Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does the Mega Millions Jackpot not start at $40 mil?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 3 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4106 Posts
Posted: March 24, 2014, 12:10 am - IP Logged

If PB can do it- why not MM?

What is the issue- anyone know?

By now the powers that be must know that the public is behind this new format- why not show their true colors by starting above the paltry $15 mil? The starting price is an insult..IMHO compared to PB.

Thoughts?

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2014, 12:30 am - IP Logged

because

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4106 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2014, 12:39 am - IP Logged

because

..Thanks, your thoughts are profound... l think.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
        Member #141034
        April 2, 2013
        1408 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2014, 12:43 am - IP Logged

Greed!!!.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: March 24, 2014, 1:30 am - IP Logged

By now the powers that be must know that the public is behind this new format- why not show their true colors by starting above the paltry $15 mil? The starting price is an insult..IMHO compared to PB.

Thoughts?

When they change the matrix they also change the starting jackpot amount.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            11929 Posts
            Posted: March 24, 2014, 6:28 am - IP Logged

You answered your own question- The public is not baulking at the new format.....my guess is that their next move is $2 per ticket, and then they will raise the starting price to grease the skids....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40421 Posts
              Posted: March 24, 2014, 6:37 am - IP Logged

You answered your own question- The public is not baulking at the new format.....my guess is that their next move is $2 per ticket, and then they will raise the starting price to grease the skids....

Yep

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                Member #149820
                December 9, 2013
                644 Posts
                Posted: March 24, 2014, 7:29 am - IP Logged

Thoughts?

Yeah I'd hate to see the MM price to go up to $2 buck, or rather $3 with the megaplier. What wrong with 15 million? Nobody on here has that amount of money, it's money than any of us here make in a year, and my final question is "If it was you that won the 15 million...would you be calling it paltry?Me? I'd take it and shut my mouth and consider that I was the luckiest person on earth. My philosophy is that any "jackpot" is a is worth winning, its more than we'd ever earn on our own

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                  USA
                  United States
                  Member #152799
                  February 25, 2014
                  1092 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2014, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Yeah I'd hate to see the MM price to go up to $2 buck, or rather $3 with the megaplier. What wrong with 15 million? Nobody on here has that amount of money, it's money than any of us here make in a year, and my final question is "If it was you that won the 15 million...would you be calling it paltry?Me? I'd take it and shut my mouth and consider that I was the luckiest person on earth. My philosophy is that any "jackpot" is a is worth winning, its more than we'd ever earn on our own

Winning a $15 million jackpot does not equate to having $15 million in the bank. The cash option after all taxes are factored in would leave the winner with roughly $5 million. You may not be worth anything close to $5 million but I am willing to bet there are some L.P. members who are.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5595 Posts
                    Posted: March 24, 2014, 8:21 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Cash value on 15 mil is about 8.3 mil. About 5 mil after all the taxes are paid.

Instant retirement for me.

I'm ok with that.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                      USA
                      United States
                      Member #152799
                      February 25, 2014
                      1092 Posts
                      Posted: March 24, 2014, 8:33 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Cash value on 15 mil is about 8.3 mil. About 5 mil after all the taxes are paid.

Instant retirement for me.

I'm ok with that.

I Agree!

$5 million in the bank would work for me as well! I would still keep my day job (mother/housewife). Smile

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4106 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2014, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Thanks for your response fja- but you know as well as l that the price structure was put in " before" people did not balk at the starting rate or the appeal of the JP.So the question remains.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4106 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2014, 10:16 am - IP Logged

The question is not whether one would refuse $15 mil Shelby, its why it cannot start at  $25-$30 mil given the odds?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2014, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Thoughts?

How can the starting jackpot be an insult to anyone who is willing to buy a ticket when the jackpot is $15M?   If you don't like the starting jackpot, don't start playing until it reaches the amount you would be willing spent a dollar for a ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4106 Posts
                              Posted: March 24, 2014, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

How can the starting jackpot be an insult to anyone who is willing to buy a ticket when the jackpot is $15M?   If you don't like the starting jackpot, don't start playing until it reaches the amount you would be willing spent a dollar for a ticket.

For a JP with these odds? Of course its an insult in my opinion, and opinions are like noses, everyone has one.
                              PB is $2.00 with a better starting JP, so why can't MM raise their's? They may say it only cost a buck..but once again take a look at the odds compared to that of PB...hope you get my drift.
                              Peace.