Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery Should Pay More Than 50% In Prizes To Lottery Players.

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 2 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
12098 Posts
Posted: June 24, 2014, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

THE LOTTERY SHOULD KEEP LESS MONEY.

50% PAYBACK RATE IN PRIZES IS NOT ENOUGH.

"Look, the lottery company operates on a 50% payback rate. In other words, for every $100,000 they collect from ticket sales, they only pay out about $50,000 to winning tickets. At a 50% payback rate, no other standard bet on the planet comes even close to being as bad as buying lottery tickets. The lottery is a TAX on the poor and on the ignorant." By PDQ

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3159 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2014, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

I hope you become lottery President one day so we can all be happy again.

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      12098 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2014, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY BY NOT PLAYING=SAVE YOUR MONEY TO PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY.

"Play less often is the BEST strategy for playing the lottery! That includes playing so "less often" that you never play! THAT is the very best strategy." By PDQ

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7343 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2014, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

THE LOTTERY SHOULD KEEP LESS MONEY.

50% PAYBACK RATE IN PRIZES IS NOT ENOUGH.

"Look, the lottery company operates on a 50% payback rate. In other words, for every $100,000 they collect from ticket sales, they only pay out about $50,000 to winning tickets. At a 50% payback rate, no other standard bet on the planet comes even close to being as bad as buying lottery tickets. The lottery is a TAX on the poor and on the ignorant." By PDQ

Even if there was a 100% prize return, only 3.1% of the PB players will win a share of the prize fund. Any straight pick-3 combo still only has a 0.1% chance of winning regardless of the size of the prize. And you really should check the facts before quoting anyone; to my knowledge there is no state lottery paying out less than 60% of their ticket sales in prizes.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
          upstate NY
          United States
          Member #108791
          March 31, 2011
          549 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

If Thrifty was in charge of the lottery, he'd see to it that you're only allowed to play once a year.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
            upstate NY
            United States
            Member #108791
            March 31, 2011
            549 Posts
            Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Even if there was a 100% prize return, only 3.1% of the PB players will win a share of the prize fund. Any straight pick-3 combo still only has a 0.1% chance of winning regardless of the size of the prize. And you really should check the facts before quoting anyone; to my knowledge there is no state lottery paying out less than 60% of their ticket sales in prizes.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but both MM and PB only pay out 50% of ticket sales.  In New York, all of the draw games except Lotto pay out 50% of sales except Lotto (40%) and the new Cash4Life game in NY and NJ (55%).  I could go through the entire nation and I'll probably find more games paying 50% than 60%.

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              12098 Posts
              Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

If Thrifty was in charge of the lottery, he'd see to it that you're only allowed to play once a year.

Playing the lottery is fun, but paying back 50% in prizes to lottery players is not fair.LOL

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                12098 Posts
                Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but both MM and PB only pay out 50% of ticket sales.  In New York, all of the draw games except Lotto pay out 50% of sales except Lotto (40%) and the new Cash4Life game in NY and NJ (55%).  I could go through the entire nation and I'll probably find more games paying 50% than 60%.

The lottery should be paying back 80% in prizes to lottery players. 20% is enough for the lottery.

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  12098 Posts
                  Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Lottery paying back 50% in prizes is what makes lottery games so hard to win.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                    LAS VEGAS
                    United States
                    Member #47729
                    November 22, 2006
                    4589 Posts
                    Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

The lottery should be paying back 80% in prizes to lottery players. 20% is enough for the lottery.

I Agree!

50% minimum all lotteries

Eddessa_Knight

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      12098 Posts
                      Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

New York lottery is very stingy on the payback rate of its games. It is the reason why Sweet Million failed. 

Cash4Life payback rate of 55% is a joke.

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        12098 Posts
                        Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Lottery players will be very happy with a 70% payback rate on all lottery games. 30% is good for the lottery.

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          12098 Posts
                          Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

50% minimum all lotteries

Eddessa_Knight

50% payback rate is preventing you from winning a lottery jackpot.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7343 Posts
                            Posted: June 24, 2014, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

I can only speak for the yearly lottery financial reports from a few states, but in each of those states, the majority of ticket sales are scratch-offs. Those average payoffs including free tickets are usually over 60%. The online game payoffs are as you said, around 50%, but after subtracting the jackpot winnings from PB, MM, and lotto sales, the rest of the payoffs are probably less than 40%.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2014/04/30/Pennsylvania-Lottery-gains-in-profit-margin-rule-change-instant-games/stories/201404300117

Sales of instant games account for 62.3 percent of total revenues, up from 55.3 percent in 2008 and 24 percent in 1998, according to the Pennsylvania Lottery.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7343 Posts
                              Posted: June 25, 2014, 12:02 am - IP Logged

Lottery players will be very happy with a 70% payback rate on all lottery games. 30% is good for the lottery.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/275158?q=Pennsylvania+Lottery