Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"Peeking" is scanning unsold cards to determine winners

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 2 years ago by duckman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: November 1, 2014, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

http://www.necn.com/news/business/Massachusetts-Lottery-Audit-Finds-Problem-Areas-280961412.html

The odds of winning are already terrible and with this "peeking" practice on, I don't think players have any shot at winning at all.

That money's gone fo ever

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: November 1, 2014, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

http://www.necn.com/news/business/Massachusetts-Lottery-Audit-Finds-Problem-Areas-280961412.html

The odds of winning are already terrible and with this "peeking" practice on, I don't think players have any shot at winning at all.

Strange that 'peeking' is even possible especially in a lottery like Massachusetts. In most states you cannot simply scan the ticket to determine its status of a winner...you have to physically scratch off at least some portion of the ticket. I was under the impression this was universal nowadays.

Edit:

From the audit report, "Currently, the barcode used to cash MSLC instant tickets is located on the back of each ticket."

Are you kidding me? Skeptical Wow, can imagine the temptation for a retailer. Scan all the tickets when nobody is looking, pick out all the winners, then sell the rest. Pocket your usual commission plus the winnings.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Mass
      United States
      Member #68073
      December 12, 2008
      217 Posts
      Posted: November 1, 2014, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Clerks cannot scan more than one losing ticket or the system will not allow them to scan another ticket without scratching the complete void code. There is no way for them to scan a whole book of tickets to determine winners and losers. That being said, the state's lottery system software is indeed outdated and is to be updated in the near future.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: November 1, 2014, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

The strange thing is that in MA, players don't have the option of scratching a specific area and scanning to see if the card is a winner or loser without playing it like they do in other states. Only retail clerks have that option and I think even for them, they have to scratch off that VOID area, reveal a code that they enter into the computer for the computer to give a message of "winning ticket" so I don't know how they can know the code without scratching it. Unless there are goggles that can see through that coating.

Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: November 1, 2014, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Clerks cannot scan more than one losing ticket or the system will not allow them to scan another ticket without scratching the complete void code. There is no way for them to scan a whole book of tickets to determine winners and losers. That being said, the state's lottery system software is indeed outdated and is to be updated in the near future.

Can they scan them without scratching off the VOID IF REMOVED area?

**This ticket is not mine. I just found it on the net and need it to use it for this reply

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: November 1, 2014, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Spincognito:

So Massachusetts doesn't have any self-ticket checkers (i.e. player scans to see if winner)? I'm not thoroughly familiar with their lottery.

You also say, "Clerks cannot scan more than one losing ticket or the system will not allow them to scan another ticket without scratching the complete void code. There is no way for them to scan a whole book of tickets to determine winners and losers."

If I'm understanding correctly, all they would have to do is scan one ticket, if loser then wait for customer to bring in ticket, scratch/enter that void code etc, then when they leave move on to next ticket in pack. It would take time but they would be able to get through all the tickets.

I glanced through the report and it seems like the issue stems around tickets with winnings less than $20. The terminals have an auto-cash function that allows retailers to cash tickets by simply scanning the barcode, as long as the winnings are less than $20.

Easiest way to avoid all this would be to implement GTECH's Secure Shield technology, which is basically a barcode that you have to scratch off to scan and requires no other input on the part of the retailer (i.e. scan and cash). Wouldn't need new hardware, just new programming (as far as I know).

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: November 1, 2014, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Spincognito:

So Massachusetts doesn't have any self-ticket checkers (i.e. player scans to see if winner)? I'm not thoroughly familiar with their lottery.

You also say, "Clerks cannot scan more than one losing ticket or the system will not allow them to scan another ticket without scratching the complete void code. There is no way for them to scan a whole book of tickets to determine winners and losers."

If I'm understanding correctly, all they would have to do is scan one ticket, if loser then wait for customer to bring in ticket, scratch/enter that void code etc, then when they leave move on to next ticket in pack. It would take time but they would be able to get through all the tickets.

I glanced through the report and it seems like the issue stems around tickets with winnings less than $20. The terminals have an auto-cash function that allows retailers to cash tickets by simply scanning the barcode, as long as the winnings are less than $20.

Easiest way to avoid all this would be to implement GTECH's Secure Shield technology, which is basically a barcode that you have to scratch off to scan and requires no other input on the part of the retailer (i.e. scan and cash). Wouldn't need new hardware, just new programming (as far as I know).

Players in MA have to play the game. No self check.

Mass
                United States
                Member #68073
                December 12, 2008
                217 Posts
                Posted: November 1, 2014, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Spincognito:

Clerks on any individual lottery terminal cannot scan more than one non winning ticket in any 24 hour period or the machine will go into a protective mode requiring them to scratch off the void covering to cash any ticket. Prizes over $15 already require the clerk to scratch off the void and enter a code to cash.

I agree that Mass should adopt the GTECH technology and as i stated, the lottery is indeed looking to upgrade but I am not sure of when it will happen. Mass still has the highest % of payback to players and is looked at as a leader in the industry.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                  Jacksonville Florida
                  United States
                  Member #23018
                  October 6, 2005
                  914 Posts
                  Posted: November 2, 2014, 11:17 am - IP Logged

The barcodes on the back are not validation barcodes. They are simply a digital representation of the ticket number (usually a long number showing the game number, group number, ticket in the book number, etc), and/or a UPC product code that retailers can scan just like any other product they sell at the register to bring up the price.

The validation bar code is usually underneath a scratch area on the front. I don't think we have the whole story in that news article...