Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

cashing in your prize questions

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mrcraft.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #155117
May 8, 2014
11 Posts
Posted: May 22, 2014, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

if you win $500 on a $5 ticket and go to a retailer to cash it in

do they have to give you their $500 from the bank account or the new york lottery will give them the $500 to give to me

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: May 22, 2014, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

They should give you $500 cash from their cash register.  The retailer will be reimbursed later.

Sometimes retailers won't have cash on hand and will refuse or ask that you come back later.  You should be able to find someone in your area that will pay you right away though.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 22, 2014, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

do they have to give you their $500 from the bank account or the new york lottery will give them the $500 to give to me

It's easiest to take them to a large supermarket that sells lottery tickets.

They always have plenty of cash on hand and employees that are less likely to try to rip you off.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
        Winning makes me smile.
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        4874 Posts
        Posted: May 22, 2014, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Sign your ticket first above all else, so no one can rip you off.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          22939 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2014, 2:10 am - IP Logged

They should give you $500 cash from their cash register.  The retailer will be reimbursed later.

Sometimes retailers won't have cash on hand and will refuse or ask that you come back later.  You should be able to find someone in your area that will pay you right away though.

lol

That just sounded funny after reading OP's question.

'They should give you $500 from their cash register'.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
            Baltimore, MD
            United States
            Member #143332
            May 30, 2013
            398 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2014, 8:10 am - IP Logged

What others have said, it comes out of the retailer's money. Since lottery agents are a dime a dozen, even if one agent is running short on cash, you can just go to another and get your ticket cash. The best places to go and cash your tickets knowing they will have the cash on hand are supermarkets and gas stations and Liquor stores.

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
              Kentucky
              United States
              Member #35086
              March 12, 2006
              10374 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2014, 9:45 am - IP Logged

It's easiest to take them to a large supermarket that sells lottery tickets.

They always have plenty of cash on hand and employees that are less likely to try to rip you off.

I    agree   with    Ridge

The Supermarket  around town here is always good about  cashing  them  also

And there is a gas station in town here  ,  that is a cashing agent for the lottery  , and they will always cash them every time also , and even larger amounts

Most other places will cash a small box win or two ( but that's about it ) as  most places like to sell the tickets ( but they  tend to start  fish crawling   when it comes time to cash them )

Marana AZ
                United States
                Member #145341
                August 3, 2013
                178 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2014, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

Supermarkets, especially those with bank branches, are always good.

Gas stations are hit or miss. Here in Arizona, many have a policy to put the extra cash in the safe when a register exceeds $40, although if you can catch them just before they cash dump, you might be able to squeeze out $100.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2014, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Your answer is partially true bud.  The store is reimbursed Immediately,  l was told that by a convenient store owner who said that a bank account is established that records payouts & it refills the coffers immediately- sweet.Makes perfect sense to me, why should the convenient store owner have to wait to be reimbursed at a later date especially if the store paid out a couple grand in one day?

The only folks waiting for their JP winnings are the winners, not the stores- this of course applies to the  California Lottery to the best of my knowledge.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                    Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #149492
                    December 2, 2013
                    919 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2014, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Your answer is partially true bud.  The store is reimbursed Immediately,  l was told that by a convenient store owner who said that a bank account is established that records payouts & it refills the coffers immediately- sweet.Makes perfect sense to me, why should the convenient store owner have to wait to be reimbursed at a later date especially if the store paid out a couple grand in one day?

The only folks waiting for their JP winnings are the winners, not the stores- this of course applies to the  California Lottery to the best of my knowledge.

By later, I didn't mean days or weeks later.  I assumed they get reimbursed quickly after some reconciliation at the end of each day.