Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is The Dumspter Digging Practice Legal?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Los Angeles
United States
Member #158700
August 31, 2014
1 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2014, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Hey everyone, first post on here and i am hoping for some good answers. I am a father of two always looking for ways to earn some extra money for my kids. I used to buy scratchers in California every once and a while but recently, i entered a couple tickets that i found on the ground into the 2nd chance drawing. I didn't win but then i thought about the prospect of taking non-winning tickets from the trash and entering all of those codes. So i started doing that when i left for work in the morning because i leave at 4am and the gas station by my house hasn't opened yet. It's a little embarrassing so i figure a dark gas station where nobody can see me is ok. I have been able to take anywhere from 5-10 tickets every morning from the trash cans until i hit the jackpot this morning. There was a trash bag in there from most likely behind the clerk stand that was filled with nothing but discarded tickets. I pulled almost 60 tickets from the bag, some were winners that were probably already entered but there were about 40 that were non-winners. I obviously would never try to claim the winning tickets because they were probably already scanned but one was a $15 winning ticket that wasn't scratched off at all. The only thing scratched off was the 2nd half of the long ticket code. SO! my morals start kicking in and i now have these two questions.

1) Do i have any chance with redeeming the $15 ticket? If only the 2nd half of the ticket code was scratched off, is it possible it hasn't been claimed?

2) If i was to ever really win a 2nd chance draw for the California Lottery, would i be able to claim the prize if i never bought the original winning scratcher or ticket? (i also enter non-winning Super Lotto tickets).

The idea of playing this 2nd chance draw for free is enticing but not if it's going to land me in legal trouble if i ever won. Just wondering if i should keep doing it in the hopes of maybe winning one day.

Thanks everyone!

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22907 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2014, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Technically it's their trash while on their property. If you're caught at 4am before the store opens in the trash by the police, there

might be a problem. Taking trash shouldn't be a problem for anyone but it's been a problem in the past...story here about woman

finding a big winning ticket and claiming it then finding someone else connected to the store (customer/worker) was taking claim to it

and took the case to court.

You'd think that if it's in the dumpster there would be no problem entering it into the second chance drawing, I doubt anyone would

come forward and try to put a claim on a prize that you entered a code for from a losing, discarded ticket. How would they prove it

anyway? It's not like you sign losing tickets...so in a sea of 60, how do you find the one you did at 2pm in the afternoon on a

Monday? Check the waste cans beside the ticket machines or in the store while the store is open, that will at least prevent you

from getting questioned about what you're doing at 4am in the trash.

Your 1st question...take it to a different store and have a clerk scan it. I don't know how CA works but in PA we have a scratch

to scan box and if it's intact, that ticket hasn't been scanned or redeemed. I've found some winners like that...I especially like

to scan the big price tickets, $20 and $30 or difficult games meant to confuse that still have the box covered by latex. I found

a $30 $3 ticket that way once and a $75 $30 ticket too.

So personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking tickets from the trash but would be careful about the 4am thing.

Good luck!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

bub1964's avatar - cat anm.gif
      kentucky
      United States
      Member #158338
      August 19, 2014
      12 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2014, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

i do it all the time the store i go too has a card board box sitting by the lottery machine for discarded tickets....i get a handful out once in a while and enter them on line for second chance drawings. i did find once a 19.00 winner that hadnt been cashed in.  i dont see anything wrong with doing it...if its in the garbage i think it should be finders keepers''

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2014, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

In Idaho you have to keep all your tickets that you've entered for 2nd chance drawings because you must present the winning ticket/game card in order to claim a prize.  I guess to keep people from guessing the sequences used on certain games and entering them.

If CA is the same way, I don't see any problem at all entering found tickets in 2nd chance drawings. 

If CA players don't need to present the winning ticket, then hopefully if you enter one that's already been entered, it will give you an error "sorry you already entered this ticket" or something.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7310 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2014, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Hey everyone, first post on here and i am hoping for some good answers. I am a father of two always looking for ways to earn some extra money for my kids. I used to buy scratchers in California every once and a while but recently, i entered a couple tickets that i found on the ground into the 2nd chance drawing. I didn't win but then i thought about the prospect of taking non-winning tickets from the trash and entering all of those codes. So i started doing that when i left for work in the morning because i leave at 4am and the gas station by my house hasn't opened yet. It's a little embarrassing so i figure a dark gas station where nobody can see me is ok. I have been able to take anywhere from 5-10 tickets every morning from the trash cans until i hit the jackpot this morning. There was a trash bag in there from most likely behind the clerk stand that was filled with nothing but discarded tickets. I pulled almost 60 tickets from the bag, some were winners that were probably already entered but there were about 40 that were non-winners. I obviously would never try to claim the winning tickets because they were probably already scanned but one was a $15 winning ticket that wasn't scratched off at all. The only thing scratched off was the 2nd half of the long ticket code. SO! my morals start kicking in and i now have these two questions.

1) Do i have any chance with redeeming the $15 ticket? If only the 2nd half of the ticket code was scratched off, is it possible it hasn't been claimed?

2) If i was to ever really win a 2nd chance draw for the California Lottery, would i be able to claim the prize if i never bought the original winning scratcher or ticket? (i also enter non-winning Super Lotto tickets).

The idea of playing this 2nd chance draw for free is enticing but not if it's going to land me in legal trouble if i ever won. Just wondering if i should keep doing it in the hopes of maybe winning one day.

Thanks everyone!

In a dumpster the tickets were first discarded by a player and then by the store, but you might ask for permission to go dumpster diving at 4 AM. Take the $15 winners to another store cash it and I doubt they will ask if you bought the ticket and the same is true for the second chance drawing.