Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed Powerball Jackpot set to Expire in NY

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 2 years ago by JoshUK.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #159822
October 9, 2014
38 Posts
Posted: October 20, 2014, 1:33 am - IP Logged

I was watching the local news and it said a $130 Million Powerball Jackpot was won in New York last year in November. The ticket will expire less than a month from now. My questions are, Why isn't the state releasing video footage so that they can try to find the winner/winners. What does the state benefit from unclaimed prizes? Does it go back in funding the public? Hope the winner comes forward before clock runs out. Also would this be the biggest unclaimed prize in lottery history.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1131 Posts
    Posted: October 20, 2014, 2:08 am - IP Logged

I was watching the local news and it said a $130 Million Powerball Jackpot was won in New York last year in November. The ticket will expire less than a month from now. My questions are, Why isn't the state releasing video footage so that they can try to find the winner/winners. What does the state benefit from unclaimed prizes? Does it go back in funding the public? Hope the winner comes forward before clock runs out. Also would this be the biggest unclaimed prize in lottery history.

Regarding your question of finding the winner, as of last December the lottery claimed to be actively seeking the individual(s). I assume that holds true now.

I think that in New York any unclaimed prize money is returned to the player prize pool. For multi-state games like Powerball, all the participating states receive back their share of the jackpot sales. So New York won't be getting the full $73,356,671.49 if indeed the prize goes unclaimed.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
      Columbus, Ohio
      United States
      Member #128906
      June 5, 2012
      597 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2014, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I'll never understand playing and not immediately checking the ticket.  My mom plays like that... She saves them and I'm checking a stack of tickets every few months.

California
        United States
        Member #141204
        April 7, 2013
        280 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2014, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I'll never understand playing and not immediately checking the ticket.  My mom plays like that... She saves them and I'm checking a stack of tickets every few months.

it seems like not taking care of your tickets is good luck some how. Every month or so there is a story about someone buying a ticket and tossing the ticket in their car or cookie jar and then checking the ticket months later only to find out it is a jackpot winning ticket.

Portland, OR
          United States
          Member #145973
          August 20, 2013
          226 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2014, 11:34 am - IP Logged

People have more than busy lives these days.  Could be a person working three jobs with a 100% occupied mind, a bunch of kids, and no time for the news.  That would suck.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2014, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

I check my ticket within a week of the draw. If there was a top prize winner or the second prize winner from my state then I check my ticket within 24 hours. It's my money and I want it nowJester

That money's gone fo ever

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6305 Posts
              Posted: October 20, 2014, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Hope the winner/s come forward.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

bellport
                United States
                Member #160140
                October 19, 2014
                3 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2014, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

i agree.  cant understand.......

maybe because she knows you will be checking for her.  maybe she's unaware of the expiration length.  i do not go overnight without checking mine.  had a friend who used to same thing.  a few times she lost out on a few hundred dollars because the 180 days had passed.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2679 Posts
                  Posted: October 22, 2014, 11:25 am - IP Logged

if a person can't claim it within 60 days I say let it expire Approve

London
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #140684
                    March 24, 2013
                    566 Posts
                    Posted: October 22, 2014, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

My mum is like that, she don't play that often but she does sometimes pick up a line or two when she's at the grocery store, she will ask me to check a ticket for her online and I will ask if it's for this weeks draw and they will say "no, I think it's for last month!" lol

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2