Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What threads entertain lottery officials the most?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10388 Posts
Posted: June 23, 2014, 1:11 am - IP Logged

LP is no doubt a data mining gold mine for lottery officials that monitor this board.

They can get plenty of information here for marketing. There's been threads about at what ticket price would you stop playing and some people said, "Never". Same for what size matrix would keep you from playing - again, some said, "None! I'd play"

But what threads do you think they find the most entertaining?

I'm thinking maybe something like systems for scratchers or some posts people make thinking the games should be designed more for the players than for the lotteries to make money.

You? Any thoughts?

PS

Hi lottery marketing people!
See Ya!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: June 23, 2014, 7:09 am - IP Logged

I think they are like govt agencies. They dont listen to the people, or care what they have to say for that matter

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2678 Posts
      Posted: June 23, 2014, 8:22 am - IP Logged

I think they are like govt agencies. They dont listen to the people, or care what they have to say for that matter

Skeptical I'm sure they would no doubt find the few and many discussions and various conspiracy threads a bit entertaining

they figure if they R getting enough complaints through media like this , then they must be doing something right

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5738 Posts
        Posted: June 23, 2014, 8:34 am - IP Logged

LP is no doubt a data mining gold mine for lottery officials that monitor this board.

They can get plenty of information here for marketing. There's been threads about at what ticket price would you stop playing and some people said, "Never". Same for what size matrix would keep you from playing - again, some said, "None! I'd play"

I'm thinking maybe something like systems for scratchers or some posts people make thinking the games should be designed more for the players than for the lotteries to make money.

You? Any thoughts?

PS

See Ya!

Well, the new Monopoly Millionaires game that's coming is probably in part to people complaining about one person winning huge jackpots, instead of many people winning a million dollars. So the lottery folks are listening, and reading LP.

Go back to PB's webpage and read the FAQ's. There is a question about why they don't have the game set up for a lot of people winning, and he answers that they tried it and no one played. We'll see how this new one does.

I agree CT, the one's reading LP probably get a lot of giggles from the conspiracy folks, and the wild systems they see.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1654 Posts
          Posted: June 23, 2014, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Well, the new Monopoly Millionaires game that's coming is probably in part to people complaining about one person winning huge jackpots, instead of many people winning a million dollars. So the lottery folks are listening, and reading LP.

Go back to PB's webpage and read the FAQ's. There is a question about why they don't have the game set up for a lot of people winning, and he answers that they tried it and no one played. We'll see how this new one does.

I agree CT, the one's reading LP probably get a lot of giggles from the conspiracy folks, and the wild systems they see.

the wild systems they see.

I agree with you 200% here. Hands down, when these officials flip through the systems pages, I'll bet they're simply stumped and amazed with the lengths people go to just to come up with a series of three-digit combos. Then, there's all the rocket science-based terminologies being used to describe these systems and what they're doing.

You couldn't make me believe, ten years ago, that a 0-9 game would cause this much chaos down the road…I would've lost all my money on that bet. Also, you're correct in that they have no choice but to listen to what players are saying regarding the JP games and not enough winners. See, they can OFFER these games but, the PLAYERS OWN them by participating. No participation and the games (s) have to go…players keep all that money in their pockets.

The players have more power than they know but, the officials know that the greed outweighs everything. Hopefully, this new Monopoly Millionaires game is a sign of better things to come. Everyone can't win the largest jackpot but, everyone can win more and higher tier prizes as a reward for playing, and, making more millionaires in the process. Either way, if you think about it, the money goes right back into the economy and probably playing the lottery more, too. I see win-win. 

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1130 Posts
            Posted: June 23, 2014, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I once read an internal email between public relations officials about a well-intentioned but paranoid player, and the official called the player a "lunatic" to the other official. LOL They find the outlandish ideas of some players ("it's rigged," superstition, ANY system, etc) quite amusing to say the least.

Lotteries know that regardless of price of the bet there will always be someone willing to take the other side. So if the entertainment value of a game is high enough then they will find customers. Marketing people are more concerned with twisting the negative connotations into positive ones. There was a conference back in April where one of the director's entire keynote was about this. "Players know they're going to lose, so we don't need to remind them." "Remind them of the possibilities, not the probabilities" yada yada. As much as I enjoy the lottery, after listening to officials talk about it every which way and scheming up new methods for extracting money as quickly as possible from players, it's really kind of sickening. The pressure to perform with impressive revenue and "winner" stories has really gone to their heads. Sad, but I can understand the motive to protect a $100K-$300K annual salary. Roll Eyes

CT's statement "....some posts people make thinking the games should be designed more for the players than for the lotteries to make money" is spot on. In reality, the lottery doesn't "care" about players. They only care about keeping players just happy enough to keep milking their wallets. If people realized that and started to "talk with their dollars," so as to speak, the lottery might change their ways and start offering games with better chances. I've seen glimmers of hope in places like Massachusetts, where they pay the player better than any other lottery yet their net revenues are strong.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
              Texas
              United States
              Member #86154
              January 30, 2010
              1654 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2014, 11:26 am - IP Logged

I once read an internal email between public relations officials about a well-intentioned but paranoid player, and the official called the player a "lunatic" to the other official. LOL They find the outlandish ideas of some players ("it's rigged," superstition, ANY system, etc) quite amusing to say the least.

Lotteries know that regardless of price of the bet there will always be someone willing to take the other side. So if the entertainment value of a game is high enough then they will find customers. Marketing people are more concerned with twisting the negative connotations into positive ones. There was a conference back in April where one of the director's entire keynote was about this. "Players know they're going to lose, so we don't need to remind them." "Remind them of the possibilities, not the probabilities" yada yada. As much as I enjoy the lottery, after listening to officials talk about it every which way and scheming up new methods for extracting money as quickly as possible from players, it's really kind of sickening. The pressure to perform with impressive revenue and "winner" stories has really gone to their heads. Sad, but I can understand the motive to protect a $100K-$300K annual salary. Roll Eyes

CT's statement "....some posts people make thinking the games should be designed more for the players than for the lotteries to make money" is spot on. In reality, the lottery doesn't "care" about players. They only care about keeping players just happy enough to keep milking their wallets. If people realized that and started to "talk with their dollars," so as to speak, the lottery might change their ways and start offering games with better chances. I've seen glimmers of hope in places like Massachusetts, where they pay the player better than any other lottery yet their net revenues are strong.

"talk with their dollars,"

This is the 'system' by which any and every business is measured…and the lottery commission is no different. They must take money in order to survive and they're doing excessively well in my opinion. One of the biggest issues I'm seeing is that they should also be offering a way for players to submit and purchase their numbers online via spread sheets etc. The scratch-in method at the local store is cool and all but, we're going into 2015 where even vehicles contain more computer/software technology.

Players good with software can organize more numbers more efficiently with more convenience.The market will still be there for the fill-in tickets and the mom & pop stores will still benefit from sales. It's time for the commissions to "Lean Forward", literally, and provide better services for the people keeping them in business. People could possibly purchase tickets from their tablets/laptops/phones while at work if they don't have time to get to the stores. Where the hell are the APPS for all this technology? Am I the only one thinking with some common sense here?

Lottery Commissions, step up and get your $hit together!

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                San Angelo, Texas
                United States
                Member #1097
                January 31, 2003
                1405 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2014, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm one of several thousand players who visit LP regularly.
                In the past ten years, every possible topic regarding lottery play has been brought up and hashed out several times over.
                The various discussions regarding 'odds' probably provide much amusement to folks who are paid good salaries to find ways
                to pick our pockets.
                One thing I think they've learned is that 'odds' don't scare folks.
                Any intelligent person who gambles ought to know that the 'odds' of winning anything is something they can't control.
                It's part of the game, which is always stacked in favor of the State.
                Personally, I've never not played a game because of the odds.
                Instead, I visit the lottery website and learn how many tickets have been printed for a particular scratch ticket I might be
                interested in.
                I would never buy a $2 ticket, for example, if there are 15, 20, 25 million of them in play.
                True, the prizes will eventually be won by folks who just happen to buy a ticket at the right time.
                As for the draw games, everyone knows the odds of not winning, but who cares. 
                The big jackpots require a lot of losers in order to pay the winners.
                Millions of losing scratch tickets have to be sold to make enough profit to pay the winners.
                 It's a challenge, or entertainment that can have a  big payoff if the correct numbers are chosen for a particular drawing.
                We, generic, know that knowing the unknowable in advance is the number one hurdle, but so be it.
                I wish the posters who keep reminding us of the odds of not winning would back off and leave use be.
                We are not stupid. We're having fun.
                To hell with the odds, full steam ahead!
                A final comment is that folks should not spend more than they can afford to lose.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4144 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2014, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

You? Any thoughts?

PS

See Ya!

I think any " suggestions" from players where after handing said suggestions to their mathematicians- they * the lottery come out ahead.Big Smile

After all- they not in the business of losing money, right?

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
                    Member #154519
                    April 19, 2014
                    245 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2014, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Probably the threads where the people think they can guess what numbers will be drawn next

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4144 Posts
                      Posted: June 23, 2014, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I'm one of several thousand players who visit LP regularly.
                      In the past ten years, every possible topic regarding lottery play has been brought up and hashed out several times over.
                      The various discussions regarding 'odds' probably provide much amusement to folks who are paid good salaries to find ways
                      to pick our pockets.
                      One thing I think they've learned is that 'odds' don't scare folks.
                      Any intelligent person who gambles ought to know that the 'odds' of winning anything is something they can't control.
                      It's part of the game, which is always stacked in favor of the State.
                      Personally, I've never not played a game because of the odds.
                      Instead, I visit the lottery website and learn how many tickets have been printed for a particular scratch ticket I might be
                      interested in.
                      I would never buy a $2 ticket, for example, if there are 15, 20, 25 million of them in play.
                      True, the prizes will eventually be won by folks who just happen to buy a ticket at the right time.
                      As for the draw games, everyone knows the odds of not winning, but who cares. 
                      The big jackpots require a lot of losers in order to pay the winners.
                      Millions of losing scratch tickets have to be sold to make enough profit to pay the winners.
                       It's a challenge, or entertainment that can have a  big payoff if the correct numbers are chosen for a particular drawing.
                      We, generic, know that knowing the unknowable in advance is the number one hurdle, but so be it.
                      I wish the posters who keep reminding us of the odds of not winning would back off and leave use be.
                      We are not stupid. We're having fun.
                      To hell with the odds, full steam ahead!
                      A final comment is that folks should not spend more than they can afford to lose.

Love this line Bobby623

" l wish the posters who keep reminding us of the odds" ....statement is Classic! 

In a way its similar to someone telling a smoker " You better quit smoking, it could give you cancer"- you think they don't know it? 

Imagine someone saying to 84 year old Gloria from Florida. ." Why are you playing Old Lady, your best years are behind you?"

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10388 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2014, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

The lottery people are probably really entertained by the threads or posts about a jackpot winner and people post something like, "How come the winner is always in Truth or Consequences, NM?" or something similar.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #135804
                          November 29, 2012
                          331 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2014, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Probably all the threads of people thinking they have a system to beat the lottery and buying tickets frequently (daily). That puts a smile on their face because of all the money they know they're going to make.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19891 Posts
                            Posted: June 26, 2014, 6:44 am - IP Logged

If lottery officials are like most guess and LP members then they will find most threads entertaining and maybe some interesting.  Pretty much every type of lottery player have posted something some where at LP and the prediction board proves no one has an edge when it comes to picking future lottery winners.  The numbers of visits LP get every day shows there is a real interest in information about lotteries and what others are trying to win them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10388 Posts
                              Posted: June 26, 2014, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

RJOh,

That's all true but a lot of it is a given as to why they would be here.

I meant entertaining as in a case of real bad information such as, "There's a lottery place in Missouri where you can buy Illinois and Missouri lottery tickets at the same store. (Someone once told me that in real life - and they believed it).

If you were looking for information on this board to see something like "How much would a game have to change before you stopped playing it?", and stumbled into something like someone saying a store in one state sells tickets for all the games in two states that would be entertaining.

Lep