Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

For Fun: Should your State Lottery enforce a rule that as a JP winner you must face the cameras..

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 3 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2014, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

What would you say to the viewing public?

Personally: Thank you for coming- and Goodbye!

I'd be glad to face the public if I was carrying a great big lotto check. LOL I wouldnt answer any super personal questions but I would stay and answer for a couple hours however long the press conference is and then I'd leave with my millions. Heck I cant wait for the press conference if it means I won a bunch of money

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
    Connecticut
    United States
    Member #61623
    May 29, 2008
    20581 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2014, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

What would you say to the viewing public?

Personally: Thank you for coming- and Goodbye!

I swear I hope I get my chance to say to CT lottery on live tv ..."thank you for fist-f*cking me all these years with your

shady games.."   lol

Believe me I would do it

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2014, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

"The man accused of faking sign interpretation while standing alongside world leaders at Nelson Mandela's memorial service said he hallucinated that angels were entering the stadium,he suffers from schizophrenia and has been violent in the past," reports the Associated Press.

l guess you would not care a bit if someone accused you of hallucinating as well huh HoLeeKau?

I would not care one bit noise-gate.

United States
        Member #93947
        July 10, 2010
        2180 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2014, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Getting What You Ask For

Most of the sentiment here seems to be in favor of anonymity for lottery winners.  But have you thought about what the lottery would be like if you got your way?  After each drawing, the states would post the results and the number of winners in all prize categories, much as they do now in the low tier categories.  Ticket sale locations would have to be withheld as well since a little investigating and questioning might allow a persistent reporter to expose someone.  In most states an accounting would probably be published by month or quarter so you would have some big numbers to think about as you exercised your imagination in an effort to maintain the enthusiasm necessary to keep you trudging to your local ticket outlet.

Lottery Post could [hopefully] still post the results but without benefit of any identifying information.  The current stories about winners and lucky ticket outlets would disappear.  To further ensure anonymity, the multi-state jackpot games might even cease reporting of which states the winning tickets were purchased in.

In general, I think The Lottery would deteriorate into quite a boring enterprize.

Given the mistrust and anti-government sentiment I observe here at LP, I wonder how many members would continue to buy tickets in such a lottery?

Would you? Smile

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7310 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2014, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Getting What You Ask For

Most of the sentiment here seems to be in favor of anonymity for lottery winners.  But have you thought about what the lottery would be like if you got your way?  After each drawing, the states would post the results and the number of winners in all prize categories, much as they do now in the low tier categories.  Ticket sale locations would have to be withheld as well since a little investigating and questioning might allow a persistent reporter to expose someone.  In most states an accounting would probably be published by month or quarter so you would have some big numbers to think about as you exercised your imagination in an effort to maintain the enthusiasm necessary to keep you trudging to your local ticket outlet.

Lottery Post could [hopefully] still post the results but without benefit of any identifying information.  The current stories about winners and lucky ticket outlets would disappear.  To further ensure anonymity, the multi-state jackpot games might even cease reporting of which states the winning tickets were purchased in.

In general, I think The Lottery would deteriorate into quite a boring enterprize.

Given the mistrust and anti-government sentiment I observe here at LP, I wonder how many members would continue to buy tickets in such a lottery?

Would you? Smile

"Ticket sale locations would have to be withheld as well since a little investigating and questioning might allow a persistent reporter to expose someone."

Very good point, but after a month or two goes by and the winner still hasn't validated the ticket even the states now allowing anonymity publish the store location trying to find the winner. Total anonymity will make it easier for dishonest store owners and clerks defraud some of the players too.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2014, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Getting What You Ask For

Would you? Smile

Your response is only one sided on the issue Jimmy- as you well know claiming anonymity does not shield one from reporters digging in till they hit paydirt. Out here in California we are told through the Lottery Handbook that " forming a trust" does not insulate one from anonymity. The freedom of information act always kicks in. I would wager that it applies to those lottery winner's who claim anonymously in states that allow so called anonymity as well. All winners can run- but they can't hide.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2014, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

"Ticket sale locations would have to be withheld as well since a little investigating and questioning might allow a persistent reporter to expose someone."

Very good point, but after a month or two goes by and the winner still hasn't validated the ticket even the states now allowing anonymity publish the store location trying to find the winner. Total anonymity will make it easier for dishonest store owners and clerks defraud some of the players too.

" Total anonymity will make it easier for dishonest store owners to defraud the players" Only if the players are stupid enough to hand a winning ticket over to these degenerates to check to see if they won.Stupidity always starts with oneself. 

To name a few: *Well, l am not a crook.

*I did not have sex with that woman ( No names are required because we aware of their stupidity)

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7310 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2014, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

" Total anonymity will make it easier for dishonest store owners to defraud the players" Only if the players are stupid enough to hand a winning ticket over to these degenerates to check to see if they won.Stupidity always starts with oneself. 

To name a few: *Well, l am not a crook.

*I did not have sex with that woman ( No names are required because we aware of their stupidity)

Sort of off topic, but how can we as players distinguish the degenerate clerks?

Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2014, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Sort of off topic, but how can we as players distinguish the degenerate clerks?

Simple- when the clerk has told you that you have a losing ticket when you know darn well that you checked it and it said " Winner"...... that's how!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2014, 1:11 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

savagegoose once posted that in Australia the playslips have a NP option - No Publicity or something, total anonymity doesn't seem to be hindering their lottery.

/////

I think if I had to appear and look right in the camera I'd pause for a few seconds and then say IT WAS A QUICK PICK.

Green laugh

I think states that don't allow winners to be aynonymous should supply them with Dr. Zaius costumes.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7310 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2014, 4:44 am - IP Logged

Simple- when the clerk has told you that you have a losing ticket when you know darn well that you checked it and it said " Winner"...... that's how!

I asked a clerk to run a Keno play slip and asked to cash a ticket and the clerk ran it several times and the machine always said "not a winner". It was my mistake because I accidentally handed her the wrong ticket. It's should be a red flag when a clerk only checks a ticket once and says it's not a winner, but keeps the ticket..

I've read where lots of LP members like to buy "mistakes" and I've always wondered if they hand their winning tickets to the clerks sold them several of their mistakes.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                        Member #142777
                        May 18, 2013
                        263 Posts
                        Posted: June 1, 2014, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

This subject comes up all the time.  I think most people that say they are afraid of bodily injury are really just shy of the camera.

It's easy for most people to wave at a camera from a distance smiling to say "see me!" but that microphone is a hot potato.  A microphone will make one look ignorant without the skill sets.  If you want a great example of this try tuning into the live call in tv program "CSPAN" early on Sunday mornings for about 30 minutes while you drink your coffee.  This is a channel devoted to political issues where the average joe/jane can call in and give an "opinion".  It will scare you just listening to the bumbling, incoherent, mind numbing, ignorant retoric of the populace at large.  These people are the majority of the callers and their vote counts.  No wonder the country is troubled!

Most of the lottery winners that appear at least have courage ill give them that.  However, most walk away sounding like they could never answer one question correctly on jeopardy or run for dog catcher and win.  I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to appear at a press conference.

As Dirty Harry said: "A man has got to know his limitations!" Big Grin 

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1183 Posts
                          Posted: June 2, 2014, 9:57 am - IP Logged

This subject comes up all the time.  I think most people that say they are afraid of bodily injury are really just shy of the camera.

It's easy for most people to wave at a camera from a distance smiling to say "see me!" but that microphone is a hot potato.  A microphone will make one look ignorant without the skill sets.  If you want a great example of this try tuning into the live call in tv program "CSPAN" early on Sunday mornings for about 30 minutes while you drink your coffee.  This is a channel devoted to political issues where the average joe/jane can call in and give an "opinion".  It will scare you just listening to the bumbling, incoherent, mind numbing, ignorant retoric of the populace at large.  These people are the majority of the callers and their vote counts.  No wonder the country is troubled!

Most of the lottery winners that appear at least have courage ill give them that.  However, most walk away sounding like they could never answer one question correctly on jeopardy or run for dog catcher and win.  I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to appear at a press conference.

As Dirty Harry said: "A man has got to know his limitations!" Big Grin 

No,no and no. Why would you assume that fear of one's life or the safety of family members is just a cover for not wanting to go in front of a camera. Let me dissuade you of that notion. I've been talking in front of large audiences for YEARS. Very rarely does a microphone put me ill at ease, and I am for claiming anonymously. I guarantee that most people who call into CSPAN etc don't know that they sound like an idiot, so fear of sounding stupid isn't it. Plus many states don't require a press conference, they simply want the winner's name and city published. People in those states don't have the fear of public speaking to worry about, and they still want anonymity.

I was reading through archived posts this weekend, and one of the LP members from Australia told the story of how initially the Australian lottery required winners to have their identities publicized. One winner's child was kidnapped on his way from school, held for ransom and later murdered. After his horrendous death, they decided to give winners the option of remaining anonymous. Trust me, fear of bodily harm is a real concern; much more so than not wanting to talk to reporters.

Perhaps an innocent child will have to be murdered here too before the lottery commission takes the safety of winners seriously.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4791 Posts
                            Posted: June 2, 2014, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

No,no and no. Why would you assume that fear of one's life or the safety of family members is just a cover for not wanting to go in front of a camera. Let me dissuade you of that notion. I've been talking in front of large audiences for YEARS. Very rarely does a microphone put me ill at ease, and I am for claiming anonymously. I guarantee that most people who call into CSPAN etc don't know that they sound like an idiot, so fear of sounding stupid isn't it. Plus many states don't require a press conference, they simply want the winner's name and city published. People in those states don't have the fear of public speaking to worry about, and they still want anonymity.

I was reading through archived posts this weekend, and one of the LP members from Australia told the story of how initially the Australian lottery required winners to have their identities publicized. One winner's child was kidnapped on his way from school, held for ransom and later murdered. After his horrendous death, they decided to give winners the option of remaining anonymous. Trust me, fear of bodily harm is a real concern; much more so than not wanting to talk to reporters.

Perhaps an innocent child will have to be murdered here too before the lottery commission takes the safety of winners seriously.

I agree 110% Teddi! I think most of the people who seem "hesitant" to speak probably have been advised by counsel to say as little as possible. I have come across very few adults that have a true fear of public speaking... especially to a small group of people such as would be at a lottery office. If you do well at anything, some people want a piece of it and some will just take it by any means. I have had people whine to me and worse ...why did SHE get a book deal...why not me???!!!....lol. Some even wanted and demanded I get a deal for them! The main key was that 95% did not want to work for it and wanted it handed to them.  I told them slavery is dead. I can only imagine the sense of entitlement with a random big money lottery win.

J'aime La France.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                              Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #149492
                              December 2, 2013
                              919 Posts
                              Posted: June 2, 2014, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Some advisers to large lottery jackpot winners actually do suggest they purchase kidnap & ransom insurance.  The possibility is there.  So, it's not just a case of being camera shy.