Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does joining a lottery pool " increase" your chances of winning the top prize?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Tialuvslotto.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2014, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I think not.. here is why, l  have read of folks who have been in lottery pools for ages who have not won anything substantial-when was the last time you saw a bunch of them standing on the podium, telling the press what they plan to do with their newfound wealth? It would seem going solo is it: At least if you losing by buying more tickets all by your lonesome, you don't have to put up with the complaints from the others in the pool.

* Continue to have a Great week People..

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2014, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

More tickets = more chances

If you would otherwise play just 1 ticket, but the pool plays even 2, then yes it increases your chances. It's kinda like investing in a fund with other investors....you might make more on your own but you also take all the risk. A group can spread it around

The fact there are few pools who win should tell you just how awful the odds are either way you play.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2014, 12:49 am - IP Logged

While more tickets equals more chances is true, depending on the size of the pool a jackpot will be split more ways.

Also, there's been plenty of threads in News about a pool hitting a jackpot and not getting paid for a long time afterwards because of legal hassles such as someone claiming they should have been included and weren't.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2014, 1:04 am - IP Logged

While more tickets equals more chances is true, depending on the size of the pool a jackpot will be split more ways.

Also, there's been plenty of threads in News about a pool hitting a jackpot and not getting paid for a long time afterwards because of legal hassles such as someone claiming they should have been included and weren't.

Coin Toss- l base my post on the fact that if you looked at the most recent  winners, almost all have been solo winners, the last pool winners l can think of we're those from back East * NJ l think, you recall the self appointed " spokesman" who looked like a close cousin of the Duck Dynasty.

Pedro needed no lottery pool, neither did  Gloria and they did pretty well by all accounts.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10353 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2014, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Agreed, solo is the way to go.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2014, 1:10 am - IP Logged

More tickets = more chances

If you would otherwise play just 1 ticket, but the pool plays even 2, then yes it increases your chances. It's kinda like investing in a fund with other investors....you might make more on your own but you also take all the risk. A group can spread it around

The fact there are few pools who win should tell you just how awful the odds are either way you play.

When you mentioned " Investing in a fund with other investors"- l immediately thought of Bernie Madoff.

Point taken nonetheless.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3157 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2014, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Our pool is hopeless. We even had everyone bring in a ticket and still got skunked.

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2014, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Our pool is hopeless. We even had everyone bring in a ticket and still got skunked.

Big Smile

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #150797
                  December 31, 2013
                  815 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2014, 7:58 am - IP Logged

Every pool is hopeless.  Playing the lottery is hopeless.

But hope triumphs over logic every time, and once in a very looooooong while it pays off.

May the luck fairy visit your pool next draw!

Blue Angel

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

BigDMike's avatar - Money 20City_zpsfnsebmis.jpg

Antarctica
                    Member #134465
                    October 28, 2012
                    1032 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2014, 8:51 am - IP Logged

More tickets equals more chances.  It doesn't equal BETTER chances...does it?  The odds don't change, so in my opinion lotto pools are for those that just want to share the jackpot for a smaller investment and payout.  I'd rather cash in alone, and buy my co-workers lunch.  If they want to "pool" anything, let's pool those pay checks with the executives. 

Now if THEY win, then all of this is null/void.  My lunch would be my foot, and theirs would be 5 star.  So what the heck do you do?!

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4108 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2014, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Every pool is hopeless.  Playing the lottery is hopeless.

But hope triumphs over logic every time, and once in a very looooooong while it pays off.

May the luck fairy visit your pool next draw!

Blue Angel

I Agree!

I guess the point point l am trying to make Tia is that when l look back on the list of " recent" lottery winners, lottery pools are not in clear sight.

for instance the $425 mil winner from  Fremont- One winner.

Prior to that, the Asian $400mil winner back in December  from San Jose- One winner.

$200 mil plus winner from Ohio, * I think-Brother Roy- One winner.

$200 mil winner last year  from Fresno- One winner.

Clearly- Solo winners outpace lottery pools....at this point.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:15 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

I guess the point point l am trying to make Tia is that when l look back on the list of " recent" lottery winners, lottery pools are not in clear sight.

Prior to that, the Asian $400mil winner back in December  from San Jose- One winner.

More individuals win because more individuals play.

I personally don't participate in a pool but it would be great for wheeling. It's irrelevant that you share the prize because the return to player over time is exactly the same, i.e. winning $200,000 for putting 1 ticket in the pool instead of $1,000,000 for playing 5 tickets alone. It's like playing in a raffle.

If you want to rely purely on luck like I do then how you play doesn't matter.....only that you play Big Grin

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19829 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:15 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

There are many strategies for winning lotteries, the fact that most large jackpot winners are individuals who brought some quick picks doesn't mean that it's the best strategy for everyone.  I prefer to play alone but I also like to use a system I developed to pick the combinations I play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #150797
                            December 31, 2013
                            815 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2014, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I would guess that many more tickets are sold to individuals than to pool groups, since 1 ticket = 1 chance to win.

I agree, you hear mostly about the individual winners and only occasionally a group win.  And when a group does win, even a big JP, the amount each member takes home is often (relatively) small.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein