Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Euromillions Jackpot

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Teddi.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1186 Posts
Posted: June 12, 2014, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Can an American play the Euromillion by buying tickets online? Is that allowed/legitimate?

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
    Nutley, New Jersey
    United States
    Member #131058
    August 1, 2012
    875 Posts
    Posted: June 12, 2014, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I have bought tickets online in the past. The service I was using even sent me a scanned copy of the tickets I bought. I'm not sure if it is legal or not. The tickets I bought were mostly losers and the few tickets that did win were only $5-10 prizes. I never collected the money because it would be a hassle. I opted instead to use the prize money to get new tickets that ended up losing.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I actually won the jackpot. If the lottery authorities would even honor the ticket or not. Also I was worried the person that bought the ticket for me would go and collect the money for themselves.

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1186 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2014, 12:01 am - IP Logged

I have bought tickets online in the past. The service I was using even sent me a scanned copy of the tickets I bought. I'm not sure if it is legal or not. The tickets I bought were mostly losers and the few tickets that did win were only $5-10 prizes. I never collected the money because it would be a hassle. I opted instead to use the prize money to get new tickets that ended up losing.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I actually won the jackpot. If the lottery authorities would even honor the ticket or not. Also I was worried the person that bought the ticket for me would go and collect the money for themselves.

I was wondering about that too. The Powerball website says that you can't buy Powerball tickets online or through a third party but I don't see anything preventing that on the Euromillions site, so I thought maybe it was ok. But should they keep your winning ticket, what recourse would the buyer have?

London
        United Kingdom
        Member #148675
        November 8, 2013
        54 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2014, 8:16 am - IP Logged

Sorry to disappoint youDisapprove. To play the Euro-millions lottery you'll have to be physically located in one of the nine participating countries and have proof of address if you win. Hope to win today I bought 13 tickets and its Friday the 13th  Shocked

Kee12's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          I rep CA
          Senegal
          Member #144812
          July 17, 2013
          76 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2014, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Sorry to disappoint youDisapprove. To play the Euro-millions lottery you'll have to be physically located in one of the nine participating countries and have proof of address if you win. Hope to win today I bought 13 tickets and its Friday the 13th  Shocked

I found this on their website when I clicked on how to play: Play Euromillions online. If it's not possible to play online, why did they add this? I'm curious.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #149492
            December 2, 2013
            919 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2014, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I found this on their website when I clicked on how to play: Play Euromillions online. If it's not possible to play online, why did they add this? I'm curious.

That's not the official site for EuroMillions.  If you visit the site and click on "Click Here to Play EuroMillions," it'll redirect you to Lotter, a third-party lottery concierge service.

Camelot runs EuroMillions in the UK. 

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/faqs.ftl#int_GetStarted1

In the FAQ, to set up an account you need to be 16 or older and be a resident of UK or Isle of Man.  I'm sure their partner lottery organizations in other countries that also offer EuroMillions have similar residency requirements.  It also states that "If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make will be declared invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances."

The problem with all these online lottery brokers is that no one has won the big jackpot yet, so no one knows for sure how the payout will be handled should that occur.  With smaller prizes no one cares, they claim prizes on your behalf, credit your account and for most people they purchase more tickets for future draws. 

I'd hate to buy tickets, miraculously win the jackpot, and then find out I can't collect my winnings.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
              Nutley, New Jersey
              United States
              Member #131058
              August 1, 2012
              875 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2014, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

Having bought numerous Euromillions tickets, my advice is to stick with Megamillions, Powerball or your state's lottery. Using a lottery ticket butler service was expensive and nothing is better than having your tickets in your possession. I wouldn't trust an unsigned jackpot winning ticket with anyone.

toobright's avatar - binary

Ireland
                Member #156049
                June 7, 2014
                7 Posts
                Posted: June 13, 2014, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Hi all, newbie from Ireland might have a partial answer to "can you play the Euro Millions outside the member countries" I had a look at the Irish lottery website which has recently introduced online purchasing of tickets and a requirement is you must be a legal resident of Ireland... 

The reality is I would trust no one with my €100 Million ticket. 

If you won enough  you could probably find some distant Irish relative who would be more than happy to collect your winningsCheers

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: June 13, 2014, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

These butler services that buy tickets probably wait until their customers outside these countries win to tell them that, mean while they continue to collect their fees hoping it never comes up which odds are it never will. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

boston,ma
                    United States
                    Member #150102
                    December 15, 2013
                    112 Posts
                    Posted: June 13, 2014, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Wow! I didn't know about the part of having to have proof of address requirement. The concierge service i've been using addresses the having to be "physically located" part of the requirement but the having proof of address part is troubling. I'll have to ask them about this.

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1186 Posts
                      Posted: June 13, 2014, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Thank you everyone. Guess I'll be sticking with our U.S. MUSLs. Even if they allowed Americans to play Euromillions, I'm no longer comfortable with these online concierge services. I read today that Euromillions doesn't care who purchases the ticket, they only care who signs it. What would stop the service from signing and claiming a large jackpot? At least Powerball will investigate if there's a discrepancy and withhold payment, doesn't seem as if Euromillions will. That troubles me.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #149492
                        December 2, 2013
                        919 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2014, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Just like our Mega Millions, someone won EuroMillions tonight...

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1186 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2014, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Just like our Mega Millions, someone won EuroMillions tonight...

Now that's freaky. All three of the world's largest lotteries reset in the same week. What are the odds

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.