Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My son wins the lottery does his stepmother have the right to claim some of the money?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by OldSchoolPa.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Staten Island
United States
Member #162217
December 26, 2014
4 Posts
Posted: December 26, 2014, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Just a hypothetical...I gave my 20 year old son a NY MEGA Lotto subscription for Xmas. Let's say he wins the jackpot while I'm in the middle of divorcing my wife. Does she have the right to claim any of his winnings just because I bought him the subscription? I registered it under his name and SSI

NOTE: She is not his biological mother but I'm his biological father and they both live with me. 

Thanks

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: December 26, 2014, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

No. He is not a minor and the ticket is registered under his name meaning it's all his money when he wins. You too have no legal claim to any money he wins unless there was an agreement to split the bread between the two of you and if such an agreement exists then she also gets in on the action

That money's gone fo ever

Dudley N.C
      United States
      Member #68981
      January 3, 2009
      555 Posts
      Posted: December 26, 2014, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

He wanted be able to get the until he 21 anyway and since its in his name ,you are she can claim anything, its what he feel about her did she treat his like a mother, did she help raise him, was she there for him when he needed a mother love,remember you gave it to him,so you have no right to expect no more than he give.

Dudley N.C
        United States
        Member #68981
        January 3, 2009
        555 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2014, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

what I am saying it should be his deceived"

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7310 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2014, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

He wanted be able to get the until he 21 anyway and since its in his name ,you are she can claim anything, its what he feel about her did she treat his like a mother, did she help raise him, was she there for him when he needed a mother love,remember you gave it to him,so you have no right to expect no more than he give.

The age limit in NY is 18, the subscription is his name with his SS number, but nowhere on the ticket or in the NY Lottery rules does it say anything about sharing the winnings with anybody except Federal, state, and city taxes. There are several topics discussing how jackpot winners should spend their winnings and sharing with family members was mentioned several times.

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2014, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

You live in Staten Island, and your biggest worry is how to react to a meteorite hitting you on the head? Green laugh

Staten Island
              United States
              Member #162217
              December 26, 2014
              4 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Understood. Thank you for your educated replies.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: December 27, 2014, 12:17 am - IP Logged

Should the situation ever come up you'd better get a real attorney.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Krypton
                  United States
                  Member #140102
                  March 11, 2013
                  891 Posts
                  Posted: December 27, 2014, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Just a hypothetical...I gave my 20 year old son a NY MEGA Lotto subscription for Xmas. Let's say he wins the jackpot while I'm in the middle of divorcing my wife. Does she have the right to claim any of his winnings just because I bought him the subscription? I registered it under his name and SSI

NOTE: She is not his biological mother but I'm his biological father and they both live with me. 

Thanks

I am a real attorney.  He is considered an adult at age 18 therefore she is not entitled to a dime if he does not gift it to her (-:  UNLESS they have a written agreement to do so.  The divorce is between yu and your soon to be ex not you and your children since he is an adult.  Now, if he was under the age if 18 that would be a different story

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

Staten Island
                    United States
                    Member #162217
                    December 26, 2014
                    4 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2014, 12:44 am - IP Logged

Thank you sir. Makes sense for him to decide what to do with the winnings despite of my living situation. Much appreciated :)

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                      NY
                      United States
                      Member #121961
                      January 21, 2012
                      3157 Posts
                      Posted: December 27, 2014, 1:20 am - IP Logged

That's a great gift. Do you have to play the same numbers all year.

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: December 27, 2014, 8:21 am - IP Logged

Thanks

If your son is lucky enough to win a jackpot or a large price, he should get independent professional legal advice on how best to claim his prize.

He may be able to claim the prize anonymously, as winners can in some states. If not, he may be able to claim the prize through a company or trust, he can set up in the event of a win to  maintain his anonymity.

Good luck to him.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: December 27, 2014, 9:36 am - IP Logged

You live in Staten Island, and your biggest worry is how to react to a meteorite hitting you on the head? Green laugh

LOL It's good to dream

That money's gone fo ever

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                            Happy California
                            United States
                            Member #157856
                            August 2, 2014
                            1514 Posts
                            Posted: December 27, 2014, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Good Luck BankHead 2015 ! You are looking forward to next year.  Do get professional legal advice.Big Smile

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7310 Posts
                              Posted: December 27, 2014, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

I am a real attorney.  He is considered an adult at age 18 therefore she is not entitled to a dime if he does not gift it to her (-:  UNLESS they have a written agreement to do so.  The divorce is between yu and your soon to be ex not you and your children since he is an adult.  Now, if he was under the age if 18 that would be a different story

"Now, if he was under the age if 18 that would be a different story"

If the son was under 18, it would be impossible for him to collect any lottery winnings. It's possible to create a hypothesis where the step mother was seeking custody of a minor step child who was inheriting a large sum of money, but that wouldn't be lottery related.