Welcome Guest
You last visited August 18, 2017, 7:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should winning scratch offs only be more than the ticket cost?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 3 years ago by DaExpert.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
Member #154519
April 19, 2014
266 Posts
Posted: June 12, 2014, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

I'm getting annoyed of just winning my money back!  If the odds of winning were slightly higher but the prize payout would be worth more than the cost of the ticket?  Would you play more?  Discuss.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: June 12, 2014, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Face value wins don't bother me much.  I just don't care for FREE ticket wins we have in California.  I rather get cash and then make the determination whether to purchase more tickets or just call it a day, especially with the higher denomination games. 

Even if our prizes started more than face value, I wouldn't play more.  It'd be about the same.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1139 Posts
      Posted: June 12, 2014, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I'm getting annoyed of just winning my money back!  If the odds of winning were slightly higher but the prize payout would be worth more than the cost of the ticket?  Would you play more?  Discuss.

Those lower prizes are what the lottery use to increase your "odds of winning." If they raised the starting prizes they would just make the odds worse.

I don't really pay attention to the prizes, but I would never play a ticket with entry prize lower than ticket cost.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10505 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2014, 1:11 am - IP Logged

The lotteries know that they don't have to make the lowest prize more than the cost of the ticket.

Rare is the scratcher player that says, "I broke even."

Players have the same mentality as people playing video poker, $1.25 in the machine in quarters 9or credits0, win five quarters (credits), and "I won! I won!"

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          20109 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2014, 10:51 am - IP Logged

It can't that annoying if you're still buying them.  Lotteries payout what ever they have to sell tickets and in your case they don't have to payout much.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            6466 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2014, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I look at the odds for scratchers and that's enough for me to keep on walking.

I'll play one once in a blue moon.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Los Angeles
              United States
              Member #156178
              June 10, 2014
              34 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2014, 11:28 am - IP Logged

Face value wins don't bother me much.  I just don't care for FREE ticket wins we have in California.  I rather get cash and then make the determination whether to purchase more tickets or just call it a day, especially with the higher denomination games. 

Even if our prizes started more than face value, I wouldn't play more.  It'd be about the same.

i feel the same way mrcraft