Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If a young person won a HUGE pot how would you feel?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 2 years ago by jjtheprince.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kordman916's avatar - 4eyes

United States
Member #142519
May 14, 2013
23 Posts
Posted: August 20, 2014, 2:03 am - IP Logged

So in the past we've seen many older members of society like Gloria win insanely huge lottery pots.

What if it flipped and someone between the ages 18 - 21 won a huge pot? (200 - ??? Million)

Would you have any predictions on how they would end up?

Would you feel as though they don't deserve it because they're new to the game?

Etc....?

I'm looking forward to some interesting responses.

If I win... I'm gonna go bananas Banana... Then I'm going to Disney World 

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1280 Posts
    Posted: August 20, 2014, 2:43 am - IP Logged

Youth is wasted on the young. - George Bernard Shaw

I don't think they wouldn't deserve it if they were "new to the game."   IMHO, that has no bearing on their winning;  if they won on the first ticket they ever bought on the day they turned 18, then more power to 'em.  There was a young man on TLCML who won a large jackpot and while I can't remember all the particulars, he had a plan for his money, investing a large chunk and funding his dream of making movies. (or maybe it was music, I just don't remember) I'd love to see a follow-up on him to see how he's been doing.

That said, I think he's the exception to the rule.  Younger people are generally more impulsive and I don't know what I would have done w/ the money at that young age.  (when I was 18, I was ten feet tall, indestructible and smarter than just about everyone, particularly my parents)  Knowing what I know now, I'd take the lump sum but it would probably be best to take the annuity if the young person was as idiotic as I was at that age.   Never having a significant amt. of money and suddenly being rich isn't a good combination....as has been proved by so many athletes in pro sports.

There was a young man who used to participate in this forum who once replied on one of the ubiquitous "What would you do with your money if you won?" threads - he posted pictures of everything he'd buy, from a huge home with a recreation room full of every video game possible, an Olympic sized pool, a garage with very expensive sports cars - a young man's fantasy.  It made me laugh because when I was that age, I probably would've wanted the same things.   Me?  I will be satisfied with not ever having money worries ever again - except for what stock to buy and if I should rollover my jumbo CD or invest the money in something else for a change.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: August 20, 2014, 3:34 am - IP Logged

I'd wish them more luck than an older person, as they have a higher chance of spending it all before they die. Though, I really don't put much thought into how young or old winners are. In the end I'm happy for them and wish them luck.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19859 Posts
        Posted: August 20, 2014, 4:45 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
          Member #153629
          March 20, 2014
          129 Posts
          Posted: August 20, 2014, 5:02 am - IP Logged

They paid the lottery ticket and win, of course they deserve it. Besides, what's the point winning millions when you are 90+? and wont live to spend it? Personaly I believe I will quit playing lottery when I'm older.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
            Connecticut
            United States
            Member #61623
            May 29, 2008
            20581 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2014, 5:39 am - IP Logged

They paid the lottery ticket and win, of course they deserve it. Besides, what's the point winning millions when you are 90+? and wont live to spend it? Personaly I believe I will quit playing lottery when I'm older.

Besides, what's the point winning millions when you are 90+?

I've been saying that for a long time but many times people that age will just give it to their children or childrens childrens.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
              Kunming
              China
              Member #57910
              January 23, 2008
              3626 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2014, 6:01 am - IP Logged

Destiny chooses who it chooses. Young or old.

Play to win!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2014, 9:38 am - IP Logged

I would congratulate them like I do all winners...

I Love Pink & Green 1908

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: August 20, 2014, 9:59 am - IP Logged

There are some pretty savvy youth out there, not all want to spend it on fancy cars & mansions.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                    Happyland
                    United States
                    Member #146344
                    September 1, 2013
                    1129 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2014, 10:24 am - IP Logged

I started playing the lottery when I turned 18, and I know the last thing on my mind were Olympic swimming pools or mansions. I was more looking forward to launching companies, making a difference in the world, and being able to retire at an early age.

Generally people throw a fit when anybody but them wins, but it seems to me that they do it the most when the winner is either very young or very old. To me there is no such thing as "deserving" a jackpot win, I don't care how charitable, poor, or sweet you are. If you manage to overcome overwhelming odds and get the winning ticket then that is all the qualifications you need. I could also care less how they spend their winnings...after all, it's their money!

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1649 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2014, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Hey there Kordman916! For me, it kinda depends on how young they are and I'd be curious to know what their maturity level is. Some 'youngins'

are actually reasonably mature for a given age while others still act almost pre-schoolish. Either way, I believe they'd still need lots of guidance on how to handle so much money. Here's a link on a story about exactly what you're asking:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/199858

It was actually sad because they could've really used that money in the aftermath of things.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2014, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I would congratulate them like I do all winners...

So would I. Age doesn't determine who should or shouldn't win. If you buy a ticket and all your numbers come out, it doesn't matter how old you are as long as you are legally allowed to play.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
                          Baltimore, MD
                          United States
                          Member #143332
                          May 30, 2013
                          398 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2014, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

If a young woman hit a huge lottery jackpot. I probably would say hey baby, single?!!Big Grin To the women reading this, I know, I  know.Bash

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10353 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2014, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I would hope they wouldn't blow it on fleets of cars and other things they don't need.

One of the smartest winners I ever saw was a very young guy on The Lottery Changed My Life. He was in the Navy, his wife asked him to get out so he did.

On an interview he said when he saw a Porsche or some other hot car going down the street he's think to himself that he likes it, he could buy one, but he's not going to.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7314 Posts
                              Posted: August 20, 2014, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

So would I. Age doesn't determine who should or shouldn't win. If you buy a ticket and all your numbers come out, it doesn't matter how old you are as long as you are legally allowed to play.

I Agree!

But there are millions of lottery players with millions of opinions on how winners should handle their new found wealth.