Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you play a lottery other than your state lottery?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 2 years ago by GiveFive.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2014, 4:14 am - IP Logged

Do you play because your state doesn't have a lottery?

Do you travel to another state to buy tickets?

Do you have a subscription to another state or national lottery?

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

noahwill's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
    Melbourne
    Australia
    Member #160219
    October 22, 2014
    42 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2014, 4:49 am - IP Logged

I play online so I don't even necessarily play lottos in my own country! :)

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2014, 10:14 am - IP Logged

NO

NEGATIVE

NADDA

South Carolina
        United States
        Member #18322
        July 9, 2005
        1704 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2014, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I live in South Carolina.  I am within 1 hour's drive to the North Carolina border.  Therefore, I play in SC & NC.  However, interestingly enough, I have a better intuitive feeling for the NC lottery games, rather than my home state of SC.

It's like my Personal Energy Resonates better with the Energy of the State of North Carolina.  I have always felt more at home in North Carolina, rather than South Carolina

Thus, I always feel Conflicted about whether to choose the easy, convenient option of playing lottery 5 minutes from home at the closest gas station, or driving 1 hour [2 hours round trip] to cross the border, and play in North Carolina, where I  innately feel more tranquility and inner peace, and therefore resonate better with the Energy of  North Carolina and the NC State lottery games

Convenience vs. Resonance.   This is my Dilemma.

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2014, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I have online Subscriptions to the NY Lottery, Lotto and Mega Millions. I can view my subscriptions on the lottery's website. All winnings under $600 are credited to my lottery account, which can be used as part payment for renewals or cashed out.

New York's lottery is an example to other state lotteries with it's online service.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2014, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I have online Subscriptions to the NY Lottery, Lotto and Mega Millions. I can view my subscriptions on the lottery's website. All winnings under $600 are credited to my lottery account, which can be used as part payment for renewals or cashed out.

New York's lottery is an example to other state lotteries with it's online service.

That's weird because NY does offer online services but this is in their rules:

https://www.mynylottery.org/portal/FAQ.do

4.Can I purchase a New York Lottery subscription if I live outside New York?

Yes. To purchase a subscription through the Lottery's subscription center, you must access the subscription center from a computer or other electronic device physically located within New York State at the time of purchase.
            To purchase a subscription by mail, you must provide a New York State mailing address.

So yes you can purchase an online subscription if you live out of state or country, but you must actually be in New York at the time to make the purchase.

19.Why is the location of my PC verified?

Federal law prohibits the sale of lottery tickets, including subscriptions, across state borders. Prior to any online subscription purchase, the computer IP address is checked to ensure that the purchaser is using a computer physically located within the state of New York. Please be aware that some internet companies serving New York also serve other jurisdictions and some of the IP addresses used are recognized as residing outside New York. This could lead to purchases being rejected until IP databases are corrected. Currently, the use of mobile internet providers, dial up connections and proxy servers are automatically blocked because the user's location cannot be confirmed.

So this is different from Massachusetts where you don't actually have to be in the same state to subscribe.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Baton Rouge, LA
              United States
              Member #4602
              May 7, 2004
              699 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2014, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Yes. To purchase a subscription through the Lottery's subscription center, you must access the subscription center from a computer or other electronic device physically located within New York State at the time of purchase.
              To purchase a subscription by mail, you must provide a New York State mailing address.

So yes you can purchase an online subscription if you live out of state or country, but you must actually be in New York at the time to make the purchase.

Federal law prohibits the sale of lottery tickets, including subscriptions, across state borders. Prior to any online subscription purchase, the computer IP address is checked to ensure that the purchaser is using a computer physically located within the state of New York. Please be aware that some internet companies serving New York also serve other jurisdictions and some of the IP addresses used are recognized as residing outside New York. This could lead to purchases being rejected until IP databases are corrected. Currently, the use of mobile internet providers, dial up connections and proxy servers are automatically blocked because the user's location cannot be confirmed.

So this is different from Massachusetts where you don't actually have to be in the same state to subscribe.

I only buy tickets from other states when I actually travel to them. I played the Pennsylvania lottery back in July when I was in Pittsburgh on business. A few years ago, I flew to Boise, Idaho through the Denver airport and bought tickets for the Idaho, Colorado, and my home state, Louisiana lotteries and played them all the same day. Didn't win anything though. I also played the Florida lottery when I had to attend a seminar in Tallahassee. Didn't get any winners there either.

For the states that sell subscriptions only to those in their own state, if someone has the time and is determined enough, they could find a way to circumvent the safeguards the state has in place to keep out of state residents from subscribing. I can think of a few ways to do this, but I don't really think it's worth it unless you really want to play and live in a non-lottery state or want to play specific games not available in your state.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2014, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

NO

Used to travel to Missouri to play Powerball before it and Mega Millions were both available in Illinois.

NO

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DoctorWhy's avatar - 04 05.jpg
                  Indianapolis, IN
                  United States
                  Member #151842
                  January 28, 2014
                  107 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2014, 1:00 am - IP Logged

Nope. Much studying goes into the numbers I play, focusing my attention on anything extra would diminish my results from my hometown lotteries. That is the one I really want to win! Wink

Think amongst Chaos. Play in Order.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: December 12, 2014, 1:17 am - IP Logged

DoctorWhy,

Look up a member called Losing Jeff. He hasn't posted in a long time but had plenty of info about the Hoosier lottery.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DoctorWhy's avatar - 04 05.jpg
                      Indianapolis, IN
                      United States
                      Member #151842
                      January 28, 2014
                      107 Posts
                      Posted: December 12, 2014, 2:23 am - IP Logged

DoctorWhy,

Look up a member called Losing Jeff. He hasn't posted in a long time but had plenty of info about the Hoosier lottery.

I sent him a PM. Looks like he hasn't posted in months. Thanks!!!

Think amongst Chaos. Play in Order.

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: December 12, 2014, 8:43 am - IP Logged

No, it's not weird! I'm an American married to an Australian, we divide our time between the two countries.

Bondi Junction
                          Australia
                          Member #57242
                          December 24, 2007
                          1102 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2014, 9:28 am - IP Logged

I also subscribe the Massachusetts Lottery's Megabucks Doubler, you don't need a Massachusetts address to subscribe.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: December 12, 2014, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I also subscribe the Massachusetts Lottery's Megabucks Doubler, you don't need a Massachusetts address to subscribe.

I sure hope MA lottery is paying you for the marketing campaign you have been doing for them for weeks about out of state players being able to buy season tickets.

Good luck in your Megabucks Doubler subscription

That money's gone fo ever

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                              Cordova,Al.
                              United States
                              Member #104482
                              January 15, 2011
                              4910 Posts
                              Posted: December 12, 2014, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Yes , I play on line, sometime go on a 5 hour road trip to buy tickets,  have friends + family members purchase them for me, they print all my information on the back of tickets then send them to me in the mail.