Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New York lottery, online subscription question.

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Ron5995.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
Member #153629
March 20, 2014
129 Posts
Posted: January 5, 2015, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Hi.

I searched the board and found one closed topic about the online subscription that NY-lottery offer, however my question was not answered there so I post the question here in a new topic instead.

In short: I interpret the information on the new york lotto official webpage that, online subscription for NY Lotto or Mega Millions is fine even for me living in sweden, as long as I start my subscription from an computer physically located in New York. I will be going to NY in march. I know that is perfectly legal for me as an non-resident alien to play when i'm there, but if I can start an legal online subscription when visiting it would be even greater.

I'm not sure if Im allowed to link yet to sites, but if anyone would look closer into their subscription FAQ to see if I misinterpret, It would be appreciated.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: January 5, 2015, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Hi.

I searched the board and found one closed topic about the online subscription that NY-lottery offer, however my question was not answered there so I post the question here in a new topic instead.

In short: I interpret the information on the new york lotto official webpage that, online subscription for NY Lotto or Mega Millions is fine even for me living in sweden, as long as I start my subscription from an computer physically located in New York. I will be going to NY in march. I know that is perfectly legal for me as an non-resident alien to play when i'm there, but if I can start an legal online subscription when visiting it would be even greater.

I'm not sure if Im allowed to link yet to sites, but if anyone would look closer into their subscription FAQ to see if I misinterpret, It would be appreciated.

https://www.mynylottery.org/portal/FAQ.do#1

You didn't misinterpret anything! As long as the computer your using is in New York at the time of your purchase, you can get a subscription. Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Sweden
      Member #153629
      March 20, 2014
      129 Posts
      Posted: January 5, 2015, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Sweet...

But any user here that have actually tried this, that live in another country and have started an subscription as a tourist? Or a US citizen that have accessed the subscription center online while beeing outside US? I don't want to start an long term lotttery subscription and not beeing able to acess, check my account from my own country.

Another question, are the subscription tickets sold at the same price as in stores? or are they higher? I can't check this because I cannot register yet as I mentioned earlier.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
        NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3708 Posts
        Posted: January 5, 2015, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Sweet...

But any user here that have actually tried this, that live in another country and have started an subscription as a tourist? Or a US citizen that have accessed the subscription center online while beeing outside US? I don't want to start an long term lotttery subscription and not beeing able to acess, check my account from my own country.

Another question, are the subscription tickets sold at the same price as in stores? or are they higher? I can't check this because I cannot register yet as I mentioned earlier.

I live in NY and have a subscription to NY's online game, Lotto.

I obtained the subscription using my computer which is located within the boundaries of the State of New York.  I'm very sorry, but I cant help answer your question with regard to accessing the subscription center while I was outside of the US because I've never done that.  (I did travel to Copenhagen and Malmo last year, but I didn't access the internet while visiting there.)

The price I paid for the number of lines per ticket is the same as what I would pay if I bought the ticket in a store.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Sweden
          Member #153629
          March 20, 2014
          129 Posts
          Posted: January 5, 2015, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I got the last question checked, the ticket cost is the same online.

However, another question. Info on the pdf subscription form concerning mail subscription differs from info in the FAQ. Here it says that you need to have a physical adress in NY to start a subscription. Is it just a legal thing because this is a snail mail old school subscription and not the online subscription that I want to start.

If someone has detailed answers on my subjcet please respond, if not I will try to contact NY lottery and get answers. If I do I can share them here with you all.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
            NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            3708 Posts
            Posted: January 6, 2015, 12:14 am - IP Logged

I got the last question checked, the ticket cost is the same online.

However, another question. Info on the pdf subscription form concerning mail subscription differs from info in the FAQ. Here it says that you need to have a physical adress in NY to start a subscription. Is it just a legal thing because this is a snail mail old school subscription and not the online subscription that I want to start.

If someone has detailed answers on my subjcet please respond, if not I will try to contact NY lottery and get answers. If I do I can share them here with you all.

When I first applied for a subscription, I printed the pdf subscription form, filled in the required information and sent it along with a personal check  to the NY Lottery through the U.S. Mail.  When it came time to renew my subscription The NY Lottery snail mailed me a renewal form which I completed and sent back to them (along with a personal check) via snail mail.

I was not aware that it's possible to subscribe online.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
              Ontario
              Canada
              Member #109243
              April 9, 2011
              31437 Posts
              Posted: January 6, 2015, 6:49 am - IP Logged

When I first applied for a subscription, I printed the pdf subscription form, filled in the required information and sent it along with a personal check  to the NY Lottery through the U.S. Mail.  When it came time to renew my subscription The NY Lottery snail mailed me a renewal form which I completed and sent back to them (along with a personal check) via snail mail.

From The Link  That Scary Chick Provided

https://www.mynylottery.org/portal/FAQ.do#1

Question#2

2.Can I purchase a subscription through the Internet?

Yes, click here to subscribe to Lotto or Mega Millions through our website using either a Credit Card or a Checking or Savings Account as your method of payment. The credit cards we accept are MasterCard, Visa and Discover. You can also use our e-check option to pay from your Checking or Savings account.

Sweden
                Member #153629
                March 20, 2014
                129 Posts
                Posted: January 7, 2015, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Officials now contacted, awaiting reply.

Sweden
                  Member #153629
                  March 20, 2014
                  129 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2015, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

It seems hard to get an answer from the gaming commission on this topic, I sent my ltetter to info@gaming.ny.gov wed 7th and still haven't gotten any answer. I'm bumping my own thread just to avoid the thread to be closed.

Or am I naive to expect an answer from them?

Wyomissing, PA
                    United States
                    Member #161050
                    November 15, 2014
                    301 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2015, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

My understanding is for on-line subscriptions, one need only access from a computer physically located in NY. Access via mobile phone, dial-up, or proxy server will likely fail. Attempting to get around the geolocation verification is a bad idea, since the lottery could use that as a basis to void one's tickets; not paying out prizes.

Alternatively, an easier, safer way is to play in person at a lottery retailer for up to 26 draws (13 weeks) in advance. Though, redeeming smaller wins could be hassle. An easy work-around is mailing the winning ticket(s) to a friend in NY to cash, and then them sending you the winnings via PayPal or whatever.

If you plan to visit any other U.S. states, some offer longer periods for some games, in particular, Florida - one can purchase Powerball there for up to 52 draws (~6 months) in advance at lottery retailers.

On a related note, despite Mega Millions and Powerball being widely available across the U.S., each lottery jurisdiction administers them somewhat differently, including length of time to claim winnings (little as 90 days to 1 year) and tax withholding. For foreigners, federal tax withholding is ~30%. However, some jurisdictions, such as NY, levy additional state and local taxes (~8 to ~12% - yes, really that much!) on lottery winnings while some, such as PA, don't. Some PA players who commute to New York City play MM / PB there not realizing the expensive tax implications of doing that. Point is, if visiting multiple states, be selective which one(s) to play MM / PB in.

Sweden
                      Member #153629
                      March 20, 2014
                      129 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2015, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Ron, great answer.

To play in advance is an option but I really don¨t want to hand up $500 on the counter in cash to play, I surely know my girlfriend would object if I did it like that on our vacation. And the small win would indeed be impossible to collect from Sweden. Sending tickets in mail also feels unsafe, I wonder if it´s even legal to do that?

I have done my tax calculations, it´s even more taxes when/if these winnings is transferred to Sweden, another 30% are taken by Swedish taxation authorities. Out of $100 about $30 is what remains! Still I would like to have this microscopic chance to legally win those big bucks.

One thing that I guess is a problem is your US definition of state, the NY government speaks on the FAQ about players coming from another state, not country and that player is legal to play when residing in NY. But countries isn´t mentioned at all. The signup process also forces me to chose which State I´m from. So how would arrangements in case of a win be processed if I signed up as living in New York?

Another unanswered question is if/when I play, will I be able to access the subscription center again from Sweden, or will it be blocked?

Many questions and I have no Idea why they won´t answer my questions, are they figuring out an answer or will they just don´t answer my question, because I´m not from US?

They have a form to use for questions but it only allowed 250 characters, so I didn´t use the form. I hope that this isn´t the reason why they don´t answer my emails. I´m used to swedish authorities that at least auto reply that the message has been received. 2 days is an acceptable response time in my opinion.

Wyomissing, PA
                        United States
                        Member #161050
                        November 15, 2014
                        301 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2015, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Some lottery retailers will accept credit cards. And many more will accept debit cards (pin transaction with funds coming from one's bank account). However, it's up to the discretion of the retailer whether to accept credit, debit, or only cash. NY Lottery itself accepts credit cards for subscriptions, and, last I checked, allows retailers to do likewise. Some, such as PA Lottery, are vague regarding payment types allowed. I've occasionally bought lottery tickets with a credit card, even AMEX - not intentionally, but due to the clerk being helpful and asking if I'd like to put it all on the card when buying gas.

Mailing a winning ticket internationally could be an issue, though I'd imagine the risk of problems is minimal for a small winner of $600 or less.

As for taxes. Sweden has a tax treaty agreement with the U.S. that allows qualified filers to offset dollar to dollar taxes paid to the Swedish government from their U.S. federal tax. Since it's highly likely you'd be taxed at a higher rate in Sweden, you'd owe little to no tax to the U.S. federal government.

However, such an arrangement may not exist at the state and local level depending on jurisdiction. NY is very aggressive at finding ways to collect and retain taxes.

If the on-line form won't allow another country to be entered, that's likely an indication subscriptions outside the U.S. and its possessions aren't being accepted. However, before assuming that, take a closer look at the address part of the form to see if there's a free-form address field. If there's a listing of states, scroll through the list and see if there's a "Other" or leave the selection blank - see what happens.

Over the years, I've occasionally sent PA Lottery correspondence through their on-line customer support system and typically receive a reply within a few days, but on one occasion it took many weeks before I received any response - they didn't know the answer to my inquiry and had taken time to research it. That could be what's going on in your case.