Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$20 California ticket

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 3 years ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pasadena, CA
United States
Member #153326
March 13, 2014
186 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2014, 2:40 am - IP Logged

I'm new to this thread and I'm sure this was addressed but do any California players out there think it's bogus that the $5 Million Jackpot $20 ticket has both the free ticket and $20 prize? Really kind of dissuades me--and I'm guessing a lot of people--from playing (I bought five consecutive tickets and won one breakeven prize). I contacted the Lottery about this and never received a response. Makes you think that if you're going to spend $20 on the lottery, play either the Daily 3 or Hot Spot Bulls Eye.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2014, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I see both the free ticket and $20 win as the same, although the odds are slightly different.  Ultimately, you're looking at the total return on the game over time, not individual lower tier prizes while hoping to hit the top prize. The free ticket and $20 prizes make up 7,840,000 prizes or 67% of the available winning tickets.  If they didn't have those two prizes in the prize pool and started the prize at say, $30 at higher odds, the interval between winners will likely be much longer for most people, and they will complain much more loudly over that than winning break even prizes.

I don't remember the state, but I recall a high denomination game actually had prizes starting lower than the face value of the ticket.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2014, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm new to this thread and I'm sure this was addressed but do any California players out there think it's bogus that the $5 Million Jackpot $20 ticket has both the free ticket and $20 prize? Really kind of dissuades me--and I'm guessing a lot of people--from playing (I bought five consecutive tickets and won one breakeven prize). I contacted the Lottery about this and never received a response. Makes you think that if you're going to spend $20 on the lottery, play either the Daily 3 or Hot Spot Bulls Eye.

Yeah, it's somewhat bogus for a few reasons.

Compared to other states, our $20 game is more bottom loaded. As mrcraft pointed out, 2/3 of all the winners in the game are stuffed into the lowest prize level, the combined TKT/$20 bottom two prize tiers. And that accounts for 23% of the total prize payout for the game.

Other states have only about half or less of all the winners stuffed into their lowest prize tier, which is often just a single $20 prize tier.(no Ticket prizes) And that typically makes up less than 20% of the total payout. Other states have odds of around 1-in-6 for that $20 prize, whereas we in Cali have two tiers with about 1-in-10 odds each, so that kinda evens out.

But why does Cali like to have both Ticket and $20 prizes in their $20 game and load the lowest prize level with more winners and payout? Not sure. Maybe they will do better with the next $20 game. But they also do this with many of our $10 games, which also have both a Ticket and $10 prize tier, so I would expect more of the same.

United States
        Member #147165
        September 24, 2013
        507 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2014, 3:59 am - IP Logged

I am also very very disappointed with how the first $20 ticket came out either, primarily because of the break even prize structures.

Most of the $5 or $10 games are structured where you can win a dollar, double up, triple up, or quadruple up at attainable odds.

$25 - 1 in 30 to win 5 dollars

$50 - 1 in 22 to double up (2.5x)

$100 - 1 in 33 to 5x

The TICKET prize is under the presumption the player will be forced by the retailer to play another ticket (where odds are they will possibly lose) where as the $20 (break even) prize allows for the player to either buy another ticket or walk away. The retailers I usually buy tickets reimburses the TICKET purchase as cash so I can do whatever I want with it. The one place I seen it stictly enforced in the Lottery Store at Nipton (California / Nevada stateline).

TICKET has a 1 to 10 odds, $20 has a 1 in 8 odds. So 1 out of every 4 1/2 tickets will be a break even.

Playing 20 daily 3 numbers in straight gives you 1 in 50 chances to win about $400 - $600 (depending on the pari-mutuel), straight/box improves those chances to about 1 in 30 to win about $40-$300