/game and so on.

Happyland
                    United States
                    Member #146344
                    September 1, 2013
                    1129 Posts
                    Posted: March 5, 2014, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Reading all of the post, and taking part of one post, I ask the following question.

if everyone chose 1-2-3-4-5 but you chose a mix of family birthdays and the lucky number 7, like Ira Curry and she won. How was that connected to the computer and the balls in the machine to win? She had a unique set of numbers ( only two tickets won). I hope this is not a dump question, but I get confused on how numbers are picked, winning states, the randomness of the numbers/game and so on.

The numbers that the lottery selects doesn't matter. They choose one set. What matters is the numbers that the players select. They choose many. I am not saying that because you choose a unique combination, your numbers are more likely to be chosen. I am saying that if you choose a unique combination, you are more likely to win the whole jackpot and not have to share it. So think of this as completely independent of the balls drawn.

Ira shared the jackpot because someone else had the same numbers. Because she played birthday numbers, which are popular among players, there was a pretty good chance she would share it. But what if she had a unique combination that nobody else had, and those were drawn? She would've won the whole thing. Obviously, it is better to win something than nothing, but because winning something (jackpot) is a rare event of pure luck, it is better to maximize the payoff that you would receive. You can do this by choosing unpopular numbers. Hopefully I am making this clear. None of this changes the fact that you have to overcome astronomical odds, or that you will most likely never win.

Actually winning has nothing to with anything other than choosing the numbers that match those drawn by the lottery.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19815 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2014, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Wishing won't make it so.  If you track the games you play, you can do that with any decent lottery software. 

I do it with the four games I play.  I can generate a list of all combinations of 1, 2, 3 , 4, 5 or 6 that has ever been drawn during the history of those game and it hasn't help me win any more.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #129225
                        June 13, 2012
                        546 Posts
                        Posted: March 5, 2014, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Really??  Again??  This is how the numbers are picked.  The balls go in a big hopper they jump around a bit and then they come out of the shoot.  The balls do not care what order or which ones come out.  They also could care less if any player matches any of the number or any combination of the numbers.  And they especially don't care what state that ticket holder is from whether it is from California or Rhode Island. 

Unique sets of numbers are only unique to the person that picks them ie; my first boyfriends number from his football jersey, my Dad's favorite number, my birthday, etc., etc.  I only hope when my numbers come up that 12 other people didn't have the same boyfriend!!

United States
                          Member #145267
                          August 1, 2013
                          1492 Posts
                          Posted: March 5, 2014, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Saylorgirl, I hope 12 other people did not have your boyfriend too. Thanks for your reply.

United States
                            Member #145267
                            August 1, 2013
                            1492 Posts
                            Posted: March 5, 2014, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

LottoMetro, I think I get your point.

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
                              Member #103786
                              January 5, 2011
                              486 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2014, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I keep track over the past three years of all the easy picks and my own numbers that I played for mega. I went back and looked to see if any of the 2160 lines ever won the jackpot or second place. Nope......lol