Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What state will win the powerball jackpot?

Topic closed. 90 replies. Last post 2 years ago by pickone4me.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

What state will win the powerball jackpot?

California [ 12 ]  [21.05%]
Florida [ 3 ]  [5.26%]
New York [ 4 ]  [7.02%]
Iowa [ 2 ]  [3.51%]
Michigan [ 3 ]  [5.26%]
New Jersey [ 2 ]  [3.51%]
Texas [ 4 ]  [7.02%]
Some other state not listed [ 27 ]  [47.37%]
Total Valid Votes [ 57 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1532 Posts
Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Like I said before, it's the same places that win and only one winning ticket.  It sucks!  Why play if you live in non winning states.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Souf Jerzee, LOL

Whats that ?

You say that's not a state, well we think it is !

No matter the JPs back to the starting line so I won't be playing for a while.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Nice Hat ! LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1532 Posts
        Posted: September 25, 2014, 10:56 am - IP Logged

You live in Denver and you are glad that  California won?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: September 25, 2014, 11:04 am - IP Logged

With a $225 jackpot PowerBall was approaching  the point where I was willing to spend $2 on its tickets.  If Californians were willing to spend $2 on tickets for lower jackpots than folks in other states then one of them deserve to win.  None of my money went toward that jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Romancandle's avatar - moon
            Upacreek
            United States
            Member #136306
            December 8, 2012
            428 Posts
            Posted: September 25, 2014, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Welcome to the NEW California Powerball Game where most other states all have excellent odds in assisting California residents in winning new jackpots!

Buy early, buy now and you too can be a part of this exciting event!

LOL

-RC

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
              Baltimore, MD
              United States
              Member #143332
              May 30, 2013
              398 Posts
              Posted: September 25, 2014, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Including last nights win. There has been 9 Powerball winners so far in 2014, with four of them coming from California. So 44% of all the wins for PB this year has come from California. However, there was only one winner from California in 2013. I guess 2014 just so happens to be the year of California.

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

California
                United States
                Member #141204
                April 7, 2013
                280 Posts
                Posted: September 25, 2014, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Including last nights win. There has been 9 Powerball winners so far in 2014, with four of them coming from California. So 44% of all the wins for PB this year has come from California. However, there was only one winner from California in 2013. I guess 2014 just so happens to be the year of California.

why is 44% bolded and underlined? What is the significance of that number?

Powerball drawings are on every Wednesdays and Saturdays. So that's about 8 Powerball drawings a month. There have been about 72 drawings this year. Of those 72 drawings, 6 of them have been won by Californians which is roughly 12% out of the possible drawings. 12% is about how much CA buys in PB tickets. I don't see why the conspiracy nuts are coming out of the woodwork.

United States
                  Member #135804
                  November 29, 2012
                  318 Posts
                  Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Powerball drawings are on every Wednesdays and Saturdays. So that's about 8 Powerball drawings a month. There have been about 72 drawings this year. Of those 72 drawings, 6 of them have been won by Californians which is roughly 12% out of the possible drawings. 12% is about how much CA buys in PB tickets. I don't see why the conspiracy nuts are coming out of the woodwork.

Your denominator is not what you should be using.

Furthermore, CA only provides 11% at late stages (highest jackpots). In the early build up they only provide 7% of sales. Most of the run is usually 10%

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                    Member #158848
                    September 5, 2014
                    294 Posts
                    Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Goteki's figure refers only to JACKPOT-WINNING DRAWS, you're including all LOSING draws where there was no winner in your figure. 

So you're comparing apples to oranges.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

United States
                      Member #135804
                      November 29, 2012
                      318 Posts
                      Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Goteki's figure refers only to JACKPOT-WINNING DRAWS, you're including all LOSING draws where there was no winner in your figure. 

This.

California
                        United States
                        Member #141204
                        April 7, 2013
                        280 Posts
                        Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Your denominator is not what you should be using.

Furthermore, CA only provides 11% at late stages (highest jackpots). In the early build up they only provide 7% of sales. Most of the run is usually 10%

so 8.3% instead of 12% then. That just proves my point even more. It's actually 4 CA winners this year and not 6. 

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_stories.asp

So CA won 4 drawings out of a possible 72. That's 5.5%.

The conspiracy theories are getting out of hand. California does not win a disproportionate amount of jackpots based on the number of tickets bought by Californians. Why do I even care? We all know what will come of this, conspiracy theorists will "boycott" Powerball until the jackpot reaches 100 mil, then it's business as usual.

United States
                          Member #135804
                          November 29, 2012
                          318 Posts
                          Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

so 8.3% instead of 12% then. That just proves my point even more. It's actually 4 CA winners this year and not 6. 

The conspiracy theories are getting out of hand. California does not win a disproportionate amount of jackpots based on the number of tickets bought by Californians. Why do I even care? We all know what will come of this, conspiracy theorists will "boycott" Powerball until the jackpot reaches 100 mil, then it's business as usual.

Your denominator is wrong!

California
                            United States
                            Member #141204
                            April 7, 2013
                            280 Posts
                            Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

the jackpot was won at $225 million. There were 13 drawings until the jackpot was won by a Californian. Are you trying to say the other 12 drawings didn't matter at all because no one won them? Didn't the other states have a chance at winning the other 12 drawings? I'm including the other drawings because any state could have won them. Why only take the drawings that had winners into account and exclude the rest?

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                              Member #158848
                              September 5, 2014
                              294 Posts
                              Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but you're still making an invalid comparison.

CA has won 4 of the 9 jackpot-winning draws this year. You trying to throw all the losing draws into the mix is a MAJOR FAIL. You're making an apples to oranges comparison.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions