Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

anyone know the practical utility of the binomial distribution or other distribution in the lottery?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Prometheus1.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coral Springs
United States
Member #153341
March 13, 2014
19 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2014, 9:53 am - IP Logged

anyone know the practical utility of the binomial distribution or other distribution in the lottery?

anyone know the practical utility of the binomial distribution or other distribution in the prediction numbers lottery?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5592 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2014, 10:13 am - IP Logged

anyone know the practical utility of the binomial distribution or other distribution in the prediction numbers lottery?

Dang!

That is way over my head.

Care to elaborate on this?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
      Member #152758
      February 24, 2014
      327 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2014, 11:04 am - IP Logged

there is  a  bio metrical inclusion of  micro behavior in  the  incision of sub   tractical illusion.so  there fore  its  only  theory

patricknelson12's avatar - dude
        miami, fl
        United States
        Member #155028
        May 6, 2014
        234 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2014, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Binomial Distribution is base on Probability. It's nothing but random variables.

A binomial random variable X is defined to the number of “successes” in n independent trials where
        the P(“success”) = p is constant.

In other words, if you throw a coin up in the air, the probability of heads facing up is 50% and the other 50%.

One of these days...I will learn to play box 

CTNY's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          New Haven, CT - Queens, NY
          United States
          Member #98740
          October 13, 2010
          5432 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2014, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Binomial Distribution is base on Probability. It's nothing but random variables.

A binomial random variable X is defined to the number of “successes” in n independent trials where
          the P(“success”) = p is constant.

In other words, if you throw a coin up in the air, the probability of heads facing up is 50% and the other 50%.

hmmmm...inter....esting!!

Since you put it in layman terms...I'm all for "Binominominal" Distribution then.Thumbs UpJester

The goal is to approach the Pick 3 & Pick 4 game sensibly and systematically!! Wink

I'm not like the guy who predicted the end of the world and nothing happened.

United States
            Member #152758
            February 24, 2014
            327 Posts
            Posted: July 21, 2014, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

your  a  genius???

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1129 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2014, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Yes, it is useful for debunking common lottery myths and systems.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Coral Springs
                United States
                Member #153341
                March 13, 2014
                19 Posts
                Posted: July 21, 2014, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

There are many offers on software that use binomial distribution  and other distribution statistics. But I found nothing that could help me to predict the lottery numbers.

patricknelson12's avatar - dude
                  miami, fl
                  United States
                  Member #155028
                  May 6, 2014
                  234 Posts
                  Posted: July 21, 2014, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

There are many offers on software that use binomial distribution  and other distribution statistics. But I found nothing that could help me to predict the lottery numbers.

Some of the members here on LP think that they can predict the lottery. They post 100 numbers for each game and when one finally hit, they become self proclaimed experts.

One of these days...I will learn to play box 

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #150797
                    December 31, 2013
                    815 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2014, 7:36 am - IP Logged

First, you probably should have asked this question over on the Math board.

Personally, I view the distribution as one of the most important pieces of information we have in playing lotto.

Just as an example, lets look at Pick 3 Doubles.  We know they come along about every 4 draws, but that single average statistic is not that useful when a double hits immediately after another double, or doubles go missing for a week or more.

The distribution of the skip of doubles looks like this:

27%19%13%15%9%5%2%1%1%2%1%1%1%0%0%1%

The blue row at top gives the skip count (0=the hit of doubles, 1=1 game skipped since a double, etc). 

So we can see from the above that the single most likely time for a double to hit is after it skips zero games, in other words, doubles are most likely to hit immediately after another double, with 27% of hits coming in those circumstances.   So, if you haven't had back-to-back doubles for a while, you might want to play them.

You can also see that just under 50 percent of hits come immediately after another double, or one game after another double.  75% of your doubles will come by skip 3, and 95% of streaks will finish by skip 9 or sooner.  In my data base, no double skipped more that 14 games before hitting again -- but that doesn't mean it can't happen, just hasn't so far in my data. 

So this information helps you answer the question "What are the odds?"  If you are looking at your game stats and you see that your last double hit one game ago this distribution tells you that the odds are about 50-50 for another (47-53, actually).  If you haven't had a double for 6 games the odds are 90-10 in favor of a double hit.

Anyway, hope this is helpful.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                      ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                      United States
                      Member #4924
                      June 3, 2004
                      5894 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2014, 8:26 am - IP Logged

Personally, I view the distribution as one of the most important pieces of information we have in playing lotto.

Just as an example, lets look at Pick 3 Doubles.  We know they come along about every 4 draws, but that single average statistic is not that useful when a double hits immediately after another double, or doubles go missing for a week or more.

The blue row at top gives the skip count (0=the hit of doubles, 1=1 game skipped since a double, etc). 

So we can see from the above that the single most likely time for a double to hit is after it skips zero games, in other words, doubles are most likely to hit immediately after another double, with 27% of hits coming in those circumstances.   So, if you haven't had back-to-back doubles for a while, you might want to play them.

You can also see that just under 50 percent of hits come immediately after another double, or one game after another double.  75% of your doubles will come by skip 3, and 95% of streaks will finish by skip 9 or sooner.  In my data base, no double skipped more that 14 games before hitting again -- but that doesn't mean it can't happen, just hasn't so far in my data. 

So this information helps you answer the question "What are the odds?"  If you are looking at your game stats and you see that your last double hit one game ago this distribution tells you that the odds are about 50-50 for another (47-53, actually).  If you haven't had a double for 6 games the odds are 90-10 in favor of a double hit.

These are the type of facts we need, thank you!!! Please, give an example for singles.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5592 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2014, 8:42 am - IP Logged

That's good info Tia.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #150797
                          December 31, 2013
                          815 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2014, 9:03 am - IP Logged

These are the type of facts we need, thank you!!! Please, give an example for singles.

Thanks, Carbob!

Not quite sure what you mean by "singles"?  This isn't a very interesting distribution since they hit all the time, only skipping one or two draws once in a while.

However, I will include a handy "do it yourself kit" for figuring out where in the distribution a value lies.

First, set up a table in excel to record your statistic (repeats, doubles, etc., what ever you want).  You want to set up an IF statement which assigns a value of "0" to a hit and adds one to every non-hit value, until the next hit.  So you will end up with a column of numbers like this"

Say we put this data in column A, rows 5 through 100.  Then, copy and paste the current value (0 in my example, since I put newest at the bottom) into column A2

Then, at the top of the column in cell A1 enter this formula:  =1-COUNTIF(A5:A100,">" & A2)/COUNTIF(A5:A100)  -- note that there is a space both before and after the &.

This formula will calculate the inverse of the percentile for the distribution in cells A5:100, in other words it tells you in what percentile of the distribution your value falls.

For example, I have this setup to alert me to when one of WIN D's 120 Quadrants is coming due:

85%31%76%43%
                          120 Quadrants
                          ABCD

So the top row is the current skip, and the row below gives the point in the distribution which each quadrant is currently occupying.  You can see, that Quadrant A is longest out at skip 8, which puts it in the 85th percentile of its distribution.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #4924
                            June 3, 2004
                            5894 Posts
                            Posted: July 23, 2014, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Carbob!

Not quite sure what you mean by "singles"?  This isn't a very interesting distribution since they hit all the time, only skipping one or two draws once in a while.

However, I will include a handy "do it yourself kit" for figuring out where in the distribution a value lies.

First, set up a table in excel to record your statistic (repeats, doubles, etc., what ever you want).  You want to set up an IF statement which assigns a value of "0" to a hit and adds one to every non-hit value, until the next hit.  So you will end up with a column of numbers like this"

Say we put this data in column A, rows 5 through 100.  Then, copy and paste the current value (0 in my example, since I put newest at the bottom) into column A2

Then, at the top of the column in cell A1 enter this formula:  =1-COUNTIF(A5:A100,">" & A2)/COUNTIF(A5:A100)  -- note that there is a space both before and after the &.

This formula will calculate the inverse of the percentile for the distribution in cells A5:100, in other words it tells you in what percentile of the distribution your value falls.

For example, I have this setup to alert me to when one of WIN D's 120 Quadrants is coming due:

85%31%76%43%
                            120 Quadrants
                            ABCD

So the top row is the current skip, and the row below gives the point in the distribution which each quadrant is currently occupying.  You can see, that Quadrant A is longest out at skip 8, which puts it in the 85th percentile of its distribution.

Thank you.

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
                              New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #86099
                              January 29, 2010
                              11117 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2014, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Updates?

How about them cowboys!

US Flag