Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a huge jackpot would you feel obligated to share it?

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Toronto.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
Texas Panhandle
United States
Member #136843
December 20, 2012
1266 Posts
Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

What ever the amount is they will have to pay the taxes and still have more than what they have now.

From the IRS site:

Who pays the gift tax?
The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax. Under special arrangements the donee may agree to pay the tax instead. Please visit with your tax professional if you are considering this type of arrangement.

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1496 Posts
    Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

That is good info, but I would hope the donee will agree to pay the taxes.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1510 Posts
      Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

MikeinTexas, no I did not know that the IRS has a cap on charitable donations. Thanks again for keeping us up to date.

I guess a CPA, a Certified Public Agent, would also be up to date with the IRS rules and regulations. 

So, that makes an attorney, a CPA, and a CFP "Certified Financial Planner possible future hires when I have millions to protect.

Lurking I am waiting for the NLDS to start. Go Giants ! LOL

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Taxes are the reason I'd renounce US citizenship for good and become a citizen of the Cayman Islands.  I'd pay my "exit tax" and then tell Uncle Sam "Fvck you!"

Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1266 Posts
          Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

That is good info, but I would hope the donee will agree to pay the taxes.

Sure, but they might be upset that your gift of five million will "only" be three million after taxes.  As you say, that's more money than they had before, but OTOH, they might resent that you, Mr. Moneybags, didn't want to pay the taxes.  Again, money often changes people, whether it's you w/ the new wealth or those around you.

Texas Panhandle
            United States
            Member #136843
            December 20, 2012
            1266 Posts
            Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

MikeinTexas, no I did not know that the IRS has a cap on charitable donations. Thanks again for keeping us up to date.

I guess a CPA, a Certified Public Agent, would also be up to date with the IRS rules and regulations. 

So, that makes an attorney, a CPA, and a CFP "Certified Financial Planner possible future hires when I have millions to protect.

Lurking I am waiting for the NLDS to start. Go Giants ! LOL

Yup, I agree and I'd go even farther to say that you'd need second opinions...IOW, find a CPA to check the information of the first one, ditto w/ the attorney and CFP.  After all, if a doctor tells you that you only have six months to live and there's nothing that can be done, you'll want to consult another doctor, right?

I understand why the IRS limits charitable deductions, but I'm of the mind that it's our money and what we legally do with it should be no one's business, particularly the govt.'s.   I also understand the gift tax but 40% is more than exorbitant, it borders on robbery. (ditto f/ income tax)  I mean....God only wants 10%, seems like the govt. should be able to get by on that as well.

It was really hard being a Texas Rangers fan this year. <sigh>  Barring the last few years, they usually waited until June to swoon...this year they were out of the race not long after opening day.

United States
              Member #145267
              August 1, 2013
              1496 Posts
              Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

In my paper work, I have done math that the donee will pay the taxes and they will have to live with that.  And it may change, it depends on the jackpot amount.  I have to have a certain amount to live in Rancho Santa Fe, Ca. ( San Diego area).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10347 Posts
                Posted: October 11, 2014, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

No, not obligated. Take your finger out of that dike and you'd really be asking for it.

'Obligated' can be a tough word.......there was a thread once about would hitting a jp make you obligated to quit your job and make way for someone who really needs it and that thread went down a rabbit trail of, "I ain't obligate to do nothin'...."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1496 Posts
                  Posted: October 12, 2014, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Mikeintexas, you brought up the gift tax and I mentioned that the donee should pay the gift tax.  So, the following year the donee is taxed again on the same money plus their income under the income tax.  I think this is correct, do you agree?

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                    TX
                    United States
                    Member #121193
                    January 4, 2012
                    1637 Posts
                    Posted: October 12, 2014, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Y/W. It wasn't a "correction" - as I said, your post had been posted while I was composing my own.  Those numbers change all the time;  for example, the total lifetime exemption was 5.25 million and from what I've read, was adjusted upward to account for inflation.  I've also read that $14k per yr. amt.  might be upped as well.   Did you know the IRS has a cap on charitable donations?

I try to consider all avenues but sometimes it leads me to think of the worst possibilities.  I love my family (well, most of 'em) and I think those I love also love me, but you never know what can happen when large amts. of money are involved.  People have been murdered for much less than $14k and I don't think I'd let anyone know how much and to whom I'm leaving in my will. I might very well tell my family that I'll keep giving them money as long as I'm alive, but the bulk of my estate will go to charity or into my foundation when I die...even if it won't.   Someone might be a little too quick to pull the plug if they thought they were going to get rich when I kick the bucket.

Mike..........I think in addition to the max allowed dollar figure, I would also consider doing this, should I choose to share even more...buying low dollar money orders(under $175.00) from a machine or $50 + $100 gift certificates from that big named store that begins with a  W..maybe the same amount from that orange store that has an H and a D in it or a gas card. Possibly gift certificates to various restaurants or any place that I know of that the people I give to will utilize throughout the year.
                    It would give me something to accomplish each month for a couple of  days, running around getting them  from various locations(not to draw attention to yourself) and mailing them out  Big Grin Santa

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #149492
                      December 2, 2013
                      919 Posts
                      Posted: October 12, 2014, 11:34 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't feel obligated to share, but I will with those I want to.  I highly doubt I will share with those who ask though.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4786 Posts
                        Posted: October 12, 2014, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

From the IRS site:

Who pays the gift tax?
                        The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax. Under special arrangements the donee may agree to pay the tax instead. Please visit with your tax professional if you are considering this type of arrangement.

On a related matter, this makes me still wonder how the Lottery in the Hot Lotto game can pay the withholding  tax (I assume the federal 25%) for the winner. I always thought this was not legal per the tax code.

J'aime La France.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                          Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1129 Posts
                          Posted: October 12, 2014, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

On a related matter, this makes me still wonder how the Lottery in the Hot Lotto game can pay the withholding  tax (I assume the federal 25%) for the winner. I always thought this was not legal per the tax code.

The rules state that the “Advertised Grand Prize” amount is not the Gross Grand Prize Value, and further down they define “Gross Prize Value” as the prize value prior to deductions for applicable federal and state withholding taxes. My understanding is that the advertised prize is 0.75 times the actual (gross) prize. So a winner may walk away with $2 million (withholding paid), but the actual prize was $2,666,666.67 (4/3 times the advertised prize). It's basically a marketing scheme.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4786 Posts
                            Posted: October 12, 2014, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

The rules state that the “Advertised Grand Prize” amount is not the Gross Grand Prize Value, and further down they define “Gross Prize Value” as the prize value prior to deductions for applicable federal and state withholding taxes. My understanding is that the advertised prize is 0.75 times the actual (gross) prize. So a winner may walk away with $2 million (withholding paid), but the actual prize was $2,666,666.67 (4/3 times the advertised prize). It's basically a marketing scheme.

Thanks Lottometro.  Now that answer makes the most sense up to now.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #158707
                              August 31, 2014
                              12 Posts
                              Posted: October 12, 2014, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

if I won the 500 Mil Powerball or Mega Million, I am not greedy ...

I will only keep 15 Mil for my own use and give the rest away ... 

I dont need 500++ Mil 

I would keep just 15 Mil and give the rest to charity ... giving first preferences to single mothers in need ... 

Because ???

Not Because ... It is "Why Not" ???

15 Mil is more then enough for myself, What am I going to do with 500++ Mil ???

and I get to help out the needy of America as well ... 

And of course, I can walk away from this a very happy person as well ... 

Why Not ... Why Not ... 

US Flag

White Bounce

US Flag