Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Redeeming a Bag of Found Scratchers

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 2 years ago by CDanaT.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Santa Monica
United States
Member #158706
August 31, 2014
1 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2014, 11:57 am - IP Logged

JACKPOT!!! haha, or most likely not. I was gassing up this morning at a gas station in Santa Monica CA. and was throwing something away when i saw sticking out of the trash can, a bag of receipts and that had already been scratched off. After further glance, i found out that all the scratchers in the bag, almost 40 were all winners. Now, i may be a sucker for a slot machine but even i know this seems too good to be true. I counted them all and it adds up to almost $400. On some of them, the bar code and the long ticket code were revealed. On some, just the ticket code was revealed and on a couple, nothing was revealed at all except a couple sections of the bar code or the ticket code. I am 99.9999% sure these are all tickets that were probably in the clerks trash can that were scanned at the counter then discarded. However, don't the clerks have to staple a receipt to the scratcher and keep the winning tickets to submit to the lotto officials? They would need record that the money given out from their register coincides with these winning tickets. Or so i think. The tickets i found in the bag had nothing stapled to them just random receipts in the bag. Did i just stumble upon someone's mistake or is it standard practice for the clerks to throw away the tickets after they scan them and the give the winner their money. I don't want to do anything illegal but i could sure use that $400 right about now.

United States
    Member #158707
    August 31, 2014
    12 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2014, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

please check your pm 

thanks

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2014, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

It might be a bag of tickets that have all been cashed out already. If you have doubts take one ticket in and see if you can cash it. The worst they can say is that it's already been redeemed.

Unless of course the cashiers are suppose to hold on to those tickets and turn them into the lottery officials. Then maybe you did find a bag full of winners.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

CHERRY HILL, NJ
        United States
        Member #130213
        July 9, 2012
        387 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2014, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

The clerks in the store I play in got tired of cleaning up after the scratchers in our area. So he put in a small basket, like the one you see in coffee shops where people dump the paper covers on plastic straws.

People have been cooperative and have started using it. Yesterday, it was full and decided to look at some of the tickets in them. I found a winner (unclaimed). It was a poker game and the champion had a trip and player 1 had a flush. Somehow the buyer might have been spooked by the trip or was just plain careless. I was praying for a nice win but it was only for a free ticket. 

I was thinking of checking the basket more frequently but I guess I would end up wasting more time than finding winners.

Here in NJ and in other states, the Lottery vending machines have scanners which can tell if the prize has been claimed or not. The scanner gives you options to use as credits the prize (as it will not spit out cash). People have started to catch on to this feature so its not strange to find winners in the trash heap. If the bar codes have been scratched, then they will most probably have been cashed. But theres no harm in scanning it again to find out.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2014, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

From what you describe I would say they were already redeemed. If they were then you're out of luck. Yes, clerks are 'supposed' to follow certain procedures when discarding tickets that have been cashed out, but in my experience only a small percentage of them actually do it.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4111 Posts
            Posted: August 31, 2014, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

JACKPOT!!! haha, or most likely not. I was gassing up this morning at a gas station in Santa Monica CA. and was throwing something away when i saw sticking out of the trash can, a bag of receipts and that had already been scratched off. After further glance, i found out that all the scratchers in the bag, almost 40 were all winners. Now, i may be a sucker for a slot machine but even i know this seems too good to be true. I counted them all and it adds up to almost $400. On some of them, the bar code and the long ticket code were revealed. On some, just the ticket code was revealed and on a couple, nothing was revealed at all except a couple sections of the bar code or the ticket code. I am 99.9999% sure these are all tickets that were probably in the clerks trash can that were scanned at the counter then discarded. However, don't the clerks have to staple a receipt to the scratcher and keep the winning tickets to submit to the lotto officials? They would need record that the money given out from their register coincides with these winning tickets. Or so i think. The tickets i found in the bag had nothing stapled to them just random receipts in the bag. Did i just stumble upon someone's mistake or is it standard practice for the clerks to throw away the tickets after they scan them and the give the winner their money. I don't want to do anything illegal but i could sure use that $400 right about now.

What's are the chances of finding $400.00 in a dumpster? Highly unlikely , however l did read awhile back of a major jackpot winner who was pretty loaded at the time  leaving his briefcase with a couple hundred thousand behind a Dumpster * I think...while taking a leak outside a local bar.

Stranger things have happened.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2014, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I suppose you could scan one of the winners or try turning it in. Say you found it on the ground and aren't sure, but you think it's a winner. You'll find out of it's worth something or already redeemed.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22978 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2014, 12:41 am - IP Logged

Try and scan them or give a couple to a clerk to check. Can't hurt. In PA we have a box that needs to be scratched

and scanned to redeem an instant ticket. Not sure how your state is but maybe they have already been scanned..

something on the back?...or maybe not and it is your lucky day. I hope so.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                  TX
                  United States
                  Member #121193
                  January 4, 2012
                  1637 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2014, 6:41 am - IP Logged

Well 24theroad.......Perhaps someone could be scratching and saving them in the bag to go to the store with. Perhaps they were cleaning out the vehicle and accidently threw them away. Just a fleeting thought in case you are the lucky recipient....
                  Here in our area the clerks usually scan the ticket and if its a small winner(payable at the store level), they will rip it in half(sometimes) then throw it in the trashcan and give me my winnings.

I hope you fare well with your potential nestegg.