Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Illinois Payback Percentages

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 2 years ago by JamesMelony.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #3676
February 10, 2004
425 Posts
Posted: October 10, 2014, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Does anyone have the payback percentages in Illinois on the $10,$20, and $30 games.

It is so funny. I emailed the lottery and Northstar wrote back giving me a generic look on the website

for scratcher information. The payback percentages are NOT listed on the site. It is like they didn't even

read the question.

I am setting up a syndicate with a few people going in together on some rolls of tickets where the best percentage

of the top prizes are available. Going to do a skype and scratch type of deal. If anyone has these payback percentages

off hand please let me know. Thanks.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1131 Posts
    Posted: October 10, 2014, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone have the payback percentages in Illinois on the $10,$20, and $30 games.

It is so funny. I emailed the lottery and Northstar wrote back giving me a generic look on the website

for scratcher information. The payback percentages are NOT listed on the site. It is like they didn't even

read the question.

I am setting up a syndicate with a few people going in together on some rolls of tickets where the best percentage

of the top prizes are available. Going to do a skype and scratch type of deal. If anyone has these payback percentages

off hand please let me know. Thanks.

You might have to file a formal Freedom of Information request to get that info.

Don't live in IL but it will probably be the ones with the best odds. Comparing 50 games in my state, the correlation coefficient of overall odds and game payback is 0.9, which means that the variation in overall odds explains 90% of the variation in payback. So a good rule of thumb is that those with the best odds have the best return. Not always the case of course, but without access to more information it's the best you can do.

Top prizes remaining is only part of the story....to use that info you also need to know how many tickets have been sold and how many remain in the game. A game with 10 top prizes left is no good if there are 50 million tickets still in the game. Again, that's where FoI requests come into play.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
      Member #160170
      October 20, 2014
      30 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2014, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

I went to check their site and its amazing how little information they put up besides the top three or four prizes left. Would be nice if they added how many tickets will be printed or have been sold but that might cause some people to stop playing the older less valuable games.