Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

(Just For fun)- You part of a pool where one of the members decides...

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Tialuvslotto.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4144 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2014, 1:34 am - IP Logged

That instead of contributing the usual $5.00 a person- he throws in $10.00. As luck would have it: you guys hit a $200 million jackpot...

Is he entitled to two bites of the Apple, does he get twice the share as everyone else? Big Smile

*** Have a Great Weekend People.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1360 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2014, 2:32 am - IP Logged

I don't know, but I reckon it would wind up in court if he thought that way and the others in the pool did not. That's why you need a signed and notarized agreement when participating in a lottery pool.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
      Texas
      United States
      Member #150797
      December 31, 2013
      821 Posts
      Posted: June 27, 2014, 6:41 am - IP Logged

That instead of contributing the usual $5.00 a person- he throws in $10.00. As luck would have it: you guys hit a $200 million jackpot...

Is he entitled to two bites of the Apple, does he get twice the share as everyone else? Big Smile

Yup!  Two contributions = 2 shares.  Some people might not be happy with that, though, because their share would be reduced.

Chair

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2014, 7:01 am - IP Logged

Ok That's a good question cause would the lottery even recognize that? I thought they just split it up evenlyunless of course you go sign some paperwork with a lawyer or something. Me I'd of just told him I thought he was putting it toward the next drawing LOL Just keeping it even

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5751 Posts
          Posted: June 27, 2014, 11:10 am - IP Logged

With the folks in my pool, that would never in a million years happen! LOL.

As far as the lottery splitting the money, in Texas they only pay one entity, not several. So we would have to form a legal partnership before claiming if we ever get so lucky.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1203 Posts
            Posted: June 27, 2014, 11:54 am - IP Logged

Lottery pools are a legal minefield. So many variables to consider. My take is that unless that participant made it clear prior to the purchase that he expects twice the amount should they win, and the other participants agreed with that and were given the opportunity to also up their antes, then that person should only get a single share split.

One individual cannot change the terms of an agreement unless there's a meeting of the minds with all parties involved. He gets a regular split like everyone else and a refund of the extra $5.

In any case, the biggest winners will be the lawyers.Boxing

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4144 Posts
              Posted: June 27, 2014, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Lottery pools are a legal minefield. So many variables to consider. My take is that unless that participant made it clear prior to the purchase that he expects twice the amount should they win, and the other participants agreed with that and were given the opportunity to also up their antes, then that person should only get a single share split.

One individual cannot change the terms of an agreement unless there's a meeting of the minds with all parties involved. He gets a regular split like everyone else and a refund of the extra $5.

" and a refund of the extra $5"

Now that's a precious line Teddi. ..lol.

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1203 Posts
                Posted: June 27, 2014, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

" and a refund of the extra $5"

Now that's a precious line Teddi. ..lol.

LOL. I thought so too.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #129225
                  June 13, 2012
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: June 27, 2014, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

But, what if theoretically the winning ticket was in the last group of five of the tickets purchased.  Then they would not have won without his extra $5.  Therefore, he should be entitled to an extra piece of the pie.

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1203 Posts
                    Posted: June 27, 2014, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

But, what if theoretically the winning ticket was in the last group of five of the tickets purchased.  Then they would not have won without his extra $5.  Therefore, he should be entitled to an extra piece of the pie.

Doesn't matter. One person in a group can't arbitrarily change the agreed upon stipulations unless all other members are apprised of the change and agree with it. No meeting of the minds with all members, no extra. Where it would get tricky is if there were no guidelines set. If all they did was decide to have a lottery pool without specifying that everyone in the pool would split the winnings equally among members, no matter what, then this double share giver would have a case he could argue. 

If you were in a pool that won a jackpot, would you just give in to an agreement change that you had no knowledge of and didn't agree to?

Frankly, if the person in charge of collecting the funds took the extra money without making the limits clear, then the extra share can come out of his slice.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: June 27, 2014, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

As long as it was agreed upon that he would contribute more and get an extra share should the pool tickets win BEFORE the drawing then this is a non issue. He would be entitled to an extra share in proportion to his contribution. But I know there are odd people who always seek to make life as hard as possible for as long as possible to as many people as possible.

That money's gone fo ever

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #129225
                        June 13, 2012
                        546 Posts
                        Posted: June 27, 2014, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Doesn't matter. One person in a group can't arbitrarily change the agreed upon stipulations unless all other members are apprised of the change and agree with it. No meeting of the minds with all members, no extra. Where it would get tricky is if there were no guidelines set. If all they did was decide to have a lottery pool without specifying that everyone in the pool would split the winnings equally among members, no matter what, then this double share giver would have a case he could argue. 

If you were in a pool that won a jackpot, would you just give in to an agreement change that you had no knowledge of and didn't agree to?

Frankly, if the person in charge of collecting the funds took the extra money without making the limits clear, then the extra share can come out of his slice.

I agree with that!  But, I think it matters what type of pool it was and if there were agreements in place.  If it was set that everyone got one share then that is what he/she should receive.  They all should buy him a beer when they go out and celebrate!  LOL!

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3502 Posts
                          Posted: June 27, 2014, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

"One individual cannot change the terms of an agreement unless there's a meeting of the minds with all parties involved."

The reason lottery pools are such a problem is that most don't spell out the  terms of the agreement. If the pool administrator or his designated ticket buyer buys extra tickets using the extra contribution they've implicitly agreed to the new terms. There's a chance they could win a lawsuit, but there's a chance it would cost them as much to win it as it would to just pay the extra share. There's probably a far better chance that they'll just waste a bunch of money on legal fees before paying up.

There's a slim chance other members of the pool would have a case against the administrator, but absent a written contract it's going to be hard to argue that the administrator can't add another share to the pool. If the pool isn't a fixed group of the same people for every drawing then the group probably doesn't have even a faint chance of winning, since there's no practical difference between adding another player and having one player add an extra share.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #86154
                            January 30, 2010
                            1654 Posts
                            Posted: June 27, 2014, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't know, but I reckon it would wind up in court if he thought that way and the others in the pool did not. That's why you need a signed and notarized agreement when participating in a lottery pool.

Best answer in the house right there. Specifics like this should be included in the agreement to prevent such issues. In the end, though, here's the holy grail of truth: even if he did purchase $10 in tickets while everyone else only did $5 and still only (1) line won, then it makes no difference about the others.

Only if he hit twice on two lines within that $10 purchase, as the holder, would I consider him for a much larger portion because it's likely that the other line wouldn't have hit with only $5. Now , EVERYBODY get's more. As it stands, one line hit which shouldn't change a thing.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1203 Posts
                              Posted: June 27, 2014, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I agree with that!  But, I think it matters what type of pool it was and if there were agreements in place.  If it was set that everyone got one share then that is what he/she should receive.  They all should buy him a beer when they go out and celebrate!  LOL!

absolutely! More specifics are definitely needed here. Seems to me that if you don't approach these lottery pools like a business partnership you're destined to end up in court...as many of them do. Everything has to be clear cut and put in writing. 

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.