Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hw hrd zit 2sy, "Sorry I can't." to people u knew hu borrw bg sums of money from u, nw that ur rich?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 2 years ago by bluerain.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ThaJackpotkid's avatar - Lottery-067.jpg
Johannesburg
South Africa
Member #155653
May 25, 2014
32 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2014, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Good day everybody! I read an article a long time ago, saying that one of the biggest reasons people who won the lottery get broke again or commit suicide is because, once you have won the 'Big One,' it gets hard to say no to poor desperate people, who are pleading, help, help, help. And imagine how hard it would be for you to say 'No.' or 'Sorry I can't.'

How true this is...

One of those stories that break my heart , is the pentecoastal 'preacher.' Who ended up committing suicide (if I'm not mistaken) just because of that reason a few years after he won the lottery.

If I was them, I was going to know that you can't save the whole world. So I'd donate 25% of my winnings to charity, and with the rest of the money, I would Invest, invest, invest, and fix everything that money can fix etc. and never look back. Remember I donated 25% to charity, so to the rest of that would ask from me, I would say "Sorry, I can't."

So, what do you think and what would you do?

Gambit

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
    SW Florida
    United States
    Member #145673
    August 11, 2013
    152 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2014, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

I don't think giving a chunk to charity would be seen as some sort of No Trespassing sign to those who expect you to give them money.  Family, friends, strangers - they'll have their hands out.  It's just the way it is.

Those who end up broke because they gave too much away weren't able to deal with the emotional blackmail or didn't have the necessary social and mental skills - like that tragic Abraham Shakespeare who was murdered.  Even if you did have the right skills you'd still have to put up with a lot of harassment (look up Craig Henshaw).  And be prepared to lose friends and have some family members hate you.

Me, I can't see myself falling for sob stories from strangers because I'm on the cynical/skeptical side anyway. I'd naturally assume they were liars and scam artists.  Sorry, but I don't believe that there's good in all people when big money is involved.  I would have to have their story authenticated but I would still balk at being emotionally blackmailed or pressured.  I'm like that now, with anything and anyone.  And I wouldn't hand over 25% or any amount to any charity with big admin costs (big salaries, perks and fancy offices).  I'd rather be a Fairy Godmother and give directly to those in need, anonymously.  But the first thing I'd do is take off, for a far off land, for at least 3 months to have a good think about it all and to get over that initial euphoria that can cause bad decisions to be made.

ESR54's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg
      BRONX N.Y.10459
      United States
      Member #86575
      February 6, 2010
      1066 Posts
      Posted: August 1, 2014, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I WOULD  GIVE TO MY FAMILIES,  AND  FRIENDS,  AND MY  CHURCH .  AND  GET  A HOME ,  GET  A NICE  CAR. INVEST FOR  ME AND MY CHILDREN.

AND  PRAISE   THE  LORD  EVERY DAY,  FOR  BEING  RICH AND HAVE  MONEY.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10389 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2014, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Pita Maha,

Excellent insight. Giving to charity, especially giving heavily, would attract even more of those who would be saying, "If you're giving it away slap some a million or so on me."

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #152758
          February 24, 2014
          327 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2014, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

YEA   SURE

United States
            Member #152758
            February 24, 2014
            327 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2014, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

WHEN I  WIN  THE  JACKPOT   I WILL  GIVE  IT  ALL  TO  U