Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are people changing the way they play the lottery?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 2 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19826 Posts
Posted: November 20, 2014, 6:09 am - IP Logged

Hi RJOH,

I understand when you said if you aren't getting the results you want why do the same thing. That's why I am thinking of little ways to change things up a bit. For myself I find it easier to do QP's since I buy just one draw ticket at a time. I was getting a bit stressed out when I was trying to do an analysis and pick my own numbers ( though at times I was a bit more successful than using QP's but that was when I was buying more than one draw ticket at a time). What is OCL is that your states lottery game? It's good that you are looking for better playing strategies. Good luck to you.

OCL stands for Ohio's Classic Lotto, our 6/49 game.

Note: I use RC5 when I'm talking about Rolling Cash5, our pick 5/39 game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
    Member #122468
    February 1, 2012
    530 Posts
    Posted: November 20, 2014, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Sounds like your in a dead zone for scratch offs wins like i am. It's good because it helps me not play.

Hi RedStang,

The dead zone you mentioned was not so much the issue as much as my losing more than winning was. Sorry you are in a dead zone but if it helps you play less as you said that is a good thing. In my town we ended up having 3 or 4 people winning 1 million jackpots and we had someone win a 4 million jackpot on a scratch ticket within the past 2 or 3 years. After that happened I realized the chance of another person winning a big one in my town would be very slim. The problem with scratch tickets is the fact that you have to be in the right place at the right time to win a jackpot ticket and since the printout run on say a 5 dollar ticket might be 25 million tickets and only 5 people will win the jackpot it's truly a needle in a haystack. Also the fact that my state has about 7,000 or more retailers selling scratch tickets make it nearly impossible to win. You also have to take into account that if someone wins 1 million on a scratch ticket and they take the lump sum , they do not start off with a million, they get a lump sum of 650,000, minus in the  taxes and it is probably more like 400,000 (something like that). I like saving myself money and just buying my 1 draw ticket instead when I now play. I wish you good luck and you should feel good about spending less on the lottery.

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: November 20, 2014, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I've started playing online, so now I can play the US and European lotteries. I used to only play my local lotteries but now I can play 'em all online!

Hi noahwill,

Good luck with your playing online that is not something that I've ever done.

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: November 20, 2014, 10:05 am - IP Logged

OCL stands for Ohio's Classic Lotto, our 6/49 game.

Note: I use RC5 when I'm talking about Rolling Cash5, our pick 5/39 game.

Hi RJOh,

Thanks for explaing what OCL and RC5 is. With your OCL it seems like someone can win milloins which we had that game in my state. I never play our states Megabucks game and don't play our states Mass Cash anymore because the top prize is just 100k and I only won 10 dollars twice by matching 3 numbers out of 5.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2014, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I am with you Haymaker. I "usually" won't play that JC5 for less then 250ish as well.

My flawed way of thinking is I wouldn't want to "waste" my win on anything that cannot

payoff the mortgage and these kids college tuition. 

That being said I can't even hit a lousy 50/50 at the local HS Football game.

No flaw there, getting rid of large debts is what it's all about w/ the small games.

Just got back from buying a ticket for tonight, it's now 816g last night was 600some night before 400some...

so these have been trips to the store for just that.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3856 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2014, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Hi haymaker,

It sounds like you play responsibly by keeping things in check and having 1 routine store along with the 4 other occasional places you play at. For myself it doesn't matter what the PB jackpot is in terms of buying a ticket. In terms of MM because the 5/75 matrix make it nearly impossible to get a second place prize I tend to wait until that jackpot gets very high before I will play it. I am not sure what a JC5 is we don't have that in my state. Good luck to you.

JC5 = Jersey cash 5, a 5/43 rollover game w/ a starting JP of 75G

just 2 months since it changed from a 5/40 rollover game, that's when I stopped w/ my own #s and playing every draw.

There have been other changes to this game over the last 18 years I been playing it.

It started out just once a week as a 5/38 game no rollover and the JP went to players w/ 4/5 if no one had 5/5

I used to play every draw of PB and MM, now I realize that's just building it, hardly ever hits on the base.

Good luck to you as well !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19826 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2014, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

JC5 = Jersey cash 5, a 5/43 rollover game w/ a starting JP of 75G

just 2 months since it changed from a 5/40 rollover game, that's when I stopped w/ my own #s and playing every draw.

There have been other changes to this game over the last 18 years I been playing it.

It started out just once a week as a 5/38 game no rollover and the JP went to players w/ 4/5 if no one had 5/5

I used to play every draw of PB and MM, now I realize that's just building it, hardly ever hits on the base.

Good luck to you as well !

Sounds like you JC5 game is similar to our RC5 game(Rolling Cash5 - 5/39 which starts with a $100K jackpot and rolls to someone wins it)

Evil Looking       

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
                Baltimore, MD
                United States
                Member #143332
                May 30, 2013
                398 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2014, 12:30 am - IP Logged

I am focusing more on playing our state's 6/43 game rather then powerball or mega millions.

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2014, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I am focusing more on playing our state's 6/43 game rather then powerball or mega millions.

Hi Goteki54,

I think you are smart to focus on your States game since State games have better odds of winning than PB or MM. Good luck.

United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3856 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2014, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Sounds like you JC5 game is similar to our RC5 game(Rolling Cash5 - 5/39 which starts with a $100K jackpot and rolls to someone wins it)

Your RC5 game sounds better, how often does it hit ?

I wonder how they can offer 100K on a starter when Jersey has to go 5/43 just to offer 75K ?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19826 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2014, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Your RC5 game sounds better, how often does it hit ?

I wonder how they can offer 100K on a starter when Jersey has to go 5/43 just to offer 75K ?

RC5 is structured differently, it pays $1 for a match2, $10 for a match3 and $300 for match4 which is less than NJ5 pays.  Both games aim to payout 50% of sales in prizes but accomplished it differently with different payout amounts and starting jackpots.

Evil Looking       

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2014, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Do some of you change the way you play the lottery? For instance if you played only 2 or 5 dollar scratch tickets have you started to play the 10 or 20 dollar scratchers? Have you cut back on your spending or are you playing more? Have you decided to try your luck in places you haven't played at before? I've mentioned before about my cutting back on my spending and tend to buy my PB and Lucky for Life draw tickets at 1 or 2 places but I think it might not hurt to play in towns and places I haven't played in just to change things up a bit.

I started out Pick3, then switched to scratch-offs. Doesn't make sense to play a 50% payout game when there are 60-70%+ games for the same price.

Now I play almost exclusively $20 games (whatever has the best odds, really), but occasionally I will play a draw game if the jackpot has rolled close to the top percentile. Location, meh, I don't think it matters much but I will vary my play if I think a pack at one store has all the good winners gone.

I definitely haven't played as much this year as last year or the year before, but amusingly I am winning more dollar-wise.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3856 Posts
                          Posted: November 21, 2014, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

RC5 is structured differently, it pays $1 for a match2, $10 for a match3 and $300 for match4 which is less than NJ5 pays.  Both games aim to payout 50% of sales in prizes but accomplished it differently with different payout amounts and starting jackpots.

OK, that makes sense now,

JC5 pays 0 for 2/5

$11 + - for 3/5

$600 + - for 4/5

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19826 Posts
                            Posted: November 21, 2014, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I started out Pick3, then switched to scratch-offs. Doesn't make sense to play a 50% payout game when there are 60-70%+ games for the same price.

Now I play almost exclusively $20 games (whatever has the best odds, really), but occasionally I will play a draw game if the jackpot has rolled close to the top percentile. Location, meh, I don't think it matters much but I will vary my play if I think a pack at one store has all the good winners gone.

I definitely haven't played as much this year as last year or the year before, but amusingly I am winning more dollar-wise.

It really doesn't matter what % they say the payouts are if you aren't getting any of it.  I prefer games with random drawings that I can observe if I wish, that way I can judge for myself if I came close enough to winning something that it's worth trying again.

Evil Looking       

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                              Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146344
                              September 1, 2013
                              1129 Posts
                              Posted: November 21, 2014, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

It really doesn't matter what % they say the payouts are if you aren't getting any of it.  I prefer games with random drawings that I can observe if I wish, that way I can judge for myself if I came close enough to winning something that it's worth trying again.

It really doesn't matter what % they say the payouts are if you aren't getting any of it. 

Somewhat true I guess, but the same can be said about draw games, because the majority payout % in those go to fund jackpots. Why would you play a game where only 50% is returned to players and 60% of that is paid to one person? Why not play a game where 70% is returned to players and only 10-20% is paid to jackpot winners, yet the top prize is still noteworthy and you win far more often? That's one of the reasons scratch-off sales exponentially exceed drawing sales.

For any game they disclose exactly how many combinations win and the respective payoffs, so you can calculate the payout % yourself. It's simple math really and over time the actual payout converges on the theoretical/advertised. This has proved true in my own play and I don't doubt it does for others too.

People like the draw games because they feel more random yet more controllable (i.e. "you pick the numbers") but in reality for any game, you will win through luck. It doesn't matter to me if the game is tic-tac-toe or pick 10, if it has the best overall odds of winning and a decent payout that is what I play.

But that's the economist in me talking. I know the majority of players just choose what's most fun Smile

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1