Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New California games

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 3 years ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pasadena, CA
United States
Member #153326
March 13, 2014
186 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2014, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

California Lottery website has its April games up; $500 Frenzy looks interesting. A little peeved at how the new $10 crossword has literally the exact same odds and prize structure as the current game, except with the addition of the two bonus words. Lucky Stars is also a duplication of Cool Cash--same odds and prize structure--with a different color. Except for the $5 game, does the Lottery have any plans on rolling out more diverse games or the same freaking game with a different color and name?

United States
    Member #147165
    September 24, 2013
    507 Posts
    Posted: March 18, 2014, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

They will roll out another set of Lucky for Life games within the next month or two. Not sure when the new $20 game Million $$ Match will roll out.

Crosswords have been relatively the same with very little changes for many years now (5x Crossword, Tripling Crossword, Mega Crossword, now the $10 crosswords), but it sells very very well. So if the demand is there, they do not need to make ammends to their games.

I personally liked the Bedazzled and Hidden Treasure games where you match coordinates to reveal a gem, and 3 of a kind nets you a prize. I can see where it brings up controversies. Gambling is not skill based, so whatever they come up with, it should be simple to recognize winners and losers.

Not to sound rude, it would be good to post your thoughts on the California Scratchers main thread. Its not just a thread where you post ticket purchases or results, it will be easier to get your responses there from people from California and it may have interest to other players.

Pasadena, CA
      United States
      Member #153326
      March 13, 2014
      186 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2014, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Regarding last sentence; will do. Having been a scratcher player for 14 years, though, it would be nice to see more diverse games. Before the scratcher overhaul in 2010, California had been one of the lowest per-capita scratcher sales states. Adding newly-themed games would be a nice way to generate interest and bringing in some more revenue.

United States
        Member #147165
        September 24, 2013
        507 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2014, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I do not doubt your opinion,  the type of scratchers that I see other states offer is more intriguing than what we have, more multipliers/symbols instant winners, and even a true jackpot like payout (100,000 a year for life). I remember two years ago we had a $5 game called Hot Streak with 6 mini games in one, but there has not been another remake of that.

I also think it ultimately boils down to the players winning to improve sales.  I think the 2009 AB142 accomplished a good part of that, the 34 cents per dollar to education does not apply to scratchers anymore, leading to higher return on payouts and more lower tier prizes (top prize went from 1 in 480,000 or 1 in 600,000 to 1 in 1.2 million and up). Before that, winning even $50 was so rare and most prizes were break even or double ups. people thought scratchers were rigged.