Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

you cant cash out if you scratch off the code?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 3 years ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #155117
May 8, 2014
11 Posts
Posted: May 13, 2014, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

so i scratch off the code

on the ticket i have it says HUN i scratched it so i know what to expect when i cash in

i heard from one of my co worker if you scratch a code from a lotto ticket you dont get the money its a ded ticket

NY LOttery

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: May 13, 2014, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

If you scratch the bar code off completely so that you can't read it, it may be a dead ticket.  Take it to your lottery office to see if they can cash it.  But just scratching the latex off the entire ticket does not void that ticket.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
      Kentucky
      United States
      Member #35086
      March 12, 2006
      10374 Posts
      Posted: May 13, 2014, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

so i scratch off the code

on the ticket i have it says HUN i scratched it so i know what to expect when i cash in

i heard from one of my co worker if you scratch a code from a lotto ticket you dont get the money its a ded ticket

NY LOttery

Well   if you mean the prize amount listed under the numbers ,  on the front of the ticket , that  you  scratch off ,  your  co  worker is  wrong

You scratch the numbers and then if they match the games  winning numbers , then you scratch  the prize amount to see what you have won

Now the " BAR " Code on the back of the ticket  , or  where ever it may be located  ,  is  totally  different

You  don't  want to  damage  that 

I have seen heavy players   buy a lot of tickets , and then see them just pass the  Bar  Code  under the ticket checking machine ,   to see if they have won, and if they haven't  , then they throw the ticket  away  , without even scratching the front of it  at all

Which seems strange to me , but I have seen them do it

Once again  Wildturtle  , as I mentioned in your other thread , the " Bar"   Code is Most Important

It does not matter how ( or what )  you scratch off  on the front of the ticket , as long as you  don't damage the " Bar "   Code on the back of the ticket

The  "  BAR "  code on the back of the ticket is what the Lottery machines uses  to check for a winning  ticket

The lottery  machine could care less what the front of the ticket  looks  like ( it is  like that in Ky.  , and I would suppose it would be like that everywhere )

Per my advice I gave you in   your other thread   about  this  ( take your  ticket  to  someone you trust , or check it yourself on one of those self checking lottery machines , or call the State Lottery with any questions , if  you  still  have  any  doubts  )

The self checking  lottery  machine  will tell you if it is a winner or not

( your  co  worker might have been talking about the "  BAR "  code on  the back off  the ticket  ( which would be correct if it was damaged and would not read ) and that might be where the confusion   is  , between you and your co worker )

But there would never be any reason to scratch the " Bar "  code  on the back of the ticket to begin  with

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: May 13, 2014, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

It should say clearly on your ticket.  In Massachusetts, for example, scratch tickets have "Void if removed" language on the latex coating above the validation code on the front. It just depends on your state.  Here in California, it doesn't matter if you scratch the validation code or not.

Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: May 13, 2014, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

It should say clearly on your ticket.  In Massachusetts, for example, scratch tickets have "Void if removed" language on the latex coating above the validation code on the front. It just depends on your state.  Here in California, it doesn't matter if you scratch the validation code or not.

No way!  Seriously?

The validation code on the front is how you check them here, and it's how you can use your winnings as a credit in a vending machine.  I always scratch the front code no matter where I'm cashing it as a favor to the cashier so they won't have to scratch it.

Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: May 13, 2014, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

I just went to the Mass website, and you are correct MrCraft.  Apologies to the OP if he's in Mass, I was wrong.  The good news is, the area you're not supposed to scratch seems to be clearly marked.  It would be difficult to accidentally scratch it unless you can't read English.  Hmmm come to think of it, that could be a big problem in certain areas.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: May 15, 2014, 1:47 am - IP Logged

That's just weird... what point does that really serve? It seems like it would just be the string of numbers you have in other states that help with verification. I always scratch that area on the card so it's quicker at the counter when I'm turning them in.

Not sure about the OPs card, on the site I didn't see any pictures of tickets having a warning about scratching a certain part. Doing a Google search of NY lottery and the HUN combination I got a site that made it sound as though it didn't invalidate the ticket. If it didn't specifically say it will void your ticket like the Mass one does, I wouldn't think it would.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3102 Posts
                Posted: May 15, 2014, 7:00 am - IP Logged

In Floriduh the bar code on the back is for ringing up the ticket.  The win code is on the front and you can scratch it to scan it to see if it won without having to scratch anything else.  The Escape to Margaritaville tickets you have to scratch same to see the code to enter it in the second chance draw. 

On the other hand, if someone tries to sell you a ticket with the code showing, they scanned it and know it won't win or not worth enough to buy and cash somewhere else. 

BobP