Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Remaining anonymous lottery winners in WA state.

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 3 years ago by lejardin.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #125918
March 31, 2012
362 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2014, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Wow i just read an article that now WA Lottery allow anonymous winners to come claim jackpots in the state.. Now this is new and i wonder when that all changed.. 

Here is article below. 

A Gig Harbor QFC shopper won the lottery, but thanks to free cake everyone is a winner.

The Washington State Lottery served up cake and played games for prizes with shoppers at QFC, 5010 Point Fosdick Drive NW. The store sold a ticket worth $8.7 million on Feb. 22. The winner is remaining anonymous.

According to a news release, the winner told lottery officials she and her husband had saved up $100 in coins and purchased lotto tickets. The big winner was redeemed at the Federal Way office on Feb. 25. She said she and her husband would use the money to help family, purchase a house and take a hunting trip, according to the release.

"(It's) the biggest we've had in this region for quite some time," Ronald Smerer, the lottery's regional manager, said.

It is the biggest win in Washington State this year, he said. Smerer manages the Federal Way Region, which incorporates all of Seattle and stretches south through Olympia and Aberdeen. He said the region makes up about 47 percent of the lottery's business.

"It's huge, especially an $8.7 million," Terri Killion, corporate account manager for the lottery, said. Killion manages the larger corporate accounts, which includes QFC locations and other grocery stores. Killion was serving cake to curious shoppers on Friday. The cake featured a replica of the winning ticket, right down to the numbers that were played.

"It's good for people in the community to see people do win," she said.

Randy Baertschinger, the store manager, said it is exciting to have a winning ticket purchased at the store. He hoped the celebration would bring the community together.

At the QFC, the lottery held an event similar to its "Ambassador Program." It features a game that matches what players put in. A lottery partner, GTech, will match money put in by players on the machine. A representative from GTech will give $5 toward a $10 ticket, for example.

"It's just to give our players a little bonus," Smerer said.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4101 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2014, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Wow i just read an article that now WA Lottery allow anonymous winners to come claim jackpots in the state.. Now this is new and i wonder when that all changed.. 

Here is article below. 

A Gig Harbor QFC shopper won the lottery, but thanks to free cake everyone is a winner.

The Washington State Lottery served up cake and played games for prizes with shoppers at QFC, 5010 Point Fosdick Drive NW. The store sold a ticket worth $8.7 million on Feb. 22. The winner is remaining anonymous.

According to a news release, the winner told lottery officials she and her husband had saved up $100 in coins and purchased lotto tickets. The big winner was redeemed at the Federal Way office on Feb. 25. She said she and her husband would use the money to help family, purchase a house and take a hunting trip, according to the release.

"(It's) the biggest we've had in this region for quite some time," Ronald Smerer, the lottery's regional manager, said.

It is the biggest win in Washington State this year, he said. Smerer manages the Federal Way Region, which incorporates all of Seattle and stretches south through Olympia and Aberdeen. He said the region makes up about 47 percent of the lottery's business.

"It's huge, especially an $8.7 million," Terri Killion, corporate account manager for the lottery, said. Killion manages the larger corporate accounts, which includes QFC locations and other grocery stores. Killion was serving cake to curious shoppers on Friday. The cake featured a replica of the winning ticket, right down to the numbers that were played.

"It's good for people in the community to see people do win," she said.

Randy Baertschinger, the store manager, said it is exciting to have a winning ticket purchased at the store. He hoped the celebration would bring the community together.

At the QFC, the lottery held an event similar to its "Ambassador Program." It features a game that matches what players put in. A lottery partner, GTech, will match money put in by players on the machine. A representative from GTech will give $5 toward a $10 ticket, for example.

"It's just to give our players a little bonus," Smerer said.

Great News- this should be taken up Nationwide. I think one should be given the " option" as to whether they want to come forward or not.

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2014, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

It's frustrating to see that in some states you can't remain anonymous, there's some crazy people out there....

In the UK this couple who won £45m decided to stay in their house (even after going public) but one night someone broke into their house.... puts me off ever thinking of going public.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

United States
        Member #125918
        March 31, 2012
        362 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2014, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I also asked the WA Lotto reps if this also includes Powerball and Mega Millions to remain anonymous and waiting for reply.. I will post it here when i get an offical response..

United States
          Member #34931
          March 9, 2006
          98 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2014, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

"Can I remain anonymous if I claim by establishing a trust?

As a public agency, all documents held by Washington's Lottery are subject to the Public Records Act. Lottery prizes may be claimed in the name of a legally formed entity, such as a trust. However, in the event of a public records request, the documents forming the artificial entity may be released, thereby revealing the individual names of winners."

http://walottery.com/WinningNumbers/ClaimYourPrize/Default.aspx

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2014, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

"Can I remain anonymous if I claim by establishing a trust?

As a public agency, all documents held by Washington's Lottery are subject to the Public Records Act. Lottery prizes may be claimed in the name of a legally formed entity, such as a trust. However, in the event of a public records request, the documents forming the artificial entity may be released, thereby revealing the individual names of winners."

http://walottery.com/WinningNumbers/ClaimYourPrize/Default.aspx

+1

In my state you can request anonymity, but nothing prevents anyone from filing a records request and learning your identity.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
              Member #118609
              November 4, 2011
              930 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2014, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I also asked the WA Lotto reps if this also includes Powerball and Mega Millions to remain anonymous and waiting for reply.. I will post it here when i get an offical response..

Any response back Tony?