Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Designated Machine vs Alternate Machine

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 3 years ago by bobby623.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Krypton
United States
Member #140102
March 11, 2013
904 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2014, 1:04 am - IP Logged

Can someone explain how the lottery works as far as which machine they use?  I am trying to figure out if they always use the Designated Machine and Alternate in case the Designated does not work or do they use either?  The ball sets the same way?

bobby623's avatar - abstract
    San Angelo, Texas
    United States
    Member #1097
    January 31, 2003
    1405 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2014, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Can someone explain how the lottery works as far as which machine they use?  I am trying to figure out if they always use the Designated Machine and Alternate in case the Designated does not work or do they use either?  The ball sets the same way?

I think this is the way in works in Texas.
    The Drawing team uses a random method to identify the Primary machine and Ball set to be used for the  next drawing, as well as an Alternative Machine and Ball set.
    I believe they have at least 3 machines and a dozen ball sets.
    If you visit www.txlottery.org, drawing procedures, you can learn the exact number of items available.
    You might have to analyze the data and figure it out yourself, as I've done in the past.
    The Drawing team conducts pre-test drawings to determine if the equipment is operating properly.
    There are 4 pre-tests for Pick 3/Daily 4.
    The way I understand it, if there is a lot of basis, ie. one or more digits showing up more often than expected during the tests, or there is some sort of malfunction, they switch to the Alternate set-up and repeat the pre-tests.
    Of course, some players believe the pre-tests are used to give the lottery an advantage.
    It's standard procedure for all lotteries.
    The machines and ball sets for a particular drawing are posted.
    I've checked the drawing history and its rare for a Primary machine/ball set to be rejected for Daily game drawings.
    What happens if both the Primary and Alternate machines/ball sets are deemed unsatisfactory?
    Who knows!
    It's never happened, as far as I can tell by looking at the history.
    I guess we would learn their choices after a drawing is concluded and the data posted.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7344 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2014, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Each state with live ball drawings has minor differences, but all of them test the machines to make sure they are working properly before the drawing. Some state lotteries like Texas go through an elaborate testing process that includes the ball sets and recording the results while others just check the "on/off" switch.

Each state has a procedure when there is a glitch which could include using an alternate machine, but that wouldn't be shown as part of the live drawing. The machines could be checked by using blank balls and if the balls all weigh the same, there should be no bias.

grwurston's avatar - 144
        Let's Go Rangers!!!
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        5125 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2014, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I think this is the way in works in Texas.
        The Drawing team uses a random method to identify the Primary machine and Ball set to be used for the  next drawing, as well as an Alternative Machine and Ball set.
        I believe they have at least 3 machines and a dozen ball sets.
        If you visit www.txlottery.org, drawing procedures, you can learn the exact number of items available.
        You might have to analyze the data and figure it out yourself, as I've done in the past.
        The Drawing team conducts pre-test drawings to determine if the equipment is operating properly.
        There are 4 pre-tests for Pick 3/Daily 4.
        The way I understand it, if there is a lot of basis, ie. one or more digits showing up more often than expected during the tests, or there is some sort of malfunction, they switch to the Alternate set-up and repeat the pre-tests.
        Of course, some players believe the pre-tests are used to give the lottery an advantage.
        It's standard procedure for all lotteries.
        The machines and ball sets for a particular drawing are posted.
        I've checked the drawing history and its rare for a Primary machine/ball set to be rejected for Daily game drawings.
        What happens if both the Primary and Alternate machines/ball sets are deemed unsatisfactory?
        Who knows!
        It's never happened, as far as I can tell by looking at the history.
        I guess we would learn their choices after a drawing is concluded and the data posted.

The one thing that always irks me with pretests is like you said, if a number shows up more than expected they think it's a "problem" and change the ballset. But when a number shows up more than expected during the live drawings, they will tell you "it's just random". So why wasn't it "just random" during the pretest? Why is it only a problem then? By pulling a ballset because a number hit more often, aren't they purposely trying to end a numbers hot streak? 

They can say it's for security reasons, but if anyone has ever watched the drawing procedures it's impossible for anyone to tamper with the machines or balls when it takes two people to unlock the room at the same time.

If they want the games to be totally random, they should do away with the pretests completely and let the numbers come as they will.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1744 Posts
          Posted: July 16, 2014, 8:27 am - IP Logged

The South Carolina Education Lottery has a video on its official website describing what goes on backstage with the number machines and the ball selection process, before each drawing.

grwurston's avatar - 144
            Let's Go Rangers!!!
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            5125 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2014, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

The South Carolina Education Lottery has a video on its official website describing what goes on backstage with the number machines and the ball selection process, before each drawing.

Three, maybe four years ago, Maryland had a video also showing the entire process. It showed how they did every thing from unlocking the room they kept the machines and balls in, through the drawing, and locking everything back up afterwards. After seeing how tight the security is the chances of anyone messing with anything is, as someone here recently said, "The same as being struck by lightening while being eaten by a shark". LOL. 

Which leads back to the question, why do they need so  many pretests? If security is certainly not the issue or reason, then what is?... The machine may malfunction, Green laugh My alarm clock may work fine every day for 25 years, then one day it doesn't work... Oops. I could have it go off every twenty minutes for 25 years, that still doesn't guarantee it will go off tomorrow when I need to wake up. (Though I wouldn't get much sleep).  So what's the point of pretests except to hurt the players?

(The lottery video was on cable on one of the in demand channels at the time... I kind of stumbled across it).

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1131 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2014, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Three, maybe four years ago, Maryland had a video also showing the entire process. It showed how they did every thing from unlocking the room they kept the machines and balls in, through the drawing, and locking everything back up afterwards. After seeing how tight the security is the chances of anyone messing with anything is, as someone here recently said, "The same as being struck by lightening while being eaten by a shark". LOL. 

Which leads back to the question, why do they need so  many pretests? If security is certainly not the issue or reason, then what is?... The machine may malfunction, Green laugh My alarm clock may work fine every day for 25 years, then one day it doesn't work... Oops. I could have it go off every twenty minutes for 25 years, that still doesn't guarantee it will go off tomorrow when I need to wake up. (Though I wouldn't get much sleep).  So what's the point of pretests except to hurt the players?

(The lottery video was on cable on one of the in demand channels at the time... I kind of stumbled across it).

Balls and machines wear out just like anything else. that's why they need pretests. can you imagine the uproar over a malfunction during the real drawing. they do multiple because can't trust one draw to prove it is not messed up.

How do pretests hurt players? it's not like the numbers that show up in a test can't show up in the drawing too

I don't really care how many tests they run because only luck determines if I win Thumbs Up

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

grwurston's avatar - 144
                Let's Go Rangers!!!
                bel air maryland
                United States
                Member #90251
                April 24, 2010
                5125 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2014, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Balls and machines wear out just like anything else. that's why they need pretests. can you imagine the uproar over a malfunction during the real drawing. they do multiple because can't trust one draw to prove it is not messed up.

How do pretests hurt players? it's not like the numbers that show up in a test can't show up in the drawing too

I don't really care how many tests they run because only luck determines if I win Thumbs Up

Machines have malfunctioned during live drawings. If they do 4 pretests, why not 24? Or 50? If they can't trust the machines there's no telling when or if it may malfunction.

How do pretests hurt players? Let me ask you this. If you saw a number hit twice in a row, would you play it a third time?    Would you think to yourself this numbers on a roll, I'm going to keep it in? If it hit the 3rd time would you keep playing it? Would you go for the 4th time? Would that numbers hot streak help you win by cutting down the amount of numbers you play? Of course it could. If it hit the 4th time what would you do? Would you say let it roll, or would say "no way it hits again"? 

Now suppose that happened during the pretests. You never would have known about it. Why? Because the lottery officials may have decided 3 or 4 times in a row is unusual, it's more than we expected. Let's do a 5th or 6th pretest, hopefully it will end the streak. Or, let's change the ballsets for the official drawing... Either way...End of hot streak... No wins for you!!!

Now if you had been playing that number thinking it's due, or about to get hot, you're screwed. They just made sure it's not going to hit. Officially of course.

Luck is not the only factor involved in winning. There is some skill also. Study your game. Observe. Put the odds in YOUR favor.

Krypton
                  United States
                  Member #140102
                  March 11, 2013
                  904 Posts
                  Posted: July 17, 2014, 12:22 am - IP Logged

It looks like to me Texas only uses 2 different ball sets and the same machine each month and they skip a month but only 2 machines unless I am missing something

San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1405 Posts
                    Posted: July 17, 2014, 10:57 am - IP Logged

It looks like to me Texas only uses 2 different ball sets and the same machine each month and they skip a month but only 2 machines unless I am missing something

You are missing a lot!
                    I don't know the purpose for your question, but you are wrong.
                    I did a cursory check for Pick 3, all 4 drawings and discovered that 2 of 3 machines are used regularly, but
                    there is a great variety in Ball sets.
                    Suggest you visit the website and check out the Pre-test drawings data.
                    You will also discover that a switch to the Alternate machine and ball set hasn't occurred in a long, long, long, long time?
                    Why post a question you can find answers to by doing a little research??
                    The only drawing that counts is the last one.

Krypton
                      United States
                      Member #140102
                      March 11, 2013
                      904 Posts
                      Posted: July 17, 2014, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

You are missing a lot!
                      I did a cursory check for Pick 3, all 4 drawings and discovered that 2 of 3 machines are used regularly, but
                      You will also discover that a switch to the Alternate machine and ball set hasn't occurred in a long, long, long, long time?

I have done quite a bit research and I am talking about jackpot games not pick 3/4

Krypton
                        United States
                        Member #140102
                        March 11, 2013
                        904 Posts
                        Posted: July 17, 2014, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

You are missing a lot!

Here is the Texas Lotto

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/lottery/Games/Lotto_Texas/Pre-test_Results.html_894660672.html

The purpose of my question was to make sure I was understanding their web site correctly.  The other purpose is to continue to win $$$ as I have done for the past 2 years.

What is a cursory check?

San Angelo, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #1097
                          January 31, 2003
                          1405 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2014, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

cursory = rapid, limited review of data. EG The initial webpage.

Texas has used two machines and three ball sets for Texas Lotto for years.
                          New ball sets are introduced from time to time.
                          A lady in Richardson monitors the ball situation for all the games and posts any changes on her website.

I made a cursory check of 4 Texas lotto winning combination quarters and learned, as you can if you do a search, that the last time
                          they used the alternate machine was 11/16/2013.

The only thing unusual is that they don't have a Ball Set 13!!

But, what does it matter?
                          Do you think you would have won a game you lost if they had used a different ball set??
                          Do you track 6 pre-tests? Why?

I'm not trying to be difficult.
                          Texas posts a lot of information. An answer can be found for just about any question one has.
                          All you have to do is search for it.

Glad you are having good results with Texas Lotto.
                          A shame that the game went 37 drawings before the jackpot was recently hit.
                          Seems like we are going to have another long run.

Topic closed.