Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Purchasing a ticket

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #140884
March 29, 2013
45 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2014, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I always play MM and PB with the extra dollar. I ask for a power play and a megaplier. More than 75% of te time the clerk gets it wrong and gives me the lower cost/ lower payout ticket. This drives me crazy. Why can't they get it right? What am I saying wrong. I hate having to fill in a play sheet for a quick pick. And of course I then end up spending more money by re-purchasing the same numbers that came out but with the multiplier.

And I know it is probably against the rules but many times I have to actually guide the person in what to do. I have even had to get behind the counter and point to the buttons that should be pressed...and yes it is probably against the rules, but the lottery shoud make sure the people who have their machines know what to do. I would never actually touch a lottery machine, though.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19828 Posts
    Posted: June 6, 2014, 12:08 am - IP Logged

I always play MM and PB with the extra dollar. I ask for a power play and a megaplier. More than 75% of te time the clerk gets it wrong and gives me the lower cost/ lower payout ticket. This drives me crazy. Why can't they get it right? What am I saying wrong. I hate having to fill in a play sheet for a quick pick. And of course I then end up spending more money by re-purchasing the same numbers that came out but with the multiplier.

And I know it is probably against the rules but many times I have to actually guide the person in what to do. I have even had to get behind the counter and point to the buttons that should be pressed...and yes it is probably against the rules, but the lottery shoud make sure the people who have their machines know what to do. I would never actually touch a lottery machine, though.

If you always buy a QP then you can use the same play slip every time after making it out once.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
      NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3702 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2014, 5:01 am - IP Logged

Yes, I've had the same problem.

I couldn't find any good way around it other than filling in a bet slip.  I think there really isn't a good way of telling the clerk what you want, so by simply handing them the bet slip it becomes automatic. I don't have to say a word and they cant screw it up.

I think the problem stems from the fact that only 25% of all tickets sold are sold with the PowerPlay or Megaplier.  That means 75% of the time, the clerk is not asked for it.  I'm sure so many others have run into this same problem that everybody who buys the PP or Megaplier uses a bet slip to avoid it. Therefore when someone verbally asks for it, the clerk doesn't know what they're talking about and screws up the ticket.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
        Texas
        United States
        Member #150797
        December 31, 2013
        815 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2014, 8:13 am - IP Logged

I was watching "Lottery Changed my Life" last night and a convenience store owner said that they get 6% on ticket sales (this was Wisconsin, not sure about other states). 

So you would think that a smart lottery retailer would train the clerks to ask "Would you like to add the Power Play/Megaplier?".  Every positive answer would put an extra 6 cents in the owner's bank account, doubling the store's take for MM tickets, 50% extra for PB.

Maybe you should take the store owner aside and teach him basic customer service/economics.

Dance

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2014, 11:47 am - IP Logged

If you always buy a QP then you can use the same play slip every time after making it out once.

Problem with that is you have to carry the dang slip with you.  I never have a pocket or whatever big enough to carry it.

But I have the same problem as the OP.  Just recently I asked for 5 Powerballs, no multiplier.  The guy handed me a ticket with one line, good for the next 5 draws!  WTH!  I refused it and he got me the right ticket.  So then I had to pay attention to the next 5 draws to see if any tickets sold here won big.  LOL  Luckily the biggest one sold was just a 4 + 0, so if that ticket did win it wasn't a huge loss.

BTW I don't think it's against the rules for customers to touch the machine that prints out the tickets.  Here they let you get your own in vending machines.  They might have a problem with you messing with a stack of scratch offs because they're easier to mess with, I would think.

United States
            Member #140884
            March 29, 2013
            45 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2014, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Hah! I live in NYC.  We don't have basic customer service.

Thanks for your thoughts. I know I could use a betting slip but I don't carry them around so if I go into a new place for a ticket, I always have to remember to use a slip. A while back there was a guy who bought a powerball and the clerk told him about the power play option so the guy did the power play and ended up winning with the power play option on that ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19828 Posts
              Posted: June 9, 2014, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I was watching "Lottery Changed my Life" last night and a convenience store owner said that they get 6% on ticket sales (this was Wisconsin, not sure about other states). 

So you would think that a smart lottery retailer would train the clerks to ask "Would you like to add the Power Play/Megaplier?".  Every positive answer would put an extra 6 cents in the owner's bank account, doubling the store's take for MM tickets, 50% extra for PB.

Maybe you should take the store owner aside and teach him basic customer service/economics.

Dance

The stores where I shop the clerks always ask that even though I always make out play slips for exactly for what I want and they know that.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking