Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Camel passing through the eye of a needle...

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 3 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: April 22, 2014, 7:29 am - IP Logged

The saying that is "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to pass throught the gates of heaven"

I have always wondered if rich men like Donald Trump, Sheldon Addelson, Bill Gates, Steve Wynn, Buffet, and hundreds of others, worry about that or even think about that. Would you if you won a jackpot?

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #103813
    January 5, 2011
    1530 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2014, 9:32 am - IP Logged

The saying that is "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to pass throught the gates of heaven"

I have always wondered if rich men like Donald Trump, Sheldon Addelson, Bill Gates, Steve Wynn, Buffet, and hundreds of others, worry about that or even think about that. Would you if you won a jackpot?

I think those like Buffett and Gates that have pedged to give away their wealth before they croak have a pretty good shot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Pledge

Others...not so much.

Furthermore, Buffett wisely says:

"I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing"

The son of a rich man is seldom a good man.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4146 Posts
      Posted: April 22, 2014, 10:09 am - IP Logged

I think the answer lies in verse 21- where the "Rich Man" was not willing to give away all his wealth to follow the Christ..
      Essentially speaking to those with wealth today" Are you willing to walk away from massive wealth" or is that a line you not prepared to cross?
      It reminds me of when" Indiana Jones was told " Choose Wisely!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10391 Posts
        Posted: April 22, 2014, 10:59 am - IP Logged

There was a gate in Jerusalem known as the "needle" and as Jesus was telling a parable he saw a heavily laden camel having a hard time getting through the gate, thus the saying.

As for 'rich' i agree with noise-gate.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Sunny California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          7713 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2014, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I think about that NOW,lol. Jackpot or not. I suppose at times we all worry about our status on the "heaven" list.

Funny you should mention this because I've just been reading the Bible more lately and just came across that passage. 

Having millions of dollars...well,most of us can't fathom that. It brings its worries,just as having NO money. And,yes,I think they do worry about it,maybe not at this second but if they ever fall ill then that's when you start taking stock.

But at the end of the day,I think I'd rather be worrying about how long my old water heater will hold out and how I'm gonna pay for it then having to worry about who's after my "millions". Everyone wants something from you when you're rich. Who wants THAT headache? I'll stay humble and hope the gates swing open someday :)

nods's avatar - animated sphere.gif
            kansas city, missouri
            United States
            Member #100707
            November 17, 2010
            113 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2014, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I think about that NOW,lol. Jackpot or not. I suppose at times we all worry about our status on the "heaven" list.

Funny you should mention this because I've just been reading the Bible more lately and just came across that passage. 

Having millions of dollars...well,most of us can't fathom that. It brings its worries,just as having NO money. And,yes,I think they do worry about it,maybe not at this second but if they ever fall ill then that's when you start taking stock.

But at the end of the day,I think I'd rather be worrying about how long my old water heater will hold out and how I'm gonna pay for it then having to worry about who's after my "millions". Everyone wants something from you when you're rich. Who wants THAT headache? I'll stay humble and hope the gates swing open someday :)

the poor can't help the poor, only the rich can.  if you are having guilt feelings about your status in life, go out and give to charity, buy supplies for a food pantry.  all these things are good.  one thing to keep in mind, i told an aquaintance once, that there's nothing wrong with a person being rich or having a lot of money, when you consider that the god factor has all the riches ever,  and  if"god" can be rich, so can i.  doing for others so that they help themselves is noble, not just giving them charity.  a person who can eventually rise above his struggles gains pride and self-respect.  of course there those who will take advantage of the guilt-ridden wealthy. 

until that god appears and speaks directly to the planet, we have use our conscience to find the best way we can.  perhaps we fail to see the real god/goddess before us.  nature/earth.  which gives, takes away.  provides all that we need, but can be harsh and cruel also.  we seek a deity in our likeness, but maybe it's not, if that the case, what is the original of all other species that exist? 

i open my eyes and i see reality as it effects my 5 senses.  anything beyond that i can only speculate on.  enjoy the simple pleasures of life and when motivated, help others along the way.  at  least you have something to give.  the  poor have nothing, and hope is a prison.

Atomic Dog's avatar - sniffer
              Minnesota
              United States
              Member #13028
              March 28, 2005
              870 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2014, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

The intentions of the lottery player are initially to buy a shot at gaining time and money which are always limited to everyone .. regardless of class/monetary status.  What is completely revealing is how a lottery win amplifies the "jackass" or the "saint" in the winner who was either a "jackass" before the win or a "saint" before the win.  What the lottery win does for the jackass or the saint is allows either more time to be more of a jackass or more of a saint.

The biggest question to ask yourself is which one are you currently and how can you change to be more of a saint before your lottery win.  OR .... do you still wish to be a jackass ... and accept the consequences of being a jackass with a lottery win jackpot as well?  The name Jack Whittacker comes to mind with the latter scenario.  Rich jackass before the lottery win .... enhanced rich jackass after the lottery win who suffered great consequences.

My advice ..... start now to some how help someone or some group to be more saintly so that you will not suffer after a lottery win.  Your help will prepare your mind to be way more responsible with your huge gains in time and moany with a lottery win.

And yes, before you repsond ... I already know that I am a jackass.  But I am trying my hardest to be more saintly.

BOW WOW WOW ......

...... YIPPY YOH YIPPY YAY!!!

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2014, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

The only thing I need passed through the eye of a needle right now is a winning JP lottery ticket.

(Or a fortune cookie with some winning numbers.)

God help me to not be a jackass, by sendiing me some money!