Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Affluenza

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 3 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: March 20, 2014, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

So I saw the case on the boy Ethan Couch, he was drunk killed 3 or 4 people with his car claimed he was too rich to understand right from wrong and got rehab instead of jail. Anyways it made me rmember something a lawyer on t.v. said years ago. "It is better to be rich and guilty than poor and innocent".  So it made me think if you won a huge jackpot and your kid did something illegal, would you try to get them off like O.J. and hire a dream team of attorney's or would you let them take their chances with a mediocre lawyer and maybe go to jail?? Would you become one of the rich who thinks they can buy their way out of things? What's your take on these type incidents?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1534 Posts
    Posted: March 20, 2014, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

It depends on how much money you actually got from the lottery.  And for me, I'm old school, so what that means is, if the family is financially well off, my kids better not be getting in trouble.

United States
      Member #135804
      November 29, 2012
      318 Posts
      Posted: March 20, 2014, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Hire a dream team...but I'd definitely take away their Playstation

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: March 20, 2014, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

So I saw the case on the boy Ethan Couch, he was drunk killed 3 or 4 people with his car claimed he was too rich to understand right from wrong and got rehab instead of jail. Anyways it made me rmember something a lawyer on t.v. said years ago. "It is better to be rich and guilty than poor and innocent".  So it made me think if you won a huge jackpot and your kid did something illegal, would you try to get them off like O.J. and hire a dream team of attorney's or would you let them take their chances with a mediocre lawyer and maybe go to jail?? Would you become one of the rich who thinks they can buy their way out of things? What's your take on these type incidents?

Hi Shelby Mustang,

I remember reading about that story and how angry I was that Ethan got off and never had to spend anytime in jail. I am so tired of wealthy people being able to hire the best defense and get off. I've never understood why drunk drivers get off so easy. What is the difference between someone with a loaded gun killing someone and someone who is drunk, gets behind their wheel and kills people because of their recklessness? I see no difference and until our laws change and drunk driving is looked upon as murder then I don't see things changing. Sometimes parents need to give their kids tough love and have them do the time in certain cases like the one you mentioned. What about the 3 or 4 people who were killed by this young man's actions, there lives were ended forever, and what about their families lifelong heartbreak? I' m so tired of our justice system catering to the wealthy people in our society. What was the judge thinking by just sending Ethan to rehab instead of jail? If I ever became rich I would not try to buy my way out of things. We need to have a justice system that does not care if you have money to buy the best defense or you are dirt poor. This would also apply to celebrities who manage to get off for crimes that the ordinary person would be in jail for.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3301 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2014, 2:15 am - IP Logged

nah i'd let the little <snip>er fry. hopefully  i would have pssed my morals on, and he wouldnt want to get off  facing the consequences  of his actions anyhow. 

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

LAKE HAVASU AZ
            United States
            Member #44729
            August 8, 2006
            446 Posts
            Posted: March 21, 2014, 10:40 am - IP Logged

nah i'd let the little <snip>er fry. hopefully  i would have pssed my morals on, and he wouldnt want to get off  facing the consequences  of his actions anyhow. 

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I Agree! i don't care how RICH OR FAMOUS  you are, you do it, you face the laws we ALL have to live by ,  the parents should be ashamed  for raising such a spoiled child ...

some day....some day

fajardo
              United States
              Member #152445
              February 15, 2014
              47 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2014, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I would hire them a good lawyer to get the best representation possible but they need to face the consequences of their actions. Wheter is by the justice system or being cut off by me , repeatedly bailing your children out is just setting them out for failure. I'm not going to be an accomplice to their reckless behavior.

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2014, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I am deathly afraid of influenza, Scaredso every year I am sure to get my flu shot.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2659 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2014, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

I am deathly afraid of influenza, Scaredso every year I am sure to get my flu shot.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2659 Posts
                    Posted: March 21, 2014, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Hire a dream team...but I'd definitely take away their Playstation

LOL

that and I'd force them to watch nutting but both versions of Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory for a month and two

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      644 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2014, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi Shelby Mustang,

I remember reading about that story and how angry I was that Ethan got off and never had to spend anytime in jail. I am so tired of wealthy people being able to hire the best defense and get off. I've never understood why drunk drivers get off so easy. What is the difference between someone with a loaded gun killing someone and someone who is drunk, gets behind their wheel and kills people because of their recklessness? I see no difference and until our laws change and drunk driving is looked upon as murder then I don't see things changing. Sometimes parents need to give their kids tough love and have them do the time in certain cases like the one you mentioned. What about the 3 or 4 people who were killed by this young man's actions, there lives were ended forever, and what about their families lifelong heartbreak? I' m so tired of our justice system catering to the wealthy people in our society. What was the judge thinking by just sending Ethan to rehab instead of jail? If I ever became rich I would not try to buy my way out of things. We need to have a justice system that does not care if you have money to buy the best defense or you are dirt poor. This would also apply to celebrities who manage to get off for crimes that the ordinary person would be in jail for.

Hi Shy I think the argument that drunk drivers get off or rather can only be charged with manslaughter rather than murder is because of what the lawyers say is "diminished capacity". Basically means that they were too impaired to know any better

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4806 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2014, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

It has more to do with the mens rea/state of mind.  One needs to have a specific intent to murder.  So if you are drunk, it is often argued you could not form a rational decision (one that you might not have other made if you were sober). So the lesser offense of manslaughter arises.

J'aime La France.

United States
                          Member #124493
                          March 14, 2012
                          7023 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2014, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I am afraid of affluenza.  Thats why I pick up my food stamps every week.