Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

College Student Who Just Got into Scratchers – Advice?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by JackpotWanna.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Philadelphia, PA
United States
Member #159394
September 23, 2014
3 Posts
Posted: September 23, 2014, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys!

I'm in my first year of college, and recently I've begun treating myself to a few scratchers every week, particularly on Fridays or after a big test or assignment as a sort of "reward". Do you guys have any advice to maximize the fun while playing without any of the stress? I don't want to get addicted and would like to keep it as nothing more than a nice little treat for myself. Is this a good system? Also, do you guys usually buy from the same place? And do you tend to buy the same scratcher each time you play, or do you try different games? Thanks, and sorry for the newbie post! Keep scratchin' Wink

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: September 23, 2014, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys!

I'm in my first year of college, and recently I've begun treating myself to a few scratchers every week, particularly on Fridays or after a big test or assignment as a sort of "reward". Do you guys have any advice to maximize the fun while playing without any of the stress? I don't want to get addicted and would like to keep it as nothing more than a nice little treat for myself. Is this a good system? Also, do you guys usually buy from the same place? And do you tend to buy the same scratcher each time you play, or do you try different games? Thanks, and sorry for the newbie post! Keep scratchin' Wink

I play the ones with the best odds, regardless of cost. Some get freaked out spending $20 on a scratcher but instead of buying lots of little tickets I save up and get a big one. I think playing more can lead to addiction easier. I usually buy from same places but it doesn't really matter and I like to mix it up every once and awhile. If I'm buying more than 1 ticket I'll usually stick to the same game. But that's rare since I'm a one ticket guy Smile

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

New York
      United States
      Member #157288
      July 14, 2014
      170 Posts
      Posted: September 23, 2014, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

My advice is to pick a limit on how much you want to spend and don't go over it and above all, stay positive and have fun!

Bay Area, California
        United States
        Member #154225
        April 8, 2014
        49 Posts
        Posted: September 23, 2014, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys!

The best advice is only play with money you don't need or wouldn't miss because chances are you won't get it back. If you are getting stressed out from losing money you are playing with money that you can't afford to lose. Remember the lottery is supposed to be fun, not stressful.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
          Member #158848
          September 5, 2014
          294 Posts
          Posted: September 24, 2014, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Don't waste your money/time on cards costing less than $5. On the other hand, assuming you're a typical college student who doesn't have a lot of money to spend - the $20 and up cards might be a little too expensive. Thus I would recommend you key on the $5 and $10 cards.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

PA
            United States
            Member #129849
            June 29, 2012
            308 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2014, 8:49 am - IP Logged

Only play the money you can comfortably afford to lose. If you lost the money you were going to play,

it shouldn't put any financial pressure or stress on you at all.

I don't know your finances or your financial situation but your probably better off not playing at all. I'm

paying back my student loans now, and if I had done just a few things different while earning my degree

I wouldn't be in nearly so much debt. 

If you really want to my suggestions are to buy at least 2-3 of the same time at a time and never chase a win.

If there's a $5 ticket you like, buy 2 or 3 and take them home to scratch them. If you have a little extra and

want to try the $20's then buy two and take them home. Never feed the machine with the attitude that it has

to pay out soon after X amount of losses. You'd be surprised. I've already gone through 8+ $20 losing tickets

in a row.

backwoods ga
              United States
              Member #155844
              May 31, 2014
              1890 Posts
              Posted: September 24, 2014, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Save your money til you can buy a whole roll...

Only buy roll of new games.  Find out what day. New games drop in your state..

Find out what stores in your area has sold big winners before

Learn a lot from your states lottery website

When you buy a roll. 1 of 3 things happen. You break even. You lose. Or you profit. 

Once you win. Take the winning. And wait again for perfect time to buy whole roll of new game at a known winning store..

I only buy $10 tickets

Using this strategy I haven't won $100, 000, 000.  Lol. Good luck

United States
                Member #158848
                September 5, 2014
                294 Posts
                Posted: September 24, 2014, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Not many college freshmen have the money to buy an entire roll of scratchers - they might graduate before they could afford just one roll!

For those on a limited budget, I recommend buying ten of the same card at one time. Do your research and only get the ones with the most top prizes left.

backwoods ga
                  United States
                  Member #155844
                  May 31, 2014
                  1890 Posts
                  Posted: September 24, 2014, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Not many college freshmen have the money to buy an entire roll of scratchers - they might graduate before they could afford just one roll!

For those on a limited budget, I recommend buying ten of the same card at one time. Do your research and only get the ones with the most top prizes left.

They can read though. I said. Save money. Til you can afford entire roll.

United States
                    Member #158848
                    September 5, 2014
                    294 Posts
                    Posted: September 24, 2014, 11:02 am - IP Logged

They can read though. I said. Save money. Til you can afford entire roll.

And like I said, most college freshmen can't afford to buy an entire roll. Many don't have even a part-time job. Little to no income makes it pretty hard to save up and buy scratchers by the roll. Most of the people I know who work full-time for a living can't even afford to buy by the roll.

United States
                      Member #158848
                      September 5, 2014
                      294 Posts
                      Posted: September 24, 2014, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys!

Are you going to school in Pennsylvania?

Philadelphia, PA
                        United States
                        Member #159394
                        September 23, 2014
                        3 Posts
                        Posted: September 24, 2014, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

I am! Philadelphia, to be specific. Are you familiar with PA lottery? I'm coming from a different state, so the scratchers are a bit different here.

United States
                          Member #158848
                          September 5, 2014
                          294 Posts
                          Posted: September 24, 2014, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

In the PA Lottery, I would recommend 10X The Money and Aces High - both $10 cards. If you want some recommendations on $5 cards, let me know.

The payout on a lot of PA scratchers is weak, considering it's such a large state. $10 card top prizes usually only pay 300 grand in PA, compared to $1 Million in NC.

Philadelphia, PA
                            United States
                            Member #159394
                            September 23, 2014
                            3 Posts
                            Posted: September 24, 2014, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

What are some good $5 cards? And are the $1 and $2 scratchers ever worth playing?

Olney, MD
                              United States
                              Member #121536
                              January 11, 2012
                              450 Posts
                              Posted: September 24, 2014, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I would advise that you put as little money as possible into playing scratch offs.