Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Funny Scratch off tip story.

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 2 years ago by omiller315.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: October 14, 2014, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

So I ask the clerk for one $10 scratch off.  He gives me the ticket and I hand him a $10 bill with a  $5 tip.  He was so happy.  Then I scratch off my ticket and hit $250.  Wow party time!!! lol  I hand in my ticket to claim my prize and tip the clerk $10.  His face was like is that all.  lol  Do you tip the clerks after a big win?

Party

Glendale
    United States
    Member #151252
    January 11, 2014
    8 Posts
    Posted: October 14, 2014, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I bought a clerk a good lunch after she sold me a $500 winner, but that is about it. I buy most of my tickets out of machines and I am certainly not going to tip the machine. :-)

New York
      United States
      Member #157288
      July 14, 2014
      170 Posts
      Posted: October 14, 2014, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

The clerk will get a tip when they get thier bonus for selling me a jackpot winner!

Pasadena, CA
        United States
        Member #153326
        March 13, 2014
        186 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2014, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

So I ask the clerk for one $10 scratch off.  He gives me the ticket and I hand him a $10 bill with a  $5 tip.  He was so happy.  Then I scratch off my ticket and hit $250.  Wow party time!!! lol  I hand in my ticket to claim my prize and tip the clerk $10.  His face was like is that all.  lol  Do you tip the clerks after a big win?

Party

Eight years ago, I bought a $2 scratcher at a 7-Eleven here in California and won $50. The clerk--a Persian gentleman--cashed my ticket and practically demanded--though not outright--that I give him a dollar for cashing the ticket. Gave him the buck and oddly enough, never saw him at the store again after that night. 

As for your case, the dude earns a wage working at the store and cashing tickets is one of the duties of being a lottery retailer; you have no obligation to give him anything and should have told him so. Although kudos to you for being generous with the $10 tip. He didn't even say "Thank you"?

Georgia
          United States
          Member #158146
          August 13, 2014
          76 Posts
          Posted: October 16, 2014, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I'd tip if I hit a jackpot. Other than that, no, I don't tip.

PA
            United States
            Member #129849
            June 29, 2012
            308 Posts
            Posted: October 18, 2014, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

I've never tipped for buying or cashing in a winning ticket. The only way I'd probably ever do that is if it was a big hit or if the clerk recommended the ticket and I hit decent on it. Otherwise as stated above, you don't owe them anything. They're just doing their job.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: October 27, 2014, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Eight years ago, I bought a $2 scratcher at a 7-Eleven here in California and won $50. The clerk--a Persian gentleman--cashed my ticket and practically demanded--though not outright--that I give him a dollar for cashing the ticket. Gave him the buck and oddly enough, never saw him at the store again after that night. 

As for your case, the dude earns a wage working at the store and cashing tickets is one of the duties of being a lottery retailer; you have no obligation to give him anything and should have told him so. Although kudos to you for being generous with the $10 tip. He didn't even say "Thank you"?

Thanks Chacha.  He did give me a nod of approval.  Also he greets me with a warm smile every time I enter the store now.

It was nice of you for giving the clerk $1.  I agree it is rude to ask for a tip.

FLORIDA
                United States
                Member #127998
                May 14, 2012
                404 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2014, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Im not sure where this tip stuff comes from, the clerks dont throw me money when i blow through a couple of hundred and hit nothing.  No tipping here, besides even a 500 dollar winner will cost you a couple of grand there are so few sent to this area.

biggest hit 10k, Jubilee, 5K Miami Heat, 2K Emerald 8s, 1k jubilee, 1k GRT, 1k heat wave, multiple 500's

good luck in the chase 2013 wins, maybe 4 500's

SARASOTA, FL
                  United States
                  Member #95778
                  August 17, 2010
                  1090 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2014, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Im not sure where this tip stuff comes from, the clerks dont throw me money when i blow through a couple of hundred and hit nothing.  No tipping here, besides even a 500 dollar winner will cost you a couple of grand there are so few sent to this area.

You're spot on LONERANGER ! Why tip a person who hands you a ticket you just bought with your own money ? They had nothing to do with the prize if any that's there. If you bought it from the machine then who do you tip ?

Now, if a clerk give you some hot skinny - like buy that ticket there - one guy just went through 10 duds and the next should be a winner. Then and only then would I give him/her a tip if it's a winner. SO why not have an agreement - if the ticket you said is good is a dud, then you give me a tip :):)

Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #109275
                    April 9, 2011
                    1495 Posts
                    Posted: November 5, 2014, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I think I tipped once. I goto Sheetz all the time and know the regular workers. She told me she had a hunch on the one ticket. It was a $20 ticket and I won $100. Next time I saw her, I bought her a ticket(I know she plays).  Otherwise that is it. Heck I have a regular store clerk who will tell me to avoid packs if it paid $500 and I know he would never accept a tip if I won anything(even a Million). He is truly one of the genuine guys who wants to see people win..