Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ransom Virus help needed

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 2 years ago by destinycreation.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
kreative1's avatar - flower2
NE PA
United States
Member #127838
May 10, 2012
1230 Posts
Posted: October 30, 2014, 9:55 am - IP Logged

I have been infected with this, I did the microsoft security scan and it removed it but all my downloads and documents have been encrypted.

I tried to restore but older dates are gone, I tried using apache office instead of excel and it's still garbled.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to recover them

ThanksUnhappy

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: October 30, 2014, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I have been infected with this, I did the microsoft security scan and it removed it but all my downloads and documents have been encrypted.

I tried to restore but older dates are gone, I tried using apache office instead of excel and it's still garbled.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to recover them

ThanksUnhappy

Find CCcleaner, there's a free version.

NE PA
      United States
      Member #127838
      May 10, 2012
      1230 Posts
      Posted: October 30, 2014, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I do have that, thanks onymoney...

From what I have been reading this is the most recent one and so far recovery of files isn't possible unless you pay $300

and that's not gonna happen

A change that will benefit victims who wish to pay the ransom are the addition of unique bitcoin payment addresses for each victim. The original version of CryptoWall did not create a unique bitcoin payment address for each victim. This made it possible for people to steal other victim's payment transactions and apply them towards their own ransom. With unique payment addresses for all victims this is no longer possible.

Another change is that CryptoWall will now securely delete your original data files. Originally, CryptoWall would encrypt your data files and then just delete the original. It would then be possible to use data recovery tools to try and recover your data. Now that CryptoWall is securely deleting your data, this method will no longer work and you will need to restore from backups or pay the ransom.

This is awful especially for businesses, dr offices etc

NE PA
        United States
        Member #127838
        May 10, 2012
        1230 Posts
        Posted: October 30, 2014, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

I would recommend everyone download microsoft security scanner to a disc and put all your document files and downloas on a disc in the event you get it because it gets through your virus protection

I am careful about not opening attachments and have no clue of how I got it

This is the info about it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptowall-ransomware-information

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1707 Posts
          Posted: October 30, 2014, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Just Curious:

Is this a computer virus infection or Malware infection ??? Do you have a MAC or PC ???  What operating system - Windows 8.1 or OS Maverick ?? What kind of virus and/or anti-malware software do you have ??? 

Are you claiming that this virus infects your computer and locks you out of all of the files on your computer, and you have to pay someone to un-encrypt your files ??

United States
            Member #160170
            October 20, 2014
            30 Posts
            Posted: October 30, 2014, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

The only time anyone within my family got an infection was when our grandfather wanted to stream a 1960's television show. He ended up downloading a spam pushing virus instead of the "HD Show Player". What were you doing OP? Wink

In serious discussion I also had a friend who downloaded what he assumed was a bootleg movie from a shady torrent site, which he now knows is a big scam, and had a similar infection to yours. The only difference was it was an older version of the virus/malware. When he googled it he found it contained one fatal flaw. The decryption key was stored on the harddrive it infected in a very obvious file. The creators of this virus have updated it since to store the decryption key on their own server. Make sure the virus you had was not one of these old models.

Edit: From what I am reading with what you posted you might have gotten version 2.0 which is the newer killer. No way to beat it yet as it had its own bug fixes. Best case is for people to learn to save all their precious files onto flash drives (64GB are under $30 now which can store many videos, pictures, and other files), cloud drives, or portable hard drives. Personally I would choose flash drives for things you will access often with a good read/write speed followed by cloud storage which you can find fairly cheap if not free these days although you never know who is reading your files. I would not suggest portable hard drives as many brands are iffy and might stop working one morning for no reason or if you pull the usb cable out before it finishes a transfer.

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
              Park City, UT
              United States
              Member #69864
              January 18, 2009
              993 Posts
              Posted: October 31, 2014, 1:56 am - IP Logged

Spend a little money and get an external solid state drive hopefully with USB 3.0 to your computer.  Its extremely fast to backup your data.

Jimmy

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                NY
                United States
                Member #121961
                January 21, 2012
                3157 Posts
                Posted: October 31, 2014, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Have you tried your files in safe-mode.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                  Member #9517
                  December 10, 2004
                  1272 Posts
                  Posted: October 31, 2014, 8:13 am - IP Logged

It won't help Kreative1, but those who haven't got the ransomware virus yet should check out Cryptoprevent. It's available in free and paid versions.

South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #18322
                    July 9, 2005
                    1707 Posts
                    Posted: October 31, 2014, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

What is Safe Mode ??  Is this Ransom Virus an actual computer virus, or  Malware ???  Will Malwarebytes Anti - Malware software help ???