Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Please help me understand Pick4 "Combination Play"

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 2 years ago by JackpotFabio.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #138720
February 4, 2013
5 Posts
Posted: October 9, 2014, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Hi everybody, I'm trying to figure out how the "Combination Play" in Pick4 games works. I play New York Win4 and for what I read on the website it says that if you bet $24 ($1 per possible permutation) on a number of type ABCD you win $5000. So my question is, wouldn't the prize be $9600 since you are paying for 23 other boxed combinations?  ($5000 straight + 4600 of the other 23 boxed possible combinations) Why does it say $5000 jackpot when it should include the boxed prize?

Irvine, CA
    United States
    Member #156021
    June 6, 2014
    17 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2014, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Your $24 combo play is just a convenient way to play ABCD and cover all combinations STRAIGHT instead of filling out 24 separate straights.  Your $1 bet is not covering a Box play.  So combination play is just for straight payouts only.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5762 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2014, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Hi everybody, I'm trying to figure out how the "Combination Play" in Pick4 games works. I play New York Win4 and for what I read on the website it says that if you bet $24 ($1 per possible permutation) on a number of type ABCD you win $5000. So my question is, wouldn't the prize be $9600 since you are paying for 23 other boxed combinations?  ($5000 straight + 4600 of the other 23 boxed possible combinations) Why does it say $5000 jackpot when it should include the boxed prize?

On a pick 4 number that is all different digits such as 1234, and you play the "combo", you are playing all 24 ways that number can be drawn. Therefore for each combination you are paying $1. If 4231 is drawn you win $5000 because you play all 24 ways it could be drawn. When you play $24 for a combo, you are not playing boxed with that bet. You would have to spend more money to play boxed, which wouldn't make any sense.

If you play boxed, then you are paying $1 for the number to be drawn in any order. You would win $200 (at least in Tx) for a boxed hit. You can play straight and boxed for $2, and if you play 1234 and it comes in that way you would win $5000 for the straight and $200 for the box. By the way, you probably can play for .50 instead of a $1, but it's easier to explain using $1 as an example.

Playing the combo gives you a better chance of hitting straight, but it's much more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
        Member #138720
        February 4, 2013
        5 Posts
        Posted: October 9, 2014, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

oh, ok I was reading it wrong I thought it would include boxed games. Hmm ok, so then the best way to maximise the prize will def. be play st8/box, and write each number combination separately  ... but playing 10 numbers this way will create an huge amount of tickets :( 

Thanks for your answer!

grwurston's avatar - 144
          Let's Go Rangers!!!
          bel air maryland
          United States
          Member #90251
          April 24, 2010
          5123 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2014, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

If you're going to spend $24 on one number, you're better off playing it boxed $1- 24 times instead of the Combo bet. Why?

You would win $4800 instead of $5000, but you could cash it at the store, ($200 per ticket) instead of having to fill out a

claim form. Just make sure you get it on separate tickets and not all on one ticket.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
            Member #138720
            February 4, 2013
            5 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2014, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

That's right, sounds very convenient as well. But I just figured out that the shortest way to win the same amount is to play twice the same number using the combo option, therefore making 10 grand....I'm so new to this and been playing this game for a year and just realized that the playing slip has multiple ticket number option, my bad !!!

Thanks for all your answers, 

best luck to all

grwurston's avatar - 144
              Let's Go Rangers!!!
              bel air maryland
              United States
              Member #90251
              April 24, 2010
              5123 Posts
              Posted: October 9, 2014, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

oh, ok I was reading it wrong I thought it would include boxed games. Hmm ok, so then the best way to maximise the prize will def. be play st8/box, and write each number combination separately  ... but playing 10 numbers this way will create an huge amount of tickets :( 

Thanks for your answer!

If you play straight/ box, also known as 50/50. (50Cent straight, 50Cent box). you would get $2600 per ticket if you hit

straight or $100 if you hit box. If you hit straight on a 50/50 bet you will need to fill out a claim form and give Uncle Sam his

cut. Any winning ticket over $600 needs a claim form.

Playing $1 box, you win $200 per ticket and you keep all of it.  Yes Nod You'll have a lot of tix in your wallet, but it's worth it.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

grwurston's avatar - 144
                Let's Go Rangers!!!
                bel air maryland
                United States
                Member #90251
                April 24, 2010
                5123 Posts
                Posted: October 9, 2014, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

If you go on the left of the screen and click on USA MEGA, then click on FAQ's, then scroll down, you can find out the tax

rates on lottery winnings for each state. 

Good Luck!!! and welcome to LP.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  23238 Posts
                  Posted: October 10, 2014, 12:10 am - IP Logged

That's right, sounds very convenient as well. But I just figured out that the shortest way to win the same amount is to play twice the same number using the combo option, therefore making 10 grand....I'm so new to this and been playing this game for a year and just realized that the playing slip has multiple ticket number option, my bad !!!

Thanks for all your answers, 

best luck to all

lol Thumbs Up gl!

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

United States
                    Member #138720
                    February 4, 2013
                    5 Posts
                    Posted: October 10, 2014, 2:27 am - IP Logged

thank you very much! i just found I owe the great Uncle $238.14. So on that note let's keep it straight: If I play a winning number, and I decide to make it a combination play, so I get $5000 when won , my tax will be $441, so after the tax in the state of NY it is $4559. If I play the same combination on separate str8/box tickets I make  $4800 which is just $241 winnings above playing combination, but I will have to wait like sooo long to get the tickets printed.For instance, I'm not just gonna play a lucky number but something that follows a system, so just o say, if I end up playing 4 unique numbers, it will make 96 single str8/box tickets on a ABCD number. That's already too many printed tickets and a ton of time waiting for the numbers to print out and a lot of angry people on the line waiting to pay for gas, bubblegum, cigarettes,  or play other higher jackpot games. On that note, I'd just play a combination play of the 4 numbers , get it done on like a minute, make 5K and pay uncle Sam his share of $441... no? or is that too much to contribute? 

Thanks for helping me understanding the logic of this game ,

have a happy and awesome luck!

ohh I forgot to add the cost of tickets to the prize deduction: so on a ABCD game you bet $24 on a single number to hit a straight. so betting on 4 numbers will deduct  $96 of the final prize, if paying uncle sam using the combination play option it will make into $4463 and if played on separate str8/box tickets it will be  $4704. So once again. the difference of tax/no tax is $241 and like so much time of waiting printing a sample of all the possible permutation plays of 4 unique numbers,

I get it know, thanks for the answers, I'll choose option: pay uncle Sam the retribution.

grwurston's avatar - 144
                      Let's Go Rangers!!!
                      bel air maryland
                      United States
                      Member #90251
                      April 24, 2010
                      5123 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2014, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

thank you very much! i just found I owe the great Uncle $238.14. So on that note let's keep it straight: If I play a winning number, and I decide to make it a combination play, so I get $5000 when won , my tax will be $441, so after the tax in the state of NY it is $4559. If I play the same combination on separate str8/box tickets I make  $4800 which is just $241 winnings above playing combination, but I will have to wait like sooo long to get the tickets printed.For instance, I'm not just gonna play a lucky number but something that follows a system, so just o say, if I end up playing 4 unique numbers, it will make 96 single str8/box tickets on a ABCD number. That's already too many printed tickets and a ton of time waiting for the numbers to print out and a lot of angry people on the line waiting to pay for gas, bubblegum, cigarettes,  or play other higher jackpot games. On that note, I'd just play a combination play of the 4 numbers , get it done on like a minute, make 5K and pay uncle Sam his share of $441... no? or is that too much to contribute? 

Thanks for helping me understanding the logic of this game ,

have a happy and awesome luck!

ohh I forgot to add the cost of tickets to the prize deduction: so on a ABCD game you bet $24 on a single number to hit a straight. so betting on 4 numbers will deduct  $96 of the final prize, if paying uncle sam using the combination play option it will make into $4463 and if played on separate str8/box tickets it will be  $4704. So once again. the difference of tax/no tax is $241 and like so much time of waiting printing a sample of all the possible permutation plays of 4 unique numbers,

I get it know, thanks for the answers, I'll choose option: pay uncle Sam the retribution.

You are wrong. NY gets their share (8.82%) in state taxes PLUS the Feds get an additional 25%. Total 33.82%. So out of 5000 you get to keep 3309. I'll carry some extra tickets in my pocket, and wait 5 minutes for an extra $1491. 4800 @ 24 X $1 box, minus 3309 combo. What you do is up to you...

United States
                        Member #138720
                        February 4, 2013
                        5 Posts
                        Posted: October 11, 2014, 12:34 am - IP Logged

wow, didn't know there was a 25% cut from fed taxes, my bad again, thanks for this huge tip off!