Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you beg from a lottery winner?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 2 years ago by ESR54.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
Member #52345
May 21, 2007
2657 Posts
Posted: July 20, 2014, 10:11 am - IP Logged

if you have to ask on what to spend money on...then you ain't been paying attention

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1262 Posts
    Posted: July 20, 2014, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Wow!  Answer is a resounding "NO" from the fine, upstanding folks at lottery post. 

Here's another twist... IF you were the lottery winner and you received a begging letter, how would you react?

Personally, I don't even think that I would read them, 'cause you can't help everybody, so why bring yourself down by reading a bunch of sob stories every day.

Several months ago, someone made an excellent post on what to do with begging letters.  All I remember was that it was clever, well-written and contained good advice and I wish I could remember the thread title.  I'm with you, though, I doubt I'd finish reading them when I saw what they wanted.   I'm sure there could be *some* legitimate pleas for help, but I am enough of a cynic to think the majority of them would be scams.   I believe a person who wins the lottery could look around their home town or neighborhood and find people who really could use some help.  I've got some family members who could use a helping hand, mostly younger kinfolk who could use some assistance with college (not taxable) or others with medical costs. (also not taxable)  I'd love to be able to help out my ex-wife and an old school friend, both of whom are having some health issues.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
      SW Florida
      United States
      Member #145673
      August 11, 2013
      152 Posts
      Posted: July 20, 2014, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Around here, begging letters would get tossed in the bin without even looking at them.  I just don't understand the attitude that lottery winners are almost expected to give money to anyone who asks or they're considered greedy and mean.  You win, it's your money to do with as you please - keep it all for yourself, share some, or give it all away.  Your business, nobody else's.  The letters would likely be 99% scams - how would you pick out the legit ones?  And what a boring task that would be!  Maybe read 5 or 6 to see how creative or outrageous people get, for a laugh, but otherwise a waste of time.

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: July 20, 2014, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

I'd give them a couple dollars and beg them to buy tickets for me! LOL

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: July 20, 2014, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

I've received beg letters from strangers and I haven't even won the lottery. I can't imagine the undulation if I did.

I think it's bad taste. Some people are just desperate but if they put as much effort into their situation as they did writing the letter things might turn up.

So no. I would never beg from a lottery winner or even an average joe for that matter.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
            USA
            United States
            Member #152799
            February 25, 2014
            1090 Posts
            Posted: July 20, 2014, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

NO. No one is entitled to a dime of another person's lottery win or any windfall. That sort of a "give me" attitude from people (and I am referring to ones they are not down on their luck and often have good jobs but just want something for nothing) annoys me. If you gave those people $, they would waste it and come to you for more money.

I agree! so many folks out there feel they were dealt a bad situation/life and justify an entitlement attitude because it was through no fault of their own.

The old saying of teaching someone how to fish instead of giving them a handout goes a long way.

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2014, 7:04 am - IP Logged

You know it make me remember something Dave Edwards said, he was talking about receiving alot of mail from people asking for money and he   said the post office was delivering it to him with no return address or name on it the letters usually just said powerball winner. He said the post man said we'll we give it to you because we know who you are, my thing is 1st he wasnt the only lottery winner in the state and also I thought the post office wasnt supposed to deliver mail anymore that doesnt have a name or return address on it. Cause you gotta believe alot of these beggars are too lazy to try and find your actual name much less your address

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40299 Posts
                Posted: July 21, 2014, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

no

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #150797
                  December 31, 2013
                  815 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2014, 8:07 am - IP Logged

"Cause you gotta belive alot of these beggars are too lazy to try and find your actual name much less your address"

Green laugh

You got it, Shelby.  Actually, if it has your actual name and address (or at least town), then I would guess it probably comes from an organized gang of scammers who routinely target all new lottery winners to see what they can get.  Only costs a stamp.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:06 am - IP Logged

yes, I would beg from a lottery winner. I would beg them to collect the prize money as anonymous as possible LOL

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                      Augusta, Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #127854
                      May 10, 2012
                      81 Posts
                      Posted: July 23, 2014, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Been watching some "Lottery Changed my Life" shows lately, and one common theme that runs through all the shows is how the winners have been inundated by requests for money.  One guy even showed a big brown paper grocery bag full (and I mean FULL!) of begging letters.

So, would you beg from a lottery winner?

If they lived in your town would you track them down and ask them in person?  Or leave a note on their car or at their house?

Would you go to the trouble to find an address for lottery winners, so that you could mail them a letter with some sort of hard luck story and a request for money?

Just curious...

No, I would not do that. When I won, I was FLOODED with texts, phone calls, messages on Facebook, etc., and I didn't even win "millions"! As a matter of fact, many people knew I had won before I did because it was announced on TV and I was at work. When I got off work and got in my car my phone was flooded with voice mails with one of them being my cousin saying "I'm glad you won because I need so-and-so"!!!! REALLY???

I think if I won millions of dollars my downfall would be my constant desire to help people, and giving money away. I do it now and I'm not even rich LOL.

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

Texas
                        United States
                        Member #150797
                        December 31, 2013
                        815 Posts
                        Posted: July 23, 2014, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

When I won, I was FLOODED with texts, phone calls, messages on Facebook, etc., and I didn't even win "millions"!

Wow, Tinker!  What an experience!

Sounds like many people have no problem with begging -- although they probably wouldn't use that word.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                          SW Florida
                          United States
                          Member #145673
                          August 11, 2013
                          152 Posts
                          Posted: July 23, 2014, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

No, I would not do that. When I won, I was FLOODED with texts, phone calls, messages on Facebook, etc., and I didn't even win "millions"! As a matter of fact, many people knew I had won before I did because it was announced on TV and I was at work. When I got off work and got in my car my phone was flooded with voice mails with one of them being my cousin saying "I'm glad you won because I need so-and-so"!!!! REALLY???

I think if I won millions of dollars my downfall would be my constant desire to help people, and giving money away. I do it now and I'm not even rich LOL.

You won "only" $20,000 (congrats btw!) and you got flooded with requests?!  Either people are stupid or just ... well, stupid.  That's really not that much to be giving much, if any, away.  Yeah sure, I want to fritter it all away and be left with $20 Confused.  Although you'd probably get some demanding that last $20 too.  Just coz you're a lottery winner.  Which in many people's tiny little minds seems to mean you don't deserve to keep it or do with it what you wish and have to give it away to anyone who asks, just because.

Goes to show how bad it can get for people who win multi-millions.  Like scary bad - 'afraid for your safety' bad.

Texas
                            United States
                            Member #150797
                            December 31, 2013
                            815 Posts
                            Posted: July 24, 2014, 7:24 am - IP Logged

You won "only" $20,000 (congrats btw!) and you got flooded with requests?!  Either people are stupid or just ... well, stupid.  That's really not that much to be giving much, if any, away.  Yeah sure, I want to fritter it all away and be left with $20 Confused.  Although you'd probably get some demanding that last $20 too.  Just coz you're a lottery winner.  Which in many people's tiny little minds seems to mean you don't deserve to keep it or do with it what you wish and have to give it away to anyone who asks, just because.

Goes to show how bad it can get for people who win multi-millions.  Like scary bad - 'afraid for your safety' bad.

Excellent post, Pita!

Yeah, funny you don't get anyone saying "Well, if you share the win with me I'll give you some money to help cover all those losing tickets you spent your money on over the years".

Course all these beggars live in the World of Me, where its all about ME, MY NEEDS, MY WANTS, 24/27.

~Robert A. Heinlein

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                              Cordova,Al.
                              United States
                              Member #104482
                              January 15, 2011
                              4867 Posts
                              Posted: July 24, 2014, 10:37 am - IP Logged

No, the first time I win some money years ago everybody feel like they were entitled to some of it, including distance family members, co- workers, friends, total strangers, people I had not see in decades. It was a scratch off game. I learned my lesson on the first win. So when I hit again two more times, I buy land and leave town. I just take the check to the next town.