Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

excel lottery pool manager

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 3 years ago by SergeM.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
SAMMAMISH
United States
Member #154135
April 5, 2014
3 Posts
Posted: April 5, 2014, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Years ago, I ran a lottery pool for work on an excel spreadsheet as I was an aerospace bean counter.

Now I'm retired and refined the spreadsheet to manage pb and mm for ten tickets for the next five draws, and calculate the winnings. My last tweak allows each spreadsheet user to refresh the pb mm results via a one click refresh of an external query.

I'm out of the pool manager business, just curious if anyone has an interest in managing the pool by filling out the spreadsheet emailing it to the pool allowing the members to update the results fairly easily(via ie internet, excel 2007).

captnpops

sflottolover's avatar - spherewall2
    San Leandro, very near Oakland and San Francisco.
    United States
    Member #148590
    November 5, 2013
    98 Posts
    Posted: April 5, 2014, 10:37 am - IP Logged

How can I get help to rewise or learn it back? (After a very time have not touched excel nearly all forget how to use.

Your new post seems bring me a twilight. What can i do if i forget my excel's skill? (or need to update with new editions to Excel 7, 10.)

I'm early want to get back my excel memory. (Very long time not touched nearly forgot.)

Thanks for your kindness to visit my posting; and left me your warmness for my slow chewing! 

Those who wants to win lottery is normal; and it is abnormal if anybody does not want to win!

http://www.writers-network.com/members/sfiawong

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19830 Posts
      Posted: April 5, 2014, 11:54 am - IP Logged

How can I get help to rewise or learn it back? (After a very time have not touched excel nearly all forget how to use.

Your new post seems bring me a twilight. What can i do if i forget my excel's skill? (or need to update with new editions to Excel 7, 10.)

I'm early want to get back my excel memory. (Very long time not touched nearly forgot.)

With today's operation systems of 64 bits what you remember doing yesterday doesn't mean much.  You have to be continuing to relearn to keep up.  With MicroSoft no longer supporting Windows XP in a few days a lot of stuff people learned years ago with have to be relearned to use the newer versions of their programs.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #148590
        November 5, 2013
        98 Posts
        Posted: April 5, 2014, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

MSFT, office programs could not use properly as I bought my new notebook with window 8. I really cannot use the excel comfortably. There're sometimes, the result comes out not quite perfect. I beleive it is true, update of learning might be neccessary, i hope can learn it again in Hong Kong if it is possible.

Thanks for RJOH suggested.

Thanks for your kindness to visit my posting; and left me your warmness for my slow chewing! 

Those who wants to win lottery is normal; and it is abnormal if anybody does not want to win!

SAMMAMISH
          United States
          Member #154135
          April 5, 2014
          3 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2014, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Great point RJOh,

My approach to excel was to develop and use tools/reports and analysis in my everyday job.. As an aerospace beancounter mostly in management, I had the opportunity to use excel in many different environments.

Personnally, the ability to write several what-ifs/then formulas separated the majority of those that are curious and perhaps intimidated to a few that are not only comfortable but anxious for more challenges..

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2014, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

I just found out that the web query on the Texas All Or Nothing doesn't do it anymore in Excel. They changed the output, so instead of getting the values nicely into cells, we get annoying strings like 1 - 2 - 3. That is not very user friendly! I can fix the problem for myself. For others it isn't fixable without doing the manual splitting in Excel.

SAMMAMISH
              United States
              Member #154135
              April 5, 2014
              3 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2014, 12:29 am - IP Logged

I use Idaho which is a string also, but since each number is two digits, I use a row of cells with the offset value of digits in each cell... 1, 4, 7, 10, 13

16, and point a mid formula to separate.. ie mid(string, offsetcell address, 2).

United States
                Member #148590
                November 5, 2013
                98 Posts
                Posted: April 8, 2014, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Great point RJOh,

My approach to excel was to develop and use tools/reports and analysis in my everyday job.. As an aerospace beancounter mostly in management, I had the opportunity to use excel in many different environments.

Personnally, the ability to write several what-ifs/then formulas separated the majority of those that are curious and perhaps intimidated to a few that are not only comfortable but anxious for more challenges..

I first learned Lotus 1-2-3 before the initial excel appear. It was the first Excel that I learned and used for five years in managing, and produced accounting reports handed to my accountant, for the 10 units apartment until it was sold. For the busy works on the other jobs, the excel has been untoched over 17 years (now), I really forget most of the usage about the main keys fuctions. Especially for the new keys fuctions of newer 03,07,10,13 (that most after my first learnt). I think it may help me again , if ther e is any free pre-set lottery excel drawings.

I like excel very much myslelf, because I believe it is powerful for recording, querry, output answers, also powerful calculation in the computer. It is surely can help me in the lotteries predictions!

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                  Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: April 30, 2014, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I use Idaho which is a string also, but since each number is two digits, I use a row of cells with the offset value of digits in each cell... 1, 4, 7, 10, 13

16, and point a mid formula to separate.. ie mid(string, offsetcell address, 2).

The solution to the problem is downloading my addin. For this see http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/274354 .