Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hackers ?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 2 years ago by LottoMetro.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LAKE HAVASU AZ
United States
Member #44729
August 8, 2006
446 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2014, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

So i got into a Topic of the lottery conversation  and a co-worker said "Im surprised a hacker hasn't gotten into the random number generator and "fixed it"

kinda makes you wonder  "WHY" ? hell if they can hack everything else why hasnt that been done yet ...

some day....some day

Wyomissing, PA
    United States
    Member #161050
    November 15, 2014
    301 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2014, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Maybe it has, and we just don't know yet. Personally, I'm far more concerned about the lottery rigging the randomizer verses a player seeking an easy payday.

For example, a lottery may be tempted to rig a digit number game (pick 3, pick 4, etc) to prevent all the same digit from coming up. While such games already have capped liability, there's no cap over multiple draws. That is to say, a lottery assumes over-sized payouts will be far and between; not a common occurrence...

Long-term, not an issue, but short-term there could be a run of high liability hits costing a lottery a bundle - making the profit reports look bad, and hence, a strong motivation to rig the randomizer. To date, I'm not aware of any well known lottery rigging their randomizers, but some have experienced bizarre problems (ignoring some digits; favoring others - search the forums here for more details), so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
      Ontario
      Canada
      Member #109243
      April 9, 2011
      31437 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2014, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

So i got into a Topic of the lottery conversation  and a co-worker said "Im surprised a hacker hasn't gotten into the random number generator and "fixed it"

kinda makes you wonder  "WHY" ? hell if they can hack everything else why hasnt that been done yet ...

You Must Have Missed This Thread

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/283165/3889516

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2014, 11:22 pm - IP Logged
        1. Would need physical access
        2. System is monitored 24/7 so you would be caught on camera. Yes, even if you were James Bond. Multiple fail safe.
        3. Even w/physical access I am pretty sure none of the systems have USB ports, DVD drives etc. which would make it difficult to slip your code in
        4. Say you do rig the RNG, well it will show up in the tests that the auditors run. Auditors won't sign off on any drawing that raises the slightest flag. You might think this can be avoided but the test doesn't care how the numbers are produced, it only looks at the numbers. So even if your code disguises the fact, doesn't matter. The test is conducted separately and rigging would cause statistical bias.*
        5. OK so you somehow manage to rig drawing, sneak under radar, etc etc. Bet the farm right?
        6. Bet too much and it will trigger their system to take notice (reason other riggings have failed).
        7. Conclusion: waste of time

RNGs are usually only used for minor games anyway and the one I am familiar with literally can't be rigged. It is physically impossible without disassembling the whole system, which would require hours and collusion on the part of numerous security and drawing officials.

I could go on and on but the lottery goes to extreme measures to make sure this doesn't happen. Some measures the public doesn't even know about.

*Some states are lazy in their testing procedures or they don't test often enough. Bias can sneak in naturally but it isn't enough to affect the odds.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1